Bad shifting with Rotella T4 15w-40.. hotter temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I've only ever run Rotella in my R1, at first i started with T6 and then eventually decided on just running regular 15w40 as I don't ride it enough yearly to justify the price and of course the faster shear. between the both of them I noticed no change in shifting, it shifts fine.

I remember my brother asking me after i changed the oil in his GSXR 1000 from the factory suzuki 10w40 oil to Rotella 15w40, what i did to make it shift smoother.....i dunno maybe it was just fresh oil that made it seem to shift smoother.

and in my dad's honda which has over 80,000 miles on it used exclusively Rotella in it since about 35,000 miles mark because the Honda GN4 oil became expensive and hard to come by.

Recently I decided to order some Amalie 20w50 to try out and I'm gonna put it in my dad's Yamaha before a big road trip he's taking and I'll ask him if he notices any differences between the amalie and the rotella. and the amalie is pretty decently priced on amazon.

I have no idea why the shifting was markedly worse with the oil I got. Perhaps I got scammed by ordering on Amazon (seems to be a common occurrence these days) and I got some snake oil in a bottle. It is hard for me to trust whether or not I receive a genuine product on Amazon lately. Some of the counterfeits being produced seem almost like the real thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/04/amazon-may-have-a-counterfeit-problem/558482/

Either way, I'll be sticking with the valvoline dino from now on. It seems to get the job done and it's only $4-5 a quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThunderOne
I have no idea why the shifting was markedly worse with the oil I got. Perhaps I got scammed by ordering on Amazon (seems to be a common occurrence these days) and I got some snake oil in a bottle. It is hard for me to trust whether or not I receive a genuine product on Amazon lately.

Sometimes some bikes for whatever reason will not like certain oils. Many years ago I had an oil burner GSXR that had massive clutch slip with Castrol synthetic oil. Switched back to Golden Spectro and the clutch was fine after a couple of miles.

A used oil analysis will tell you for sure if the Rotella you got wasn't really motor oil. But you may or may not sleep better at night knowing the truth!

The 15w40 rotella has a very strong clutch grip, some bikes like yours, it will make the shifting notchy.

If you really want to run a 15w40 diesil, try another brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back