Article on the use of thin oils and why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen this one? I apologize if I'm late or reposting, but I being a "thick oil advocate" found it very enlightening!

Quote from the article...

"In plain terms, an effective corporate financial “fix” for this “problem” that engineering advancement has created, would be to specify 20-weight oils, which WILL cause a compensating increase in engine wear rates because that viscosity is too low to provide optimum engine protection."

Link to complete article: https://ultimatesyntheticoil.com/ford-5w20/

Have fun!!

Brought to you by an Amsoil Authorized dealer. (top of literature)

Not sure it qualifies as an article.

If you were already a thick oil advocate, I don't think "enlightening" is the right word. "Gratifying" is probably more accurate.
wink.gif

Lots of rank speculation in this article, hedged with the occasional use of words like "probably". I don't buy it.

Ask the big tractor puller guys why they will not use thin syn oil in their rigs. They can't keep crank bearings in them. The farmer in our town is the 2 time national unlimited champion with 12,000 Hp from 4 full blown engines. He will not run syn oil because he had to put crank bearings in every weekend pull. Went back to using conventional oil and can run almost all season now on same bearings. A lot of the other pullers have found the same thing. Their is a lot of marketing involved in syn thin oil. And its not for the benefit of the consumer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Ask the big tractor puller guys why they will not use thin syn oil in their rigs. They can't keep crank bearings in them. The farmer in our town is the 2 time national unlimited champion with 12,000 Hp from 4 full blown engines. He will not run syn oil because he had to put crank bearings in every weekend pull. Went back to using conventional oil and can run almost all season now on same bearings. A lot of the other pullers have found the same thing. Their is a lot of marketing involved in syn thin oil. And its not for the benefit of the consumer.

I don't doubt the anecdote is accurate. Just not sure where the correlation between Tractor Pulling and the average consumer's vehicle is.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse

You would have thought that someone who put all the time and money into such a machine would have been smarter than to use the improper oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I don't doubt the anecdote is accurate. Just not sure where the correlation between Tractor Pulling and the average consumer's vehicle is.

Once you realize that the "average consumer vehicle"'s engine works somewhere in between the regime of a stand mounted, constant rpm and/or load engine in a lab; and the regime of a pulling tractor's engine. You have to admit that it's either not correlated to any of them, or that it's correlated to both.

Turbos, DI, and 0w20 do NOT mix!
31.gif

TGDI + 0w20 = LSPI + fuel dilution

People that switch to 5w30 have a lot less problems
smile.gif

While cars do not experience the extreme pressures of tractor pullers the one point that is clear is--the heavier oil has a demonstrably stronger film strength and going to a syn oil does not equalize the loss of thickness.

Hey... I like fishing
smile.gif

Nothing better than a largemouth bass hitting your top water torpedo.
lol.gif

I will say this about this topic....

Thin oils are fine for econoboxes, lightly driven vehicles aka 95% of vehicles in the US, and vehicles driven by our older drivers.

Heavier oils are better (in my opinion) for hard driven cars, trucks that are hauling heavy loads, cars that are road raced, or drag raced. There's a reason Porsche A40 and C30 are about the toughest specs to meet. There's a video showing the test right for that and it is very impressive.

If I had a GDI turbo motor that was high power density in nature... I'd like a 5w30 Dexos gen 2 approval and a HT0-06 one. Dexos tests new oil while the HT0-06 tests older used oil. I believe that the HT0-06 is better in terms of testing for deposit formation in comparison to TEOST test. Only oils that meet both... Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30, Pennzoil Platinum, and I think Quaker State ultimate durability.

It's all about the original form and function of the platform. Then getting a oil that meets those requirements. Thin for some are fine... And thicker for others is fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey... I like fishing
smile.gif

Nothing better than a largemouth bass hitting your top water torpedo.
lol.gif

I will say this about this topic....

Thin oils are fine for econoboxes, lightly driven vehicles aka 95% of vehicles in the US, and vehicles driven by our older drivers.

Heavier oils are better (in my opinion) for hard driven cars, trucks that are hauling heavy loads, cars that are road raced, or drag raced. There's a reason Porsche A40 and C30 are about the toughest specs to meet. There's a video showing the test right for that and it is very impressive.

If I had a GDI turbo motor that was high power density in nature... I'd like a 5w30 Dexos gen 2 approval and a HT0-06 one. Dexos tests new oil while the HT0-06 tests older used oil. I believe that the HT0-06 is better in terms of testing for deposit formation in comparison to TEOST test. Only oils that meet both... Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30, Pennzoil Platinum, and I think Quaker State ultimate durability.

It's all about the original form and function of the platform. Then getting a oil that meets those requirements. Thin for some are fine... And thicker for others is fine.

You are posting way too much common sense bbhero. Some may not understand it.

Most engines today loaf around at 2000 rpm give or take a few hundred. They hardly work at all which in a sense is a part of the problem. Engines like to be wound up. They hate to be lugged.

I think it's safe to say that your application and usage in many cases is more important than the actual oil used. That might be especially true for cars that are spec'd for thinner viscosity oil...but that's what makes this "thick vs. thin" thing on here a permanent argument because it means 112 different things to 175 different people. This board tries to continually shoehorn it into a blanket statement with almost daily fishing expeditions that might apply, might not apply, or might conditionally apply to your circumstance.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think it's safe to say that your application and usage in many cases is more important than the actual oil used. That might be especially true for cars that are spec'd for thinner viscosity oil...but that's what makes this "thick vs. thin" thing on here a permanent argument because it means 112 different things to 175 different people. This board tries to continually shoehorn it into a blanket statement with almost daily fishing expeditions that might apply, might not apply, or might conditionally apply to your circumstance.

Well stated.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey...

And I would pick ACEA C3 in 5w40 grade (they are rare...but do exist....Valvoline 5w40 MST for an instance)....C3 for less ash and sae40 for better protection...

Last edited:
If you can call some oil dealer's web page an article...

Skipping over it quickly, it's full of rubbish. Most people on BITOG can write a better article. It's funny how the Amsoil made him update his story last year: We make xW-20 oil and you're our dealer and you'd better stop this nonsense.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back