Auto Start / Stop Feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our new Volvo has this auto start / stop feature. This is our first vehicle to have this feature.

It can be turned off, but it defaults back to on when the engine is started up again. Of course I always forget to swipe through the tablet screen to turn it off every time I get in to drive.

I cannot see this annoying feature saving any negligible amount of fuel. I think it only causes extra wear and tear on the engine and electrical systems. So, more harm than good being done.

Does the auto off / on cause extra wear and tear on the engine and electrical system? What are your thoughts?

I rented a chevy small car in vegas, i don't remember which model ( maybe a cruze?). It had the stop start feature. I found it very annoying and not something i would every buy unless it could be completely disabled.

Last edited:
Had it on a loaner BMW X3 and hated it. The dam thing was shutting off at stop signs for crimony sakes! You know whatever gains you get on MPG will be used up and then some on a starter replacement. Plus it was annoying.

My Cadillac has it and I hate it. Unfortunately OEM’s get more “credits” from the EPA if they make this feature “non-latching”. Meaning turning it off only lasts for the duration of that drive. It has to be turned off every time the vehicle is started.

If I can avoid it, it won’t be on my next vehicle. But all the OEM’s seem to be adding this so it’s going to be impossible to get around.

Last edited:
Very common on lots of new car lines now. They have it set up so that it can't be shut off permanently. It's probably one of those EPA things in order to get a better fuel economy rating on their drive cycle. There are some hacks out there to disable it, but I don't think it's worth spending money on.

Both of my MB's have this and yes, it does save quite a bit of fuel--especially in stop and go traffic. I gain between 70 and 100 extra miles per week.

The A/C does continue to run with the engine off, but the computer takes various attributes into consideration when deciding if the engine should stop and the engine restarts if you are sitting for too long.

Europe has had this feature for many years. I am surprised it took this long for it to enter into the US.

Edmunds tested three different vehicles with the system: A Mini Cooper, a BMW 328i GT, and a Jaguar F-Type R.

All three returned about a 10% fuel economy bump on their 80 mile all-city test loop with the system enabled versus the system disabled.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

If there were two gas stations right next to one another and one had fuel for $3.40/gallon and the other has fuel for $3.74/gallon (a 10% increase), how much annoyance would it take you to go to the more expensive station and pay 34 cents more a gallon?

A very annoying feature, being forced on us. There are some aftermarket devices [depending on the car maker] that plug into the OBDII port that can disable it w/o having to turn it off each time you start the car to drive. I'd look into it and see if it is available for your car.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Does the air conditioning shut off when the engine does? the whole thing would drive me nuts.

Yes, the A/C shuts off each time the engine automatically shuts off. And it has been in the 90's here. Terrible feature that cannot be permanently turned off. What a shame, as it is an otherwise wonderful vehicle.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

If there were two gas stations right next to one another and one had fuel for $3.40/gallon and the other has fuel for $3.74/gallon (a 10% increase), how much annoyance would it take you to go to the more expensive station and pay 34 cents more a gallon?

If my car would stay running vs shutting off, i'd easily pay it. How much is that 10% fuel savings going to cover the starter system repairs? You can't tell me that it can stop and start 7-10 thousand times a year and be as reliable as the car that uses its starter 2-3 times a day.

Last edited:
Edmunds tested three different vehicles with the system: A Mini Cooper, a BMW 328i GT, and a Jaguar F-Type R.

All three returned about a 10% fuel economy bump on their 80 mile all-city test loop with the system enabled versus the system disabled.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

Good feedback. But do you reckon that there is extra wear and tear on the engine, starter, battery, alternator and the likes?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A very annoying feature, being forced on us. There are some aftermarket devices [depending on the car maker] that plug into the OBDII port that can disable it w/o having to turn it off each time you start the car to drive. I'd look into it and see if it is available for your car.

I will have to look into that, thank you. I also have to make sure it won't void any warranty on the vehicle. Some manufacturers will look for the smallest things to deny a warranty issue.

Most BMWs can be coded so that the auto stop/start system defaults to off. Many-like my 2014 F22-allow you to switch it off permanently without coding. I leave it on; with the N22 restarts aren't obtrusive and anyway, the motor automatically restarts if the interior gets too warm(summer) or cool(winter).
When I want to hoon around I set the car and ZF8HP to "Sport"- which disables stop/start.

Lots of old beaters with the start/stop feature
27.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3

If my car would stay running vs shutting off, i'd easily pay it. How much is that 10% fuel savings going to cover the starter system repairs? You can't tell me that it can stop and start 7-10 thousand times a year and be as reliable as the car that uses its starter 2-3 times a day.

Hard to say. The starters are probably designed to be heavy duty due to all the starts/stops it goes though. The last car I had, the starter was original when I got rid of it when it had over 200k.

There is a cost though, Mercedes had it in some of their car lines since 2014. Searching one MB forum, starter replacements aren't really a problem yet, seems the main problem is that the aux battery that's needed for the start/stop function goes bad and needs replacing early. Of course if you don't replace the aux battery, there's no start/stop function.

Originally Posted By: Voleak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I will have to look into that, thank you. I also have to make sure it won't void any warranty on the vehicle. Some manufacturers will look for the smallest things to deny a warranty issue.

Good point. From what I was told turning it off is as simple as unplugging it from the port, and no way of telling it was in use. I guess it depends on the application, and the device. If one is available for your car, ask the maker of the device to be sure.

Just another worthless PITA stuffed in there for fuel economy reasons regardless of how minimal in "real world" driving.
Sure it causes more wear and tear on the drive train but they don't care as long as it gets past warranty.

Its like those automatic electric sliding seat belts years ago and no start seat belt interlock that failed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back