Midair collision in Everglades

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the dark, real dark, with no ground reference (like, over the Everglades at night, or perhaps, over the ocean at night) it's very hard to distinguish the position lights of an airplane from things like stars...there is no reference horizon.

Spatial disorientation (a la JFK Jr. over the ocean at night) is hard to avoid in that environment.

Put the two together, and a mid-air becomes much more likely...

But that doesn't mean that those factors explain this accident. This flight school seems to have a bit of a history, from the news article, "Investigators have already been looking into the Dean International Flight School this year following another small plane crash in May. At that time, records showed there had been 23 incidents involving the school that required investigation within the past 10 years."

hmmm....

Last edited:
Mid air collisions are more likely between a low wing Piper and a high wing Cessna aircraft... sometimes its tragic other times comical...

Last edited:
Roughly the same area, yes. There was the Eastern Flight 401 crash out there in the early ‘70s. It was a dark, moonless night and the crew got distracted by a faulty light bulb!

I don't know exactly where the accident happened. However, the area West of Miami includes designated training areas and the chart urges caution due to high GA traffic.

In addition, the Class C airspace around FT Lauderdale and the Class B airspace around Miami conspire to concentrate little aircraft below the "shelf" of the controlled airspace. I've flown just West of town, over the Everglades many times. If something happens, there is zero chance of a good outcome. Due to the nature of the airspace, the altitude restrictions and the lack of suitable places to land.

This accident comes as no surprise.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Roughly the same area, yes. There was the Eastern Flight 401 crash out there in the early ‘70s. It was a dark, moonless night and the crew got distracted by a faulty light bulb!

I don't know if there is a dumber crash than 401, but 401 is definitely the dumbest I have ever heard of. The idea if an entire group of trained professionals leaving an airplane carrying human lives to its own devices simply to gather around and gawk at a bad light bulb, like some old ladies obsessively admiring a new smokeless ash tray is beyond startling.

I suppose Valujet was almost as stupid, but not that stupid.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I suppose Valujet was almost as stupid, but not that stupid.

I don't know if I would call the Valuejet accident "stupid". At least not from the pilots standpoint. Does the Captain and First Officer have control of what goes into the cargo hold, and how? Are they told in advance if anything dangerous is placed on board? And are oxygen canisters considered dangerous in the first place? After all they are designed for use in aircraft. (Perhaps Astro can chime in here)? If not the pilots had no way of knowing if those oxygen canisters were improperly or dangerously loaded. In that they could be triggered in flight.

Regardless, once that fire started in the cargo hold, that aircraft was doomed. It wouldn't have mattered who was flying it.

The crash of Valujet 592 wasn't stupid.

It was criminal.

The pilots never knew what was loaded (and the Captain must be told, before the airplane leaves the gate, of any dangerous goods).

The ground crew, employed by Sabertech (sp?), deliberately hid the fact that they were shipping oxygen canisters, which are OK if installed, but prohibited (now, and then) in the cargo hold. They listed the canisters as depleted on an internal manifest, when in fact, they were live. Then they changed the pilot notification and manifest to read "COMAT" or non-hazardous company material.

Worse, they were thrown loosely in a box, instead of individually packaged, and even worse, instead of having the protective cap (protecting the initiator) installed, a piece of scotch tape was placed over the pin.

The oxygen canisters are initiated by that pin, easily moved (it's what starts the flow of oxygen when you pull down your mask in many airplane types). When they start up, they get hot, about 600F, and produce pure O2.

So, they threw dozens of pyrotechnic devices, that create both high heat and oxygen, without safeguards, in a box.

And put that in an airplane.

Next to a bunch of tires. Which are flammable, if exposed to...yep...heat and oxygen.

And they knew what they were doing was illegal, and they hid it.

Once that airplane taxied out, with essentially a bomb on board, it was doomed.

During taxi, a canister shifted, and began producing heat and oxygen. Shortly after takeoff, a "boom" was heard. One of the tires in the cargo bay had exploded. Fuel, heat, and more pure oxygen. A raging fire took place under the cockpit. Passengers and flight attendants could be heard screaming on the CVR. Electrical failures cascaded throughout the airplane. Then the airplane rolled over and hit the swamp going straight down.

It's not clear if the pilots died from smoke inhalation* or if the control cables burned through resulting in a crash. But it matters little. The cables would've burned through, or the aluminum structure would've failed from heat, prior to them reaching Miami.

Criminal charges were filed, if I recall...and personally, I would be OK with summary execution.

Firing squad, preferably.

No blindfold.

*Very few remains were recovered from Valujet 592. Some teeth, a jawbone, a few bits. Nothing at all of the pilots. The angle and speed of impact destroyed nearly everything.

In other onboard fire incidents in which remains were recovered, toxicology performed on the flight crew showed significant poisoning from smoke absorption through their eyes and skin. They were on oxygen, so they didn't get smoke in through their lungs. There is a pilot push for retrofitting the now-standard full face masks, which provide pure oxygen to pilot's eyes as well as nose and mouth, to older airplanes, but no regulatory impetus yet supports it.

Swiss Air 111 is another case of mechanic/engineering negligence bringing down an airplane via onboard fire. The crew had significant toxins in their blood. Despite the airplane hitting the ocean at over 300 mph, most of the airplane, crew and passengers were recovered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back