Resuing mower oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, so i have this idea. My small engines are all filterless. So the oil gets dirty, and i change it. Why? Risk of high wear metals of course. But the pil is probably still in great shape. So ive been sacing it and plan to reuse it. Heres my plan. Have 2 buckets, 12v oil pump, and a bypass filter base and filter. Run the whole batch thru and then get a uoa and see where its at. I normally am a Valvoline guy, but for my mowers i just use any leftover synthetics from work from using qt bottles. I have 5w30, 5w40, and 5w50 of various brands all mixed together. Should be interesting. Ill do it at the end of the season. Anyone else do something like this?

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Ok guys, so i have this idea. My small engines are all filterless. So the oil gets dirty, and i change it. Why? Risk of high wear metals of course. But the pil is probably still in great shape. So ive been sacing it and plan to reuse it. Heres my plan. Have 2 buckets, 12v oil pump, and a bypass filter base and filter. Run the whole batch thru and then get a uoa and see where its at. I normally am a Valvoline guy, but for my mowers i just use any leftover synthetics from work from using qt bottles. I have 5w30, 5w40, and 5w50 of various brands all mixed together. Should be interesting. Ill do it at the end of the season. Anyone else do something like this?

Why bother. Sounds like a lot of work and a mess.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

+1 especially when you can get a quart of oil at Napa or WalMart for close to $3.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of extra work, hassle, and mess for very little savings.

And honestly, if you really feel you must reuse some used oil, just save some oil from your car and run that in your mower.

Get a UOA on it, of course, but if it's good, then why the heck not? Lots of people on here talk about using "Mobil 2" for example.

"...risk of high wear metals of course..". With OPE small engines I think it's just dirt and sand you should fear most.

Run it through a filter you already own and have a $20-$30 analysis done. Why not?

Once you save $30 on new oil plus a bit for the replacement filter element, you're making money with this hobby.

Factor in the space needed. Dumpa buncha oil on the floor? The math changes.

Isn't this the perfect time for the toilet paper roll filter? Gravity feed between two buckets to keep things simple and automated.
Of all the motors I have though, the mower and the tiller get the oil the hottest and have the poorest combustion, along with the odd fuel dilution event.
I've run 50hr motor oil out of my tractor into my old car as its filtered and had lots of life left. If you run conservative car OCI's I think going from the car to the mower is the best idea as the car has the best filtration and temperature control compared to most OPE.
Perhaps you could reuse oil several times with a TP filter cycle and adding some STP oil treatment to bring up the viscosity?
Do some googling, probably there's some Russian loggers 3k miles east of Moscow that have perfected a system of reusing oil and hydraulic fluid.

This.

The reasons for an oil change are many. Particulates, contamination, moisture, fuel, and combustion byproducts.

What many people fail to understand is that fuel dilution of the oil may not result in "fuel in the oil". In air cooled engines, the majority of the fuel evaporates, leaving behind all manner of heavier components. The remaining heavier fuel byproducts simply dilute the oil, and cannot be filtered out.

Ever wonder why the oil level never seems to change in some engines? Yet the oil is clearly contaminated and looks/feels nothing like fresh oil? The engine consumes some oil. The engine also contaminates the oil with significant blowby, combustion byproducts and raw fuel.

Air cooled engines do not generally exhibit excellent piston ring seal. As the air cooled cylinder tends to distort unevenly when hot.

Change the oil. Period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

+1 especially when you can get a quart of oil at Napa or WalMart for close to $3.

Exactly. This exercise is a complete waste of time. There is no money to be saved either. On a filter-less engine...once the oil is done, it's done. Dump it to be recycled, put new clean stuff in, 500ml at a time and it will reward you with decades of use (mine is from 1992, burns no oil and runs like a top). Use garbage oil and you are already at a disadvantage.

Reusing mower oil?
This is the silliest thing I've heard on here in a long time.and that is saying something.
Man,how cheap are you?
If you can't buy a new qt,just save some next time you change your car.
Do keep us posted.

Ok wow this really took off. Believe it not, i want to do this for FUN. i dont want to risk my expiriments on car engines. But really, i mean how much tbn is really used up in 25-30hrs run time? How much shear? Im seriously just doing this out of curiosity and for fun, not to save money, at all. Ive seen a bypass filter in action and its actually pretty impressive how much they do.

I say go for it. I would not do it but I would not stop you from doing it.I do a lot of things it would be cheaper or better
to buy it out right. But what is the fun in that,

Re: Resuing mower oil!

NO - NO - NO!!!! ..........BTW - it's reusing mower oil.
Give your engines more than an ounce of respect and thankfulness.

I give my used oil to a buddy of mine who gives it to another friend to oil some chain or something on his farm combine. Once I drain oil out I never try to use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back