Grits

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you like them?

For me lots of butter salt and pepper... the more the better. Not a huge fan of cheese grits, but I'll eat it. Another way I like it is to put leftovers in the fridge to let it firm up. Once firm, cut into sections and batter or breadcrumb and fry it.
thumbsup2.gif

Seems it's one of those foods that you either love or hate.
Generally speaking, most people that I've seen hate it tend to live in non "southern" states.
A reason for the strong dislike I hear frequently is that said individual didn't "grow up on it" That's [censored] to me, plenty of foods that people enjoy that you didn't "grow up on"

So to those who hate grits, why is that? How have you eaten them?

Last edited:
I like to get grits with butter with breakfast when I'm down south, and I grew up in and presently live in the north.
I think cheese grits sound good, but I haven't tried them.
The first few times grits were served to me, I ate them plain and didn't care for them.
Kind of like how I ate sushi without wasabi and soy sauce the first few times and didn't like it.

Now, grits are OK the right way, but biscuits and white sausage gravy...oh man, that is some real eating!

[kind off off-topic]
I grew up on semolina grits (Eastern Europe):
The real treat was, semolina boiled in milk (whole) with a pinch of rock salt, then on top sour cherry or black cherry confiture...

I never saw the white corn until I come to US, so I also grew up on a very hard, thick (had to be cut with a string and not run from the wooden board it was dumped on) polenta made from ground yellow corn. The best was made in a cast iron, well seasoned pot.

The best meal of my childhood was the couple big pieces of polenta in a bowl of freshly boiled milk (fresh from the cow and boiled in the same pot where polenta was made).

My shepherd uncle variant:
-instead of water, use whey, then add whatever sausage, meat, preserved meat (sheep/pork/beef/veal) they had available, then the grease in which they fried the sausage/meat, then whatever crumbled cheese (usually feta) on hand (remember, they had a sheep heard close). Cooked on a BIG pot over fire.
[/kind off off-topic]

Red eye gravy and grits yummy.

I like them with salt, pepper, and butter. Every now and then I will put about a teaspoon of sugar in them too.

I grew up eating them, and instant grits is not as good as the hard grits.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
With heavy cream, chicken stock and smoked gouda cheese as an occasional treat.
grin.gif

That sounds like something I need to try.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Red eye gravy and grits yummy.

I like them with salt, pepper, and butter. Every now and then I will put about a teaspoon of sugar in them too.

I grew up eating them, and instant grits is not as good as the hard grits.

Where do you get hard grits? I only ever see the instant kind in the store.

Originally Posted By: Walmill
Where do you get hard grits? I only ever see the instant kind in the store.

Try an ethnic spanish, indian, south-east asian or multi-cultural grocery store.

Or you can follow your name and find a local grain mill....

Love them with butter, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Add fried eggs and spicy sausage patties. Wonderful breakfast.

Mom's from the South....had 'em plenty of times....I like grits.

Grits here is ground white corn. In Swedish all hot cereal is Grot (my keyboard has no umlaut for the O) pronounced 'greoht'.
Gotta be where we got the word.

Anna Manna Grot is my fave in Sweden.

Do people that dislike grits also dislike rice and pasta? They're all similar in that they are not culinary delights served plain.

GRITS LUV'EM I'LL EAT THEM ANYWAY I CAN GET MY FILL. SALT PEPPER BUTTER MILK CHEESE MIX MY EGGS AND BACON IN THE GRITS

Being from the South, grits were mainly what we had for breakfast as a child. Over easy fried eggs or scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage (fresh not smoked). Cheese grits are another option. Add extra sharp cheddar after the grits are done and stir in until melted. Many people just don’t know how to cook them. I prefer long cooking yellow grits to the white or quick grits. Here’s how it’s done: 1 part grits to four parts water, salt and pepper to taste. Bring water to a rolling boil and stir in grits, turn down to simmer while continuing to stir then puta lid on then and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir some more and check the consistency. You don’t want runny grits. We also have cheese grits with fried catfish. There is a brand I recommend, Lakeside Mills Yellow Grits.
http://lakeside-mills.mybigcommerce.com/lakeside-yellow-grits-2lb/

Plate of eggs, bacon, hash-browns, open biscuit with gravy. Pour your bowl of grits on top to cover everything. Salt, pepper, butter, enjoy! Life southern style.

Forget grits. Try oatmeal as it is better for your heart. Nothing beats oatmeal with crispy bacon and smoked sausage. Yummy.

I love grits, especially with bacon, cheese, butter, and salt & pepper. I like them thick, not too runny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back