DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I have 4 motorcycles in the garage and seems like I am using Brake fluid on the cars, as well as bikes for brake bleeding.

Motorcycles call for DOT 4, so was wondering where should I buy DOT 4 fluid in a gallon for cheap?

I can get a 32 fl oz of Valvoline at AAP and Walmart has Prestone 12 fl oz.

Do you guys have any preference or suggestions for buying DOT 4(compatible with DOT 3) by gallon locally or online for cheap?

Thanks for the help.

Isn't brake fluid commonly referred to as DOT 3 & 4?

Does this not imply that the DOT 3 spec is from the distant past and we should simply go to DOT 4?

NOTE: DOT 5 is different and you should know if your vehicle calls for it or not.

Also, do you use enough brake fluid to go through a gallon fast enough. The stuff absorbs moisture (as it is designed to) once the seal is broken.

Obviously if you use enough of the gallon fast enough you could just recycle what you don't use if the math works out.

I do not know the time frame for opened brake fluid even in a closed container.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Does this not imply that the DOT 3 spec is from the distant past and we should simply go to DOT 4?

NOTE: DOT 5 is different and you should know if your vehicle calls for it or not.

Also, do you use enough brake fluid to go through a gallon fast enough. The stuff absorbs moisture (as it is designed to) once the seal is broken.

Obviously if you use enough of the gallon fast enough you could just recycle what you don't use if the math works out.

I usually seal the container really tight using some aluminum foil or a plastic bag. So far I have seen container not absorb moisture(change color) for at least 2 years.

Not saying it'll be perfectly fine, hence asking the question.

Originally Posted By: Kira

DOT 3 absorbs moisture at a slower pace, but has a lower boiling point. Probably good enough for a car that never sees the track, but DOT 3 is an old spec, you are correct. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 can all be mixed, but DOT 5 is silicone based and has specific applications. DOT 5 does not absorb water if I recall.

I'm not so sure about brake fluid absorbing moisture once the seal is cracked. If you store it inside away from fluctuating temps you should be OK for at least a year. Brake fluid is cheap, but there is no reason you should recycle 1/2 a bottle because you are worried about water getting to it. I think that theory came about to motivate people to not use questionable brake fluid as that is dangerous. Brake fluid that is only used by you, stored in an appropriate environment should be fine in anything but an ambulance, police car, or firetruck.

EDIT: No need for a giant jug, I can do all four corners on my car with a litre. I would rather a fresh bottle every time, than having a gallon jug that I thought I would use but now is a little too old to trust.

Last edited:
Valvoline DOT 3/DOT 4 at any Advanced Auto. I'd purchase it by the pint or quart so that you don't have a lot of it sitting around. Even tightly capped.

Last edited:
AAP is the way to go for Valvoline
thumbsup2.gif

How much fluid do those bikes take?
crazy2.gif

A quart/liter isn't enough?

I'd buy Bosch ESI6, Ravenol DOT 5.1 non-silicone, or Wagner Severe Duty, or Pentosin DOT4 LV

But if you still want it by the gallon, AAP has the Pentosin LV by the gallon at a fair price. There is also Castrol DOT 4 which is sold by the gallon as well.

How about Supertech DOT 3 brake fluid? Since I need to pick up some tomorrow for the 05 Matrix.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How about Supertech DOT 3 brake fluid? Since I need to pick up some tomorrow for the 05 Matrix.

Thanks SS, but DOT3 won't work in the motorcycles
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How much fluid do those bikes take?
crazy2.gif

But if you still want it by the gallon, AAP has the Pentosin LV by the gallon at a fair price. There is also Castrol DOT 4 which is sold by the gallon as well.

Any idea where can I get the Castrol?

Some of these LBS can take up to a liter in bleeding
frown.gif

Try O'Reilly. They seem to have a generic Dot 4 brake fluid that's about $31 for a gallon. I use Petosin Super Dot 4, specs for wet/dry boiling points are higher. Valvoline Dot 3 & 4 specs are toward the lower end. Castrol also has good specs if you can find it. Found it once, but not too many places seem to carry it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/pur.../931240/4615994

Amazon has 3 gallons of Castrol brake fluid for about $100. Various online sellers seem to charge about $50 for just one gallon.

But the container of Pentosin LV is actually 5L. AAP has it for $60 regular price, but with promo code MKT25 it's only $45

Pentosin also makes something called "Super DOT 4" which is still good stuff, but regular viscosity. The 5L bottle is $45 regular price, $35 with the promo code.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
DOT 4 LV low viscosity brake fluid is the future and some Fords, VW and Audi's have specified it for years.

Is there any value in running a DOT 4 LV in a standard DOT 3 vehicle?

Originally Posted By: nobb
DOT 4 LV low viscosity brake fluid is the future and some Fords, VW and Audi's have specified it for years.

Higher boiling point without the increased viscosity so it plays well with certain ABS systems.

There certainly is in Canada, where it's chilly, and the lower visc would probably help up there.

It also benefits any car with ABS, where it can react faster (many ABS passages are very thin and the tiny channels will benefit a great deal from it)

In any case, there is no harm in using LV
smile.gif

You mean aside from it costing about $1 more a quart for Pentosin Dot 4 LV at Advance Auto?

My Mercedes specs Super Dot 4, but not LV. Aside from the extra $1 cost, I just figured I'd stick to whatever the manufacturer spec is.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_brakefluid.asp

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There certainly is in Canada, where it's chilly, and the lower visc would probably help up there.

My benefit is getting Castrol LMA DOT 4 significantly cheaper than even jobber DOT 3.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back