2017 VW -- mildly cold Air Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jetta in signature, air does not get really really cold in this car. Even though it is summer time & humid out -- car is newish & air should be much colder than what it is I believe.

Definitely take it in. Might be low on freon or have a slight leak somewhere. The A/C in my sister's 2013 will freeze me out.

What is the center vent discharge temperature? Vehicle A/C units are small compared to residential systems plus they have to contend with very high heat loads from the Sun. If you are seeing 50/60F discharge air, the system is functioning as designed. The posts you see about A/C systems putting out "freezing air" are a myth. In order to prevent evaporator icing, the system probably puts out 38/40F air on a good day.

I've got a buddy with the same car and he says his is ice cold. He's sweats when it's 30* outside, so if he thinks it's cold, it's cold. lol

I'd get yours checked out, especially since it's under warranty.

Ditto on taking it in for warranty. My '17 will freeze you out on speed 2 out of 6... But has it ever worked really well? My MK5 Jetta never cooled as well as I thought, but check out ok.

But before you take it in you could quickly check the condenser for debris and the cabin filter. Even at 19K those could get nasty depending on environment.

Hmm, my '17s AC doesn't get terribly cold. I've read on some VW forums that its a common thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
What is the center vent discharge temperature? Vehicle A/C units are small compared to residential systems plus they have to contend with very high heat loads from the Sun. If you are seeing 50/60F discharge air, the system is functioning as designed. The posts you see about A/C systems putting out "freezing air" are a myth. In order to prevent evaporator icing, the system probably puts out 38/40F air on a good day.

I don't know how you can say 50-60 degrees is working as designed, and then say 38-40 degrees is good. 38-40 degrees is what it should be, and 50-60 degree vent temps is terrible performance.

Drive with all windows open - blow the hot air out, close the windows. Set HVAC it to recirc max A/C , dash air vents for out let and keep the revs up above 2500 rpm. for a couple minutes.

Make sure your cabin filter is clean and installed properly.

If still just fair, wash the condenser with a hose and soap and water. Make sure the fan comes on. Try again. If still bad go to dealer. System should not leak refrigerant or get low - not normal.

Not if inlet temp is 100 degrees outside air.

If on recirc in a say initial 78 deg cabin it should be better than 60 though I would say for sure.

A quick check with a handheld digital temperature reader should tell the story. Definitely have it checked under warranty.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Drive with all windows open - blow the hot air out, close the windows. Set HVAC it to recirc max A/C , dash air vents for out let and keep the revs up above 2500 rpm. for a couple minutes.

If still just fair, wash the condenser with a hose and soap and water. Make sure the fan comes on. Try again. If still bad go to dealer. System should not leak refrigerant or get low - not normal.

It's a year old, let the dealership do the troubleshooting. 99% of people should not disassemble their brand new car to clean the condenser at 19k miles.

The one and only repair that our 08 rabbit needed over our 80k+ ownership was a valve in the compressor.

If your car is like ours, the ac compressor doesn’t have a clutch. Instead, it has a valve in it that somehow varies the geometry, throughput, compression ratio or some associated parameter.

Ours started to not work so well, seemingly being the same situation - just not blowing very cold, and then taking a long time to cool the car.

An evacuation, replacement, and recharge by mass solved it.

IIRC, it was a $100-150 job. If the vehicle is under warranty; I agree, get the dealer to work on it.

Get a meat thermometer from harbor freight and measure the output of the center vent, usually 25-30 degrees below ambient temp is acceptable, depending on humidity.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

I don't know how you can say 50-60 degrees is working as designed, and then say 38-40 degrees is good. 38-40 degrees is what it should be, and 50-60 degree vent temps is terrible performance.
38/40F is what the system maintains the evaporator core temp. On most systems, a thermistor attached to the evaporator cycles the compressor on and off to prevent evaporator core from icing over. Most vehicle A/C system would be extraordinary if they could produce 60F discharge air on a day with 100F and 50% RH. Extraordinary. Much the same with your home A/C unit. The evaporator temp is probably maintained at 40F+ but the discharge air temp will be somewhere near 55/60F. 38/40F air coming out of home A/C vents would run every living thing out of there pronto.We keep our thermostat at 75F during cooling season and I have to wear a zip-up sweat shirt and polartec watch cap to keep my 81 year old body warm.

My cars all produce 38-41 degree vent temps. Not evaporator temps, vent temps. Even a few weeks ago when we had 91 degree days with over 50% humidity. It took a few minutes to cool down, but they got there. The Escalade is the only one that struggled to get below 50 degrees that week and I was a little disappointed. But it's a huge vehicle with a lot of space to cool, so it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Get a meat thermometer from harbor freight and measure the output of the center vent, usually 25-30 degrees below ambient temp is acceptable, depending on humidity.

That is what I was going to say--get a thermometer and measure. That said, I've had systems blow below 40F and the vehicle still feels hot if it's a very sunny day.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

It's a year old, let the dealership do the troubleshooting. 99% of people should not disassemble their brand new car to clean the condenser at 19k miles.
99% of Unqualified forum respondents shouldn't comment on something they don't understand. The Condenser sandwiched to the Radiator, the EVAP is in in the airbox.

Yes, I am cruel. I am ARCO!
I do agree go to dealer. But I will say my dealer doesn't fix anything under warranty. NOTHING.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back