Depression and systemic inflamation

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://futurism.com/researchers-depression-may-be-a-physical-illness-linked-to-inflammation/

Emerging research into inflammation and depression...linking it to the miserableness that we all have when we've got a cold/flu.

It became a conversation between my wife and I when on a trip the last couple of weeks. One of her friends has a Masters in psychology and was relaying the content of her masters thesis into using NSAIDs to improve depression and anxiety in a clinical setting.

Our celiac daughter has issues with both depression and anxiety when someone cross contaminates her food...we were observing that, but now it makes a little more sense than a sore belly and "chicken skin" on her arms. (before anyone chimes in on gluten free fads...she'd diagnosed celiac, and one of the most recent episodes was a hand cream she was using in the cold weather...she's that sensitive).

As always...the above does not constitute medical advice...just something that I found interesting, as the black dog is pretty rampant in my Paternal family...I passed it on to the kids, my wife passed on Celiac genes...

I have Hashimoto's which has run amok. The associated inflammation is insane. While I'm not depressed or a depressive person, there is no question that when the disease is active, I feel awful, both mentally and physically. Interestingly, aspirin or advil (ibuprofen) helps. As does prednisone.

If you go on some of the larger Celiac forums, you will see that a lot of late diagnostic celiacs have a lot of other problems (bone, joints, other allergies/intolerance like corn, milk etc etc etc), beside the brain mist/shadow after a cross-contamination or just plain gluten consumption attack.

Also some seems to be really depressed with a lot of people around them not "getting it" what they are going through.

RE: Daughter:

Have daughter and Missus contact the closest celiac club/association for an official/un-official list of products to avoid.
Somebody went through this already...
Also any government agency posting results on this.
This is always a moving target since manufacturing process could always be tweaked/changed.

Another good one may the youtube videos of celiacs that travel to foreign lands.

If your daughter is this sensitive, her and missus may have to go the "make your own" path.

Is your house completely gluten free?
I know it is hard on you; It was on me...
But the only way to control this is to eliminate any "possibles" around her.

Did your son manifest any reaction?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
90% of us are deficient of Mg. which can lead to inflammation.

I’ve been taking it for 20 years now. I get in a lot of pain if I don’t. D3 and B2 are two others that help immensely. I have migraines, so I totally agree that psychology and pain are closely connected.

My wife just bought me Mg maltate for my back a few days ago. She swears by it. I need to get on it.

[kind off off-topic]
dblshock,

after some long period of driving semi, when you get back home, did you notice some back problems?
If yes, what was your cure? (or sequence of cures)

My BIL back problems disappears when he is driving semis (truck chair), but comes back when he is driving regular car (honda civic or nissan leaf) or he is just home

Thank you
[/off-topic]

Gluten problems are true. Ask my wife, We have a Gluten free house before Gluten was a thing.Oats and other grains aren't the best either. Gluten is cheap and it is in most every prepared food product.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

[kind off off-topic]
dblshock,

after some long period of driving semi, when you get back home, did you notice some back problems?
If yes, what was your cure? (or sequence of cures)

My BIL back problems disappears when he is driving semis (truck chair), but comes back when he is driving regular car (honda civic or nissan leaf) or he is just home

Thank you
[/off-topic]
The truck beats the heck out of your back. My neighbor is a retire American Air Lines pilot and was a Naval aviator being bounced on and off of aircraft carriers, his back is beat up.

I supplemented Mg via magnesium malate for a long time but think the Krebs cycle aspect of malate was not working for me. Quit it and went Mg free for a month, now just yesterday started magnesium glycinate. I tend toward some anxiety and so Mg may be beneficial plus apparently the glycine may help with anxiety?

I did Mg. citrate along with D3 for years (40's-50's)..was happy healthy..then a life change: got a new girl, divorced, sold the house in the burbs quit my upscale sales rep work and moved to my recreation home here in the forest..decided to drive semi 4 days on 4 days off but it's regional UP MI. and N. WI. down into paper (fox) valley (Green Bay)..anyway I don't sit long enough to scorch even 50gal. so the back is no problem but the legs sure are...got maybe 5-10yrs left on the knee cartilage but whats happening is the leg muscles are over compensating..it's killing me after I sit an hour...climb in and out of the Peterbilt 40 times a day..inflammation in knees and hamstrings...got to find the answer.

...should have mentioned I stopped supplementing altogether when the life changes began 18 mo. ago.

I wonder if anyone has done c-reactive protein levels on patients with depression. Of course it would also be the chicken or egg situation. Would inflammation cause depression , or is inflammation a result of depression.

Last edited:
I can also report that I have the finest Kentucky bourbon in the freezer just six feet away, I've rolled the chair over twice and the pain has eased...couple more and I can forget about it til morning.

Interesting article. I've heard about the depression/inflammation link.

I can also report that I have the finest Kentucky bourbon in the freezer just six feet away, I've rolled the chair over twice and the pain has eased...couple more and I can forget about it til morning.

maybe give magnesium glycinate a try. The glycine reportedly can help even out some anxiety and/or depression since it's a compound used in the brain or something like that. Mag is highly absorbable as magnesium glycinate. It's right up there with mag citrate for absorption. But again, the glycine molecule it's bonded to for absorbability might also help our noggins...

dblshock,

despite all your heavy life changes, and even on the danger of being blasted by everybody for suggesting,

some of the bourbon should be consumed externally, probably as a cold compress on the inflamed body parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back