The Great Australian Bin Chicken...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down the big smoke this week, and the US Girl who's staying with us for few weeks pointed at a white Ibis, and asked W T F is that ?

As I was in the process of saying "Ibis" both my children simultaneously called out "bin chickens".

I just woke my wife up because I couldn't keep from laughing out loud at this! "...highest motabolism...One in, one out." That's the part that really got me in trouble!

Originally Posted By: Kira
So....anybody have any recipes for this abundant sub species?

Ragnaar Benson needs to come to Oz...

In the U.S. we have Pigeons Seagulls and drug addled "homeless" Everything is bigger and deadlier is Aus.

Originally Posted By: CT8
In the U.S. we have Pigeons Seagulls and drug addled "homeless"
Around here, seagulls are called "dump ducks" for their propensity to hang around landfills.

Canada geese, white tail deer, raccoons, coyotes and the erstwhile pigeon are our local "pest critters" Actually, pigeons are less of a nuisance. The up swell in hawk population has taken care of them

“Regurgitated bin juice”
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Around here, seagulls are called "dump ducks" for their propensity to hang around landfills.

More like "fries hawks": for their perfect technique to pull a plate of fries out of the unsuspecting hands of tourists....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

More like "fries hawks": for their perfect technique to pull a plate of fries out of the unsuspecting hands of tourists....

Back in Edinburgh, where the weather is uncharacteristically nice and people are eating outside, and saw a gull take a tourists freshly delivered filled croissant right off her table. Not much technique involved, just landed and scared her off. I THINK I'd have fought for it, but a full grown Herring Gull in your face is quite intimidating.

Think that's a new development locally. When I left the Edinburgh Herring Gull population was relatively timid, though the Aberdeen ones would take a fish supper off you on the wing and seemed to detect and specifically target drunks.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Back in Edinburgh, where the weather is uncharacteristically nice and people are eating outside, and saw a gull take a tourists freshly delivered filled croissant right off her table. Not much technique involved, just landed and scared her off. I THINK I'd have fought for it, but a full grown Herring Gull in your face is quite intimidating.

Think that's a new development locally. When I left the Edinburgh Herring Gull population was relatively timid, though the Aberdeen ones would take a fish supper off you on the wing and seemed to detect and specifically target drunks.

...That was my late outside lunch entertainment in Cancun,QR, Mexico.

Found the bird-less corner, took some fruit and a drink and watched the tourists getting "fried": saw couple scares, but most of it was pretty good technique on catching something on the fly eq. "catching a moving fish"

When I was a kid everyone had chooks (chickens), and my aunty had some Plymouth Rock...which we kids called Feathery Legs. There were Plymouth Brethren in town, and some cousin picked up their ears and said Feathery Legs ! From then on the Brethren were called Feathery Legs, or just The Featheries. It wasn't until we were teenagers and had forgotten the connection that we asked why they were called that...and we were told it was us !

One native bird in NZ that has managed to live with humans is the Pukeko (Australisian Swamp Hen, and other things around the world) They strut around doing funny things, but are not scavengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back