amazon missing package. how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have ordered from amazon about a dozen times this year. twice the package shows delivered, but nothing shows up. usually they would take a pix ,but both time there is not one. both times it was through amazon own delivery service

i wonder how common it is . to amazon credit they refunded my money. how often have you had a amazon package lost

47 orders so far this year on Amazon, no issues.

108 last year, one package was stolen. I had it sent to my grandpa's house and someone brought the box by and they found it empty and torn open a few blocks away.

It happens occasionally here if USPS delivers something on Sundays. On Sundays they usually have a different person doing the deliveries, and that person is less familiar with this housing community and house numbering, so they are more likely to mis-deliver.

I had heard that statistically 4% of all packages from all vendors are lost. Dropping them at the front apparently save enough money that they can still reimburse the lost item vs ringing the door bell for every delivery.

Some high lost neighborhood will always have someone ringing the door bell on delivery, instead of just dumping it out front.

Every time that "Amazon Shipping" is used (no choice on this--they decide) I have had an issue with either late delivery or no delivery with a statement they were not able to deliver; could not find address, etc. I have yet to see "who" this is, but feels like it is not a major carrier, but is some home-grown delivery service.

Amazon has its own shipping service now, yeah. There have been a few hiccups with for us, nothing major, but it's gotten much better as of late. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and rarely have an issue, but I also live in a major metro area.

Never a missing package from Amazon. I do like the new service which pops up on my phone showing where the delivery vehicle is when they get close. Shows how many stops until my house, and then when they pull up in front of my house.

I had two packages back to back go missing from Amazon, but they reshipped or refunded immediately.

I'm guessing that some loser started casing our neighborhood for packages and then got scared off after a bit when somebody surprised them.
Took some huevos with our house as we are a couple of hundred feet from the road and nobody could see what I would do to them if I caught them by our garage doors... ;^)
Guess if they brought a gun with them then I would be the one in trouble...

Only once in over 1000+ orders. It was about 4 or 5 years ago and Amazon used a company named "Prestige" as their shipper. The item made it to the local distribution center, but delivery was never attempted. Amazon refunded me after I started a chat session.

LOTS of complaints at the time about Prestige. I haven't seen any of my orders since then shipped via Prestige, but every once in a while a company called "Lasership" will deliver my order.

I've started using the Amazon Lockers now that they're more prevalent in my area. Several neighbors have complained about packages missing so I don't want to take a chance.

Personally, I've never had one go really missing; I've had several packages arrive looking like they'd been through a battle, though. I also had one package that was going to a locker and it wound up being delayed for some unknown reason, but it wound up in the locker 2 days later than promised. Ironically, that was a package that I'd sprung the extra money for 2-day shipping, but when I asked Amazon if they'd refund the cost due to the delay, they did, no questions asked.

Last edited:
I had one a few months back. It showed that it was delivered but never made it's way to my house. About a week later a woman from down the street came knocking
on my door with my package. Said she had been on vacation and just found it. Her street number is nothing even close to mine. The driver dropped the ball big time.
BTW, I never order from them. It had been a few years since my last order. I will think twice next time.

Last edited:
First, let Amazon know. I had issues after moving in but once they pinpointed my GPS location it has been smooth.

If it turns out to be thieves then you have several options including Amazon’s lock and some security cameras.

I usually get everything shipped to work. Have less lost packages that way.

We ordered a lot off of amazon this year for Christmas. Once we thought something got porch pirated, but it showed up on the front step a few days after it was delivered.

Not sure if it was delivered to the wrong house or if it was stolen, someone realized that it was just chocolate and then returned it.

I order a ton of stuff online (mostly Amazon, some eBay, and occasionally elsewhere) and I can't remember the last time I had any problem.

I've had literally thousands of packages delivered via mail or courier. For a few years I also shipped dozens of packages per day via Canada Post, along with my own personal shipments within Canada and internationally (destinations in Canada, US, Australia).

Lost one right after pickup by UPS who dropped an oscilliscope onto a concrete floor at the first sort facility in New Jersey. Apparently the shipper had full resolution.

Lost one more (a PCB in a flat mailer) somewhere between the import facility (it cleared customs) and my home. Shipper ate that one and sent another, but it was a small value item.

Tbat's it. Everything else came here or arrived elsewhere. China / Taiwan / UK / EU / Australia / US / Japan and domestic sourced. Even few dozen on pallets domestic and international using truck freight / container ships over the ocean. One was a motor / transmission from Japan.

In our area, orders are delivered by UPS or USPS - no direct-delivery from Amazon yet but I'm sure we will soon. There is a Amazon warehouse about an hour drive away, another 1-1/2 hours, and one being built that's less than 30 minutes away.

With UPS deliveries, never had a problem. With USPS, it depends on how hot outside it is and how lazy (tired) the carrier is. We have a roadside mailbox so many items don't fit, meaning she has to get out of her vehicle, walk 30' (the driveway is sloped, so it's "uphill" and in the summer, the concrete is hot), and carry a heavy 2# package, so I get it.... 1 out of 4 packages are marked as delivered when they're not though they almost always show up the next day. A few times they get delivered to a neighbor with the same house number but obviously a different street and they'll bring it to us. One time, they were expecting an Amazon order, got mine and opened it. The lady wrote an apologetic note on the box and apologized to our son when he answered the door to get it from them. I just laughed about it. We get their mail occasionally too.

Most of the time when I have a package that says its delivered and I don't have it. All I have to do is look on my neighbors porch. It would be nice if they hire people that could actually understand why those numbers where on the side of houses.

Just be glad Amazon refunded you. I once ordered something online (not from Amazon) and FedEx said they delivered it to my door. I get home from work and nope, it's not there. Over the next few weeks, I kept calling FedEx and the company I bought the item from and kept getting the runaround from both of them. I ended up having to call my credit card company and got the charge removed, and I bought the item at a local dealer instead (for $80 more than I spent online). Took weeks to resolve and was an extremely frustrating experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back