Bags of MTD 30 weight oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw these bags of MTD 30 weight engine oil in Bermuda I guess it’s one way to bring down packaging waste. Apparently the empty bags get burned in their garbage incinerator along with other burnable garbage to help produce electricity.

Last edited:
Don't know if its better to have the polyethylene recyclable jugs.

Also Reason they are trying to get metal out of oil filters given the 100's of millions going to the dump annually.

But there's that pesky bypass coil spring ...

I had seen similar product sold at the MTD dealers in the area. Out here a few of the implement dealers carry the higher end MTD products and also carry the oil. I think bags of half a liter were about 8 bucks.

I thought this was going to be a thread about how you scored bags of those little 2 stroke sized bottles for OPE of SAE30. I was a bit disappointed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Got a bag like that with 12oz of 10W30 with my new mower this weekend.

Rather clever if you ask me.

What mower and size engine only holds so little 12oz?
Back in the day, 20oz was common. Now it seems to be less & less every decade.

I just put together a new Yard Machine 163cc push mower - out of the original new box today. I purchased this mower a year ago and it sat in the box inside the garage until today. The bag of oil was missing from the tightly taped / sealed new box. I guess a missing part happens rarely. I'm not looking to repackage this mower and take it back to the store.

So anyways, I found out the manufacturer intended to ship 10W30 and the bag holds 15oz. But what I have at home is a half-quart of Formula Shell 5w30. Will this be OK for the next 8-9 weeks of grass-growing season here, then change it in the early spring?

I agree. It probably had a specific corner to open.
Either way, I'll never find out.
I started a new thread on my missing oil in another thread here. I did not want to hijack someone else's thread/topic.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Got a bag like that with 12oz of 10W30 with my new mower this weekend.

Rather clever if you ask me.

What mower and size engine only holds so little 12oz?
Back in the day, 20oz was common. Now it seems to be less & less every decade.

I just put together a new Yard Machine 163cc push mower - out of the original new box today. I purchased this mower a year ago and it sat in the box inside the garage until today. The bag of oil was missing from the tightly taped / sealed new box. I guess a missing part happens rarely. I'm not looking to repackage this mower and take it back to the store.

So anyways, I found out the manufacturer intended to ship 10W30 and the bag holds 15oz. But what I have at home is a half-quart of Formula Shell 5w30. Will this be OK for the next 8-9 weeks of grass-growing season here, then change it in the early spring?

Honda engines hold about 18 oz of oil but not all the oil drains out when changed. The 12 oz will get you in the ball park.
For oil changes, the owners manual specifies to add between 12 -14.5 oz to bring to the full mark.

All my new mowers have come with oil in them from the dealer but I have never been able to drain out what they say it holds, it's always a couple ounces shy.

I always wondered where 2 full ounces could be hiding inside the small engine.

Those bags look like they have a built in spout, I don't see why it would be that much harder to dump in a funnel.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I agree. It probably had a specific corner to open.
Either way, I'll never find out.
I started a new thread on my missing oil in another thread here. I did not want to hijack someone else's thread/topic.

Came back to this thread. Actually if you look closely there is a black plastic screw cap in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back