Upgrading From 1/2 in Impact Wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, I have managed big fasteners with my torque multiplier but today I could not take off a 1 13/16 in hex size nut securing a driveline yoke on a heavy truck. It is supposed to be torqued down to 375 ft lbs but it has been overtightened. I would estimate it is going to take about 800 ft lbs to to loosen it.

I am considering a Aircat 1600-TH-A with a claimed loosening torque of 1600 ft lbs.
https://www.amazon.ca/AIRCAT-1600-TH-Com...uct_top?ie=UTF8
Will it be able to do the job? Is there another gun I should be considering?

I have a 20 gal Canadian Tire air compressor putting out 175 psi. I will regulate the pressure down to 100 psi and plan on using a 1/2 in hose. I will not be using the wrench continously.

You try turning up the air pressure on your air compressor? I use to be a mechanic at a Honda dealer and am now a semi mechanic. I did a few timing belt jobs at home for people. I had to bump up my air compressor to 140 PSI from 125 PSI to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt using my Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact.
I think the impact you are looking at will do the trick however.

You could also try direct plumbing your air hose and not using quick connects.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could also try direct plumbing your air hose and not using quick connects.

You can use larger diameter fittings. I use Milton H style which is 3/8" instead of the typical 1/4" size most use in the DIY home environment.

Regarding your lack of success with your torque multiplier. In order to drop the pan on a 528e,you hafta undo the 32? mm nut that holds on the dip stick tube, Total lack of purchase due to being unable to push. I put the end of the wrench in the cup of a floor jack and got it loose. This is a lot cleaner job than using a hammer and a dull cold chisel to drift the nut off.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Run the full 175 psi for this.
+1 At work we would crank up the service vans compressors It was really nice to have the power.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I have a 20 gal Canadian Tire air compressor putting out 175 psi. I will regulate the pressure down to 100 psi and plan on using a 1/2 in hose. I will not be using the wrench continously.

CFM is the important thing not just PSI. That gun needs 32 CFM, your compressor will not run that gun very well at all for more than a few very short burst before it runs out of wind.
Guns this size need big compressors, hoses and fittings to run properly.

A 20 gal compressor that runs at 175 psi seems a bit mismatched.

Best would be a larger two stage compressor. But an alternative would be to add a 60 gallon tank. It will take awhile to fill the large tank.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Regarding your lack of success with your torque multiplier. In order to drop the pan on a 528e,you hafta undo the 32? mm nut that holds on the dip stick tube, Total lack of purchase due to being unable to push. I put the end of the wrench in the cup of a floor jack and got it loose. This is a lot cleaner job than using a hammer and a dull cold chisel to drift the nut off.
grin2.gif

In my case, the torque multiplier could not get the nut loose because the the socket would slip off the nut. The reaction bar was about four inches away from the nut and this offset force, coupled with the nut being very thin, meant that the socket would not stay square on the nut. This was at the end of the output shaft of the tranny.

You have plenty of air there. I get by well with a [censored] Campbell Hausfield 6,5 x 26 gallon tank using an Aircat 1250. I don’t fool myself into thinking I get full power but it always works. Remember sometimes they like to tighten to start to loosen. Ack and forth a few times not getting carried away with the tighten
frown.gif
Part.

The aircats are great guns,off topic.

But in your signature you have your Sierra with the nv3500 Trans and a g80,did it come like that or is it a custom install? Must be a awesome set up

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
The aircats are great guns,off topic.

But in your signature you have your Sierra with the nv3500 Trans and a g80,did it come like that or is it a custom install? Must be a awesome set up

Factory stock, it came like that.
No issues at all with the locker and it is really useful when it is icy. Tranny is good though I wish it had a lower first gear. Clutch is good BUT the hydraulic clutch linkage is awful. I have replaced the master cylinder twice already and the plastic clutch pedal assembly once. Since the pedal assembly failure strands you on the road, I want to ensure it never happens again and am fabricating a new pedal assembly, replacing the plastic m/c mount with a steel setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back