Tire Rack-free shipping = price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse my jumping the thread: Lotl, I'd think long and hard before I'd put a set of inexpensive cast alloy wheels on a GTI.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Look for your wheels or tires on ebay, particularly with a 15% coupon.
Or wait until DTD has another of their holiday sales, with rebates, or eBay specials (as eljef mentioned)-I haven't bought anything from TR in years, their prices aren't good, at all. They're only good as a free research site...

I'd definitely agree. I stopped buying from TR when I paid over $50 for shipping and two local dealers had the same tire for slightly under TR's price. I don't even consider them a discount vendor and their research is usually done with the same BMW test mules which are significantly different than the car I drive. They've even slowed down their posted testing over the last year or so. General research information...yes...specific information that will always apply to what YOU drive...no. Too many good discount tire vendors out there now to be interested.

Check out Tire Buyer. They have free shipping to local installers and usually have coupon codes floating around.

Just seen that Tire Rack is now doing "Free shipping" on all tires, not just select ones anymore. But, still not competitive with Walmart, Amazon, Tire Buyer, Simple Tire, Tire-Easy, etc.

I appreciate Tire Racks website as one of many tools out there for researching tires, but bottom line, I want the best price. I always get the best price at Discount Tire / America's Tire, plus they have great after sale support. They have tons of brick-and-mortar facilities should I have any issues with my tires (road hazard, out-of round, warranty issue, etc.). Things are handled within minutes, instead of days.

Now, I am a fanboy of Nokian Tyres, and will stay loyal for a while. But, I also have an unhealthy passion to read about, and research tires. Like all the freaking time. So, I am always online, and always on every ones tire websites. I scour every car in a parking lot, looking only at their tires. Ok, got that off my chest...back to on topic...

Originally Posted By: Voleak
............... I also have an unhealthy passion to read about, and research tires. Like all the freaking time. So, I am always online, and always on every ones tire websites. I scour every car in a parking lot, looking only at their tires. Ok, got that off my chest...back to on topic...

You are not alone.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Please excuse my jumping the thread: Lotl, I'd think long and hard before I'd put a set of inexpensive cast alloy wheels on a GTI.

I had ECS tuning house brand alloys on my VW. worked just fine.

Most of the time I don't worry if Tirerack is a few more dollars. I'll buy from them just because they offer the most information of anyone when it comes to tires, and there service is great too. I have had many tires shipped, and show up in less than 24 hours. Plus, don't forget they have an included 2 year road hazard too. I have a friend I had just installed new 20 inch tires on, and he picked up a big chunk of metal and a flat tire 4 miles away, and replaced it 2 days later for free. I have had several customers destroy a tire, and had a new one within installed the next day, or two. Good luck with that with a 325/30-19 from anywhere else. They will usually have to buy a unique tire themselves from the tirerack. They do it all of the time, because their everyday tire supplier does not have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hounds

I don’t have to think long and hard about it. For decades now VW has been putting cast alloys on their cars, along with every other OEM.

If you look at the prices on RockAuto and then on Amazon you will see that it's a pretty common practice to bump up the the price on free shipping items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back