Straight 30 wt oils SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you agree that all Straight 30 wt oil in the SN rating is close to the same? I talking dino oil like Castrol or Supertech or should I spend better than 2 dollars more a quart instead of getting Supertech.

For all intents and purposes if your engine calls for a 30WT SN oil then any API stickered SN oil would work. That is the reason for the API rating in the first place.

Last edited:
It is fine. Supertech or Castrol or PYB... I have 30 grade in the lady's Camry. Warren Oil 30 grade API SN.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
For what use?

This is a lawn mower and small engine forum so I doubt he means his mini van.

In my B&S engines for grass cutting. I have 2 push, a walk behind string trimmer and one rider v20 hp. I just wanted to know what a name brand 30wt has over a 30wt supertech.

I use a 10/30 sny for my 3 generators because I may use them in the winter. Now I am a fan of the 15/40 in my zero turn which is the hardest used lawn equipment I have. It is a 24hp Kaw. The 15/40 is the oil for my 4 wheeler, diesel tractor and now the 2007 chevy 4.3.

Maybe I should just ditch the straight 30 wt and go 15/40 in its place. 1 less oil to have on hand.

Supertech is fine.
15w40 will work but SAE 30 has an advantage when used in air cooled engines in warmer climates under high loads because it doesn't have any Vii additive in it and holds up better under excessive heat conditions. When using a multi weight oil I strongly recommend synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back