Another headlight "restoration" using 3M kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of 3M's headlight renewal system-- they come in three flavors, basic, plus (includes high quality masking tape) and top-of-the-line (includes masking tape and 3M sealant for a final coat).

This one was the "plus" edition which had the masking tape which is a necessity unless you have an older car or you don't care about leaving scratches on the surrounding bumper/fascia. 3M's kit takes a while-- it took probably an hour each side, and I haven't even sprayed down the mess it made around the headlights (which you can see in the pics.) The time spent is well worth it, the results are pretty amazing every time. I get about 18 months before the plastic starts to cloud and yellow again, requiring reapplication. Not bad for a $20 kit. I'm surprised this is not a universal pre-sale procedure at used car lots- it adds huge value to a used car IMO.

This is a used 2007 Chrysler Pacifica Limited with 129k miles I purchased recently for $5k. The headlights were yellow, and the motor mounts were shot when I bought it. I was able to negotiate the price down a fair bit because of these two things. A couple afternoons and both are fixed. This particular car has the $595 (when new) Xenon HID option which is only available on Limited models-- The 3M kit did a fantastic job, I topped it off with some good synthetic wax, but in the future I'll spring for the version that includes 3M's sealer.

The spatter from the rubbing compound/polish look like scratches in the photos, but it'll wash right off.

zYCMl.jpg

zY21Q.jpg

zYtY7.jpg

I need to do my Father's Buick Allure. Just can't decide to try a kit or just use my new DA polisher and some compound?

I need to do some reading/research first.

Your's turned out great.
11.gif

Spray some WD-40 on a paper towel, wipe it on your yellowed headlights, and wipe off with a new paper towel. Takes about 30 seconds per side.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
Spray some WD-40 on a paper towel, wipe it on your yellowed headlights, and wipe off with a new paper towel. Takes about 30 seconds per side.

Yeah no.

If they're heavily oxidized, they need sanding. No way around it.

I have had similar success with the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit on my Santa Fe. It includes a UV block clear coat, which aids in longevity of the results. Also has a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the car. I applied mine late last fall, and so far looks great.

I've had good results on 'simple' headlight assembly designs (like shown in the OP). On my G35 they're way too 'curvy' for me to get consistent sanding and polishing. It was pretty frustrating but at least I was able to make a tiny, tiny improvement (vs making them worse than they were).

I use various grades of sandpaper going to 3000 grit the then I followed with Rustoleum clear coat, next time I'll try a top coat that is specific to auto headlights.

I so miss the days of glass headlights.

I also use Meguar's PlastX, but it's only a restorer, it doesn't protect. I have to do it 2 or 3 times a year despite spray waxing my headlights every week.

Walmart TLE has a headlight restoration service that runs $29.99 or so. I thought maybe they just use a simple wipe restorer on it. But come to find out from one of the techs that works there that they use a 3M kit. Nothing is done by hand. Many turn out well but others only show moderate improvement. For instance on some Nissans.

Here's the kit they use.

Originally Posted By: Broo
I so miss the days of glass headlights.

My '96 Maxima was the last year for glass headlights, 97+ got plastic. I like and dislike them at the same time. Like the fact they never dull, wear out, get dirty, just solid efficient lightning. Dislike when it's put against another car with GOOD (non-worn) plastic lenses, the difference in light output is noticeable. My glass lenses are 1/4" thick or more, it just can't hold a candle (pun not intended
smile.gif
to the same halogen bulb shining through a 1/8" piece of clear plastic.

But I digress, all the 97+ Maxima's headlights I see are so yellowed and dull, I'll gladly keep my ordinary glass headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back