2 stroke oil for Yamaha PWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 97 Yamaha Waverunner GP760 2 stroke with about 140 hours on it. Is there any specific oil I should be running besides a TCW3 rated oil? I ran some Mystic JT4 TCW3 syn blend and currently have run a gallon of Phillips 66 Synjex TCW3 thru it.

I need to buy more oil but I'm uncertain if there are any specific brands I should look at? Keep in mind I'm in Canada and I'm basically stuck with whatever Canadian Tire sells or my work place which is a Phillips 66 dealer so I can get injex, injex pro and synjex. Amsoils out of the question IMO since they say to mix at 100:1 and I've got the factory oil injection which mixes 50:1 so I'd be throwing my money out the window @ $18.99L CAD for the amsoil. I always warm the ski up and baby it a bit before going riding but I ride it hard and it sees lots of WOT time and hole shots.

Thanks

i used to own that same year and model. If walmarts there carry the pennzoil 2stroke oil, I would use it. Cheap and did fine in mine.

I never owned a jet ski or water powercraft but I bought some Quicksilver PWC oil on clearance because it is TC rated. I am thinking TCW3 would not be the right oil for a high performance watercraft.
They even warn about using a TCW3 on the bottle in power water craft. Might want to research it.
I have found TCW3 oil leaves a hard carbon in air cooled two strokes. Again I never owned a PWC, just reading the bottle and why I bought it. TC rated.

Quote:

If walmarts there carry the pennzoil 2stroke oil, I would use it

In my local Walmart Pennzoil XLF for older 'seasoned' engines is $4/gal cheaper than the regular Pennzoil 2 stroke. Just an FYI for the OP'r

Originally Posted By: Warlord
You can get Mystic Sea and Snow at any Canadian Tire. I’d use that. Especially if you find it on sale.

So I found an owner's manual, since I don't have power valves I'm spec'd to use tcw3 oil. I'm not sure if running a TC rated oil like sea and snow will hurt anything or not. I have run the mystik jt4 outboard tcw3 oil tho. It's $28 cad for 4L.

Regarding sea and snow I apologize for being careless. I had never actually looked into it I just assumed that it would be tcw3 as it’s marketed for snowmobiles and PWCs. How bizarre it’s meant for air cooled sleds and watercraft. I imagine those are fairly rare nowadays.

No powervalves at least means a super expensive synthetic isn’t really necessary. If you have a bass pro nearby you can get pennzoil there. Otherwise have you considered shell advance snowmobile? It’s tcw3 and I used a few litres of it in outboards with no complaints. Not sure it would be any better than the mystic outboard though.

I’m curious to know what you go with cause I’m thinking of picking up a pwc to do some bombing around when it’s too hot to fish.

Last edited:
FYI if you are still looking my local Walmart has 4 liter jugs of Castrol super snowmobile which is tcw3 rated for 11 bucks. 2.75 a liter! I’d buy it all if I didn’t already have 100 liters of random 2 stroke oil in the garage.

So I decided to stick with the Synjex. $45cad a gallon after tax. I'd rather pay a bit more and run a very good oil and hopefully not blow it up. Last jetski I bought I had to rebuild the engine 2 months after I got it.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I never owned a jet ski or water powercraft but I bought some Quicksilver PWC oil on clearance because it is TC rated. I am thinking TCW3 would not be the right oil for a high performance watercraft.
They even warn about using a TCW3 on the bottle in power water craft. Might want to research it.
I have found TCW3 oil leaves a hard carbon in air cooled two strokes. Again I never owned a PWC, just reading the bottle and why I bought it. TC rated.

In regards to TC vs tcw3 my googling tells me that seadoos with rotary valves and power valved pwc are probably going to require the TC rated oil where as my 760 and 640cc Artic cat tigershark are standard 2 strokes and need tcw3 oil. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the literature I have for these tell me tcw3 or the manufacturer branded oils.

that engine is spec'd for TCW3 so anything you run will be fine. it does not have power valves or rave valves. I ran the pennzoil Syn in mine until i switched to AMSOIL Interceptor but that was because i also had a Seadoo with rave valves and it was what i ran in it so i ran it in both for simplicity.

make sure the carbs are adjusted correctly and clean and that thing will last a long time no matter what 2 stroke oil is used.

So update.

I've run about a gallon and a half of the Phillips Synjex thru my machine this season so far. Still over 140 psi comp in each cyl @ 150hrs, plugs look a bit oily but not too bad, the PTO plug is a bit darker, maybe I should tweak the high speed jet on the rear carb but I'll probably just leave it as I GPS 50mph on the water. From what I can see in the hull this things all original with no bolts having tool marks so I'm confident this is the original engine, carbs work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back