Using sealed 2013 Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 in new [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to do my first oil change in my 6.2 Hemi. I bought some 0w-40 Pennzoil from 2013 (from a member on here). It is sealed and had a last minute OCD worry about the oils' age. Should be ok to run or should I save for top offs.

Sorry...not sure how to fix orientation of picture.

Lets see. You spent a fortune on one of the most awesome performance cars ever made and you want to save a few pennies buying old oil from an unknown individual. I would not put it in my Scat Pack that is for sure. However, I am certain most of the people on this site will tell you to run it. To many on this site, the most important aspect of automotive maintenance is saving money on oil.

Not trying to save money...this is supposed to be the good stuff (high PAO). Assumption is this is better than current PUP 0w-40...was just concerned on age. Can use for top offs if necessary...just wanted to check with my favorite people on the Internet. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Going to do my first oil change in my 6.2 Hemi. I bought some 0w-40 Pennzoil from 2013 (from a member on here). It is sealed and had a last minute OCD worry about the oils' age. Should be ok to run or should I save for top offs.

Might as well just use it, it's the correct spec for the car and the car is under warranty, if it blows up you just get a new engine. Spoiler alert, it won't blow up.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Lets see. You spent a fortune on one of the most awesome performance cars ever made and you want to save a few pennies buying old oil from an unknown individual. I would not put it in my Scat Pack that is for sure. However, I am certain most of the people on this site will tell you to run it. To many on this site, the most important aspect of automotive maintenance is saving money on oil.
Seriously? Oil from 2013 that meets specifications and is sealed in the bottle is old and is "risky" to run? Too many people worry needlessly about things that do not matter.

OP - send it to me and I will properly "dispose" of it for you.

Going to do my first oil change in my 6.2 Hemi. I bought some 0w-40 Pennzoil from 2013 (from a member on here).

I doubt the Critic would have sold you bad, outdated oil on here recently. Try to use it up over the next year or two and shake them well before using.

Thanks. The Critic is a stand up guy from my dealings. Take care all.

I assume the 6.2 Hemi calls for the 0W-40 oil?

If so, I would also have no qualms using this oil but like others have said, shake it well.

As far as you pics go, do an edit first (rotate, etc) and save the pic even if it shows normal on your phone or computer.
Mine does/shows the same if I don't edit first, and I think most phones are the same.

Edit: Was there not UOAs done on old used engine oils that sat in the sumps for years that still showed the oil still safe to run?

Last edited:
Would probably be a good oil to run, but without a receipt for warranty, I personally wouldn't use it.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Wrong.

Good point on the warranty Nick1994...will let dealer do oil change (bring them the oil) when they fix the Cruise Control recall. Have a great night all.

Last edited:

Why-not ask this question BEFORE purchasing the product?

Anyways, that is awesome oil, if left undisturbed all those years. Just not sure if the viscosity is too thick for your hemi engine.
Does your manual require or recommend 5W20?

I wouldn't use it because of the receipts.. Plain and simple. To them, you wouldn't have been changing the oil.

Is the stuff too old like SilverSnake insinuates? No.. Although I am not sure if it meets everything necessary spec wise.

You could always keep it for when the warranty expires.

I'd use that oil in a heartbeat (if it's the required viscosity).....if you're worried about warranty...take a dated picture with your cell phone.

PS: If you take it to the dealer there is always the possibility that they use their bulk oil....

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I wouldn't use it because of the receipts.. Plain and simple. To them, you wouldn't have been changing the oil.

Is the stuff too old like SilverSnake insinuates? No.. Although I am not sure if it meets everything necessary spec wise.

You could always keep it for when the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: 08z06
write yourself a receipt and run the oil.

The OP could just purchase some oil for his next OC and keep that receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back