Engine cover function

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the pros and cons of leaving the engine cover off?

What do you guys do? Leave it on or throw it in the garage like I do! I have them on the wall to save space
grin.gif

The way I see it, they serve three purposes:

1 - They make the engine bay look all 'neat and tidy'.. hiding wires, tubes, hoses, etc..
2 - They keep people who might otherwise want to poke around, tinker, etc.. under the hood from getting to things they probably shouldn't. A lot of people know just enough to make matters worse.
3 - They can keep things from falling down into some of the tight spaces in the engine that they cover.

My Fusion doesn't have one, so it's not even an issue. My Altima has one, and I leave it on. I see no reason to remove it most of the time.

On some engines it makes a huge difference in terms of noise. None of my vehicles came with engine covers though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
It's main function is to reduce noise.

Depends on the cover but on our Fusion, it definitely does. On the Fusion, it's almost 2" thick in some places and is made of an almost rubber-like material. After changing the spark plugs, before putting it back on we started the engine and it was noticeably louder.

My Infinit's cover is basic plastic with chrome 'accents' and it seems to be more for appearance and hiding stuff.

On my 06 GTI it's also the air filter housing. Not Practical for DIY maintenance so it usually gets replaced with a CAI type deal.

0703_ec_30_z+apr_gti+engine.jpg

Large, colorfully decorated air cleaner housings used to serve the same dubious cosmetic purpose.

I took mine off, then decided to it back. Perhaps the ignition wiring stays cleaner with it on. It's too light for removing it to be a significant weight savings. It's extremely easy to remove or replace.

I remove it on all my cars. Can't do my daily engine inspection habit if it's on. On the Kia we bought used a few years ago, I found many mouse droppings on the valve cover after I got the engine cover out of the way.

Last edited:
...When the time comes to sell the vehicle your potential buyers, while knowing nothing about mechanics, will notice the cover gone.

Sis' 2012 (first year of Skyaktiv, I think) Mazda3 has a pretty, bright blue cover which became a basic grey in later years.

Imagine a person with matching socks ridiculing you for an absent engine cover.

The front lip of some engine covers are open to the froward flow of air. I wonder if it aides in keeping the wiring etc cooler during driving or when the cooling fans are operating. I always keep my CX5 cover on except for an occasion look. Ed

I believe it was recommended on some vehicles to remove them due to possible fire hazards.
In searching vehicles for my son, I seen many that don't have the cover, including the Monte I was looking at.

I keep them on.

When you service the engine it should be a little less dirty if you had the cover on.

Noise might be another benefit.

The engine cover for our 2.3 EB in our 2017 Explorer makes the engine look "purrdy". I'm sure it keeps lots of grime out of the spark plug wells and any part of the engine covered by it. BUT it it sure makes checking the oil dipstick and adding oil a real pain. They are buried in the dark wells of the cover. You need a flashlight to find the dip stick hole, it's black on black down there. To add oil you definitely need a short wide mouth funnel to add oil otherwise you spill it under the engine cover. It's not one of Ford's better designs sorry to say.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back