Why is my house so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house is not well insulated. I get that. It was 106 today and we had the coolers on which kept the house bearable. The sun set and its now 85 degrees outside. I turned off the cooler and now its 96 in the house! Why did the temp go up and above the outside temp? My wife thinks it's built on lava.

Possibly heat trapped in the attic vented back into the house. My house does that.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You're probably just one good looking dude heating the house up. :p

Came to post this!
cool.gif

Evaporative coolers can only do so much, Guessing here as you used "Cooler" which isn't very descriptive.

If your poorly insulated house is baking in the sun all day....It will act as a big heat-sink holding the heat in 'til it naturally cools down to ambient.

My house is old (1929) but well insulated, I have a big Live Oak on the east side & a big Fruitless Mulberry on the west side of my house. One large 220 window unit keeps my 700 square foot house comfortable for the most part. Today was 105 with 19% RH & it kept-up.

The insulation surely helps, But I think the biggest factor in my house staying cool is the greatly reduced "solar load" from the tree's.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Evaporative coolers can only do so much, Guessing here as you used "Cooler" which isn't very descriptive.

If your poorly insulated house is baking in the sun all day....It will act as a big heat-sink holding the heat in 'til it naturally cools down to ambient.

My house is old (1929) but well insulated, I have a big Live Oak on the east side & a big Fruitless Mulberry on the west side of my house. One large 220 window unit keeps my 700 square foot house comfortable for the most part. Today was 105 with 19% RH & it kept-up.

The insulation surely helps, But I think the biggest factor in my house staying cool is the greatly reduced "solar load" from the tree's.

Wow, 19% humidity sounds great. 100% RH here now. I think we have maybe 5 days a year in the early spring with RH less than 25%.

Great point clinebarger...

Older homes typically have large trees near by. I lived in a rental house with my family in 85. House had monsterous trees to the west especially. A very large and I mean very large pine to the east. One of the Willow oak trees was 32 feet in circumference. They did help a bit for sure. Winter time.... Cold as all get out. Not well insulated.

In large farm homes in a county to the west of me the trees are aligned as what you described. I suspect those properties date well back in time. Aka possibly pre Revolutionary War.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Wow, 19% humidity sounds great. 100% RH here now. I think we have maybe 5 days a year in the early spring with RH less than 25%.

That was in the heat of the day 3:00pm to about 8:00pm, In the morning it can start out at 75% RH & 86 degrees, Then progress to 50% RH at 97 degrees at 11:00am.

Right now it's 92 degrees with 30% RH.

First off a good insulation job is a must. A ridge vent can help, if feasible. Vents on both sides of the attic with a good exhaust fan that is thermostatically controlled works well too.

You live in a desert in California. To me that sounds like the outer rim of heck. Ergo...

I bet your roof is retaining a lot of heat and then passing it through and down to you. Roof materials or attic.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You're probably just one good looking dude heating the house up. :p

Nicely done!
13.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Chris/OP,

Do you have any vents/ventridges in your attic?

Can you post a picture of your house type?
there are vents on each side of the original structure

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I think this is right.

We have a walk up attic which has knee walls that are insulated. Open a knee wall and the temperature in the attic readily rises at least 5 degrees any time in the cooling season.

Shade helps, trees help, control of attic temps help. But the third only helps but so much if the best it can get is 105F. If you're controlling solar effects on an attic, you're really trying to minimize how much hotter than ambient things get. And it won't be perfect. So the attic will be between 105-160(ish) F. All the building materials, even the insulation, will hold that heat. If it's cooler later, it's a matter of if it's still venting and how long it takes to cool back. Could be a very long time.

Add the roof materials themselves, often black dense asphalt, and you have another great source of trapped heat.

Shade trees, other risks aside (dropping leaves and junk causing gutters to clog, falling on house or car, etc) are wonderful for providing shade. We don't have a lot of shade on the hot, pm sun side of our house. It's incredible for as far north as we are, how hot everything gets when baked for a hot afternoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back