Bridgestone Driveguard worked as advertised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a call from my GF that her dad's 2012 Sienna had a low tire pressure light. I went over to add some air. Nothing on the pressure gauge. I attach my air compressor. Nothing. That's strange I checked the gauge it's still 0. That's when I realized what kind of tire it was. A run-flat. He's been deaf since birth so he didn't have any idea, other than a light on the dashboard. He was driving from Cape Cod to New Hampshire at highway speed when he noticed the light. It had a unrepairable puncture hole in it. Completely relying on whatever is inside of the tire. I even took it for a ride just to see what it felt like. You could tell a little but not that much it was driveable a lot better than a baby spare. It did get hot on the sidewall. I guess that's what it relies on I'm not sure. Here's a few pics completely deflated on the way to get a new tire.

Glad the Driveguard works as advertised
thumbsup2.gif

Do you know how long he drove on it punctured? How long the light was on?

Is the Sienna AWD? I'm wondering if he'll need to replace all 4 tires since one new tire may screw up yye AWD system. A guy at work had that issue with a BWM. A Flat tire coat him over $1200 for 4 new tires. He shortly got rid of the car after that.

The tire gave its life for the owner, that’s money well spent. The ribs on the sidewall help cooling.

All runflats are designed to go up to 50 miles and in the process they overheat and destroy themselves. It sure beats stopping in Gary, IN in the middle of the night!

This is just one of the many great reasons to be on BITOG: Real life experiences like this. I always wondered how well the Bridgestone Driveguard tires actually performed in this situation.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Glad the Driveguard works as advertised
thumbsup2.gif

Do you know how long he drove on it punctured? How long the light was on?

From where he noticed it to home would be around 50 miles plus 8 Miles that we took it over to get it repaired. So pretty close to the rated distance.

If the tire relies on a super hard sidewall for support in the event of air loss that might explain why I always thought the Sienna handled very good for a big van. Better than my Escalade which is slightly top-heavy. I wonder if these tires would help the Escalade handle better as well.

Just discovered, the hard way, that the Pirelli run flats carry a lifetime road hazard warranty. No charge for a new tire at any mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back