‘16 CX-5 using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step moms 2016 CX-5 with the 2.5L has about 17,000 miles on it. Dealer changed the oil at 10k and I changed it at 15k. I noticed it used a quart of oil during the dealership oil change, 5k oci. When she brought it to get the oil changed she mentioned to them that it used a quart and that I added a quart and they told her it was overfilled by a quart, which is not true. When I changed the oil at 15k, I used 5 qts. Quaker State 0w-20 when I changed the oil which brought perfectly to the top hash mark on the dip stick (calls for 4.5 qts I believe). At 17k I was over the other day and checked the level, it was at the bottom hash. Put a quart in and filled to top hash mark again. So if using a qt in a new engine in 2k miles and changing brands, is this reasonable? Should I have my step mom file a complaint with the dealership? Should I have them constantly change the oil to have a paper trail? I’m guessing they will either a) deny it used oil like last time or b) say it’s normal. Are they correct in saying this is normal? We’ve had multiple brand new vehicles in our family and I have never noticed disappearing oil. Where is it going? Shouldn’t the rings be settled by now? Do I need to worry? This is a family owned dealer with an excellent reputation if that matters at all. I have not been impressed

There is a discrepancy with what the manual says and what the actual capacity of the sump is. The manual states 4.5 quarts or 4.8 quarts with a filter change.

In my case I changed the oil and used a 5 qt jug. It was still not up to the full line so another 1/2 qt did the trick.

So my guess is that the dealer filled with 4.5 qt . No harm done but something to watch for.

You can't always go by the top mark on the dip stick. Go by the capacity noted in the manual.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You can't always go by the top mark on the dip stick. Go by the capacity noted in the manual.

True but the dipstick is a good gauge. I would check right after filling to spec, then again every 1000 miles to establish usage rates and what you want to see on the stick. Maybe try a 5w30.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
20 grade in a 2.5L 4 pot? Bahhh!

Why not? That is what the manual calls for. Besides, you are running 0w20 in your Subaru.

the watery xx W 20's are for mpg's but a 5 or 10 30W will be better, it cut my girlfriends malibu consumption to almost nothing!!! a qt on a thou is considered OK by OE standards but NOT mine!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
the watery xx W 20's are for mpg's but a 5 or 10 30W will be better, it cut my girlfriends malibu consumption to almost nothing!!! a qt on a thou is considered OK by OE standards but NOT mine!!!

Good to see you Mania.

Switch that bugger over to 20w50!!!!!!!! never burn oil again !!!!!!!

In all seriousness -
Are you sure it reads right on the first pull? I used to have a MZR engine (older version of what was evolved into skyactiv 4 cylinder) and it would always read 1 quart low on the first pull. I ended up with 2 or 3 extra quarts in mine before the first oil change because the first pull it would always read below the add line.

My wife's Jeep Cherokee 2.4L four cyl uses a little oil (about 1 quart every 3K miles after the break-in was complete). It calls for 0W-20 also, which I will keep using but check it once a month or so. It's really no big deal to use a little oil nowadays. Some cars just do it w/low tension rings and thin oils.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My wife's Jeep Cherokee 2.4L four cyl uses a little oil (about 1 quart every 3K miles after the break-in was complete). It calls for 0W-20 also,

What brand oil are you using in it?

My Mazda 6 started using a quart per 3000 miles since about 20k. I’ve switched brands of 0w20 and 5w30 with no effect. I am currently running valvoline synthetic 10w30 but have not been using it enough to see if it makes a difference. I use a 5 quart jug to fill the engine after draining the oil and it takes the whole bottle. I have set my OLM to remind me to check the oil at 3k and I have to add a quart. I change it every other time.

Our ‘16 CRV uses some oil too, less than 1qt at 5k, and I’m fine with that

Im at 70,000 miles on my 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L Skyactiv. Absolutely ZERO oil consumption after 3,000 mile of ABUSIVE driving with A TON of trips to my 7,000rpm Rev Limit.

I've used 0w20, 5w30 and even 0w40 in it. No consumption. Currently 0w20.

It got a Hard Break-in since new.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I disagree. The manual for my 2018 Corvette says the capacity is 7 quarts, which is the true full amount of oil it holds, however when you drain the oil only 6 comes out. This is because of the design of the oil pan, and I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

So if I added 7 quarts after an oil change, I would be overfilling it by a quart.

I agree with Patman. Who blindly goes by what the manual says and doesn't actually check the dipstick?!

Say the manual says 5 quarts and you refill 5qts and the dipstick shows at the MINIMUM. Will you just leave it like that and run it 10k? What if it consumes a quart. Now you're down way below the Minimum mark. Will you only add enough to barely reach the bottom line, because your manual says so?
33.gif

I fill according to the dipstick. The manual is a GUIDE to give you an idea of how much to fill.

If drained with the car level, 4.5qts comes out. If I tilt the front end up to help aid in draining, I get more out. So I fill more to get the level just right.

This is only my own experience, but I thought the 2.5 in my 2017 was using oil as well, based on what I drained out of it, which was barely 4 qts. I went by the manual and refilled, and it showed right around the full line. I rotated the tires, put my tools away, and checked the level again before shutting the hood about 20 minutes later, and now it showed WAY over full.

On my Nissan and Toyota, I can get an accurate dipstick reading within 30 seconds or so after shutting off the engine, or after adding oil. Not so on my Skyactiv. Now anytime I check the oil, or do an oil change, I wait a good 5-10 minutes after running the engine, or after adding oil, before I trust what the dipstick shows.

I've seen this recommendation in other owners manuals, but I think at least in the Skyactiv's case, its particularly true. This is out of my 2017 manual:

I read the dip stick after it sitting overnight. Will it read differently after running to temp then waiting 5 mins?

It says wait at least 5 mins, so you can also wait longer than that to check it. It may read slightly higher by checking it the next morning. I'd simply top it off with some High Mileage oil which may help to eliminate oil consumption down the road. Something like Valvoline Maxlife 0w20 would be my first choice. Followed by Pennzoil HM since you're using QS in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back