Yokohama's new Avid Ascend GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yokohama recently rolled out its new Avid Ascend GT tire. The first thing I thought when seeing the new tire, is that it looks very similar to the DT exclusive Yokohama YK740 GTX. Usually the store exclusive model comes after the brand names model. Interesting this time around.

I compared the two tires on Yokohama's website, size 235/55/17, and the only real difference was the 60K mileage warranty for the YK740 GTX vs. 65K for the Avid Ascend GT.

Just my observations being past along.

YK740 GTX

Avid Ascend GT

Last edited:
The treads look very different to me.
The tread blocks on the GT have center sipes on every row of block, only one inside row on the GTX.
Outside rib on the GTX is paired in 2 block segments while the GT has 3 block segments.

Could anyone who owns the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT physically check for the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol. This tire is rated very high by buyers on tire rack and other sites for snow and ice traction. One of the highest average ratings I could find anywhere for a non winter all season tire.

Email to yokohama said yes it has the severe snow rating symbol. Phone call to Yokohama said no it does not.

I do know the severe snow rating could be added to an existing tire line because it is a test standard. Once the test is completed and approved it could be added as other tires have done such as Khumo HT51. It is rare but a few non winter normal looking all season tires have the 3PMSF symbol/rating.
Goodrich all terrain TA sport LT
Khumo Krugen HT51

Other more exotic looking ones also have recently been introduced. Michelin CrossClimate.

Screenshot_20190328-085428.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back