Purchased new Stihl weed wacker today

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Echo(18 years old) became harder to start and a tech said the cyl pressure was a little below the acceptable level so I bought this machine, along with 2 qts of Stihl gas. The Echo has been a very reliable machine with only primer blub, spark plug, and fuel lines replaced. I bought this from a Stihl dealer that includes a 2 year factory warranty and an additional 2 year dealer warranty.

Last edited:
You won't regret it. Stihl makes good equipment. My Stihl weedwacker is 12 years old, and works perfectly.

I got so annoyed with my gas powered weed whackers that I gave both (an Echo and a Craftman) away and just bought a 40V WORX battery powered unit. I wish I did it sooner....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I got so annoyed with my gas powered weed whackers that I gave both (an Echo and a Craftman) away and just bought a 40V WORX battery powered unit. I wish I did it sooner....
Operator error.

You bought a Stihl?

I'm so sorry...

27.gif

Just kidding. lol
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
I bought a FS56RC-E last summer. It has been great until this year when it developed a random fuel leak. Internet search revealed a TSB type of thing from Stihl. I returned it to the dealer where I bought it and they fixed it under warranty. I too bought the 2 quarts of premixed fuel to double my warranty. Matter of fact, I only use their premixed fuel given how much I use it in our smallish yard. No worries of ethanol damaging the carb, 93 octane and Stihl HP oil. Good enough for me.

I'm in the market for a new weed whacker too and will probably buy a Stihl. I want a battery powered one though. The last thing I need is yet another gas engine to maintain and a battery powered one should get the job done just fine. I'm going to convert my existing Echo weed whacker into a brush cutter.

Good choice.

I've been using my Stihl FS55RC string trimmer for over 14 years now. I had to replace the carburetor a few years ago, but that was my fault. Word to the wise. Use only alcohol free gas in it. Or premix.

I liked my string so much that I picked up a Stihl BG85C leaf blower. Been using that for over 12 years. Not a single repair, except for spark plugs and air filters.

I picked myself up a Stihl MS180C chain saw a few years ago. It doesn't get a lot of use, perhaps two or three times a year. But it has proven to be a very handy tool.

As I mentioned before, stay away from gas with alcohol and it will give you many years of service. Oh! And pick up a tube of grease for the head. I'm assuming it's a straight shaft? Grease it a couple times a year.

Good buy. I've had my current Stihl for 11 years. In that time I've only rebuilt the carb once and replaced the spark plug once. Had to remove the spark arrestor due to carbon build-up but that's my fault. Been using Klotz Benol Castor oil for years using up my stock I had when I was into RC cars. The easy load head did finally break the center cap last year.

Personally, I would have stuck with Echo. I moved away from Stihl products decades ago when they began to price themselves out of the market. Back then, Echo products were vastly underrated and relatively cheap compare to Stihl.

Now all I buy is Echo.

Since 2007 I've bought Echo Shred N' Vac, two trimmers and a chainsaw. Everything is over ten years old, still running strong with NO work or replacement parts of any kind so far.

Have to say though, the Shred N' Vac is starting to get cantankerous. Still runs OK but slows down when hot. I think the electrics might be starting to go.

The Echo trimmers are nice and light compared to my Stihl trimmer/brush cutter. I seldom use it anymore. it's 34 years old and I've done nothing to it other than clean the carb. Great machine other than costing three times the price of the Echos that replaced it. It's getting hard to start and probably in need of fuel line replacement.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Personally, I would have stuck with Echo. I moved away from Stihl products decades ago when they began to price themselves out of the market. Back then, Echo products were vastly underrated and relatively cheap compare to Stihl.

Now all I buy is Echo.

Since 2007 I've bought Echo Shred N' Vac, two trimmers and a chainsaw. Everything is over ten years old, still running strong with NO work or replacement parts of any kind so far.

Have to say though, the Shred N' Vac is starting to get cantankerous. Still runs OK but slows down when hot. I think the electrics might be starting to go.

The Echo trimmers are nice and light compared to my Stihl trimmer/brush cutter. I seldom use it anymore. it's 34 years old and I've done nothing to it other than clean the carb. Great machine other than costing three times the price of the Echos that replaced it. It's getting hard to start and probably in need of fuel line replacement.

Stihl weed wackers do not cost 3 times more than Echo WW.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I love Stihl products like both the blowers and WWs.

They are not what they used to be. Now, I would go towards Shindaiwa or Echo.

Last edited:
My Stihl is 10 years old now and runs like a top. I normally prefer Echo, however, the equivalent Echo straight shaft trimmer (at that time) did not have an adjustable carb...that was the deal breaker for me.

My 15 year old Echo starts on the first or second pull, and still runs and idles great. Echo now has a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
"Stihl weed wackers do not cost 3 times more than Echo WW. [/quote]"

Twenty to thirty years ago they were much more expensive. Competition has forced them to introduce their "home owner's" line and price them accordingly. The quality of home owner grade products has dropped along with the pricing. Years ago all Stihl products were pretty much pro grade and expensive.

My Stihl trimmer brush cutter cost me $480.00 in 1984. My Echo trimmers cost $150.00 in 2007. Do the math.

Not the same machines however, the cost differential without even factoring in inflation over the last 34 years is substantial.

My preference for all gasoline powered OPE is either Echo or the high quality Japanese brands, which is just about anything coming from Japan.

Since 2002 I have been using stihl! Still great products. Eco sounds & feels cheap once you get used to Stihl.
Echo is available at Home Depot and plenty of parts readily available on web.
Some of the sales people at HD bash Stihl and spread misinformation.
If you use stihl own oil you get warranty extension.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Since 2002 I have been using stihl! Still great products. Eco sounds & feels cheap once you get used to Stihl.
Echo is available at Home Depot and plenty of parts readily available on web.
Some of the sales people at HD bash Stihl and spread misinformation.
If you use stihl own oil you get warranty extension.

I got the warranty extension(2 years extra) by buying 2 qts of pre-mix fuel with the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back