Help me choose camper wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to replace my white steel camper wheels that are rusting. I'm not going to paint them any more.

My travel trailer is a 2003 jayco jayfeather 23b. I want aluminum wheels.

Generic pics of my model.

img_ANCg8RBYsKZOdN4_r.jpg
2005-JAYCO-JAYFEATHER-23B-54341-25636.jpg

Wheels i'm considering.

7950_st.jpg
https://www.easternmarine.com/13-aluminum-black-star-5-lug-trailer-wheel-rim-5-width

1350249_large_1.jpg
https://www.easternmarine.com/13-aluminum-split-spoke-black-inlay-5-lug-trailer-wheel-rim-1

7123035__large.jpg

https://www.easternmarine.com/13-aluminum-lionshead-jaguar-gunmetal-trailer-wheel-rim

Thanks !

Last edited:
I like the lionshead the best, but the blackstars have the least nooks & crannies and look the easiest to clean.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I have those exact 5 spoke on my Trailer.

Are you happy with them? I was not sure if they would look good in 13 inch.

Mine came with them. They are 6 years old. I like them. Have not given me any problems.

I have 14 inch tires.

I like option 1.

Option 2 and 3 look like something on a new aluminum car hauler or ski boat trailer.

Your trailer has 5 lug wheels and all the option pics have 6 lug....but you knew that.

Option #1 looks cleaner and is, in my opinion, better suited to being on a trailer.
The others look busy to me.

What brand / model tire is considered "best" on rigs like that?

My trailer is also 5 lug. 2 3500lbs axles.

I think trailer tires are hit and miss. The important thing is keep them inflated properly and remember they usually don't wear out from tread wear but from age.

I swap mine out every 4 to 5 years. I have a set of Carlisles right now. They are rated to 81 MPH which give you some cushion. I rarely see 65 anyway.

I have been really happy with them. They are Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires.

Radial Trail

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I like the look of the 2nd ones.

13"? It doesn't have 205/75-15's on it?

No 185/80-13 and no room for 14 or 15 inch wheels.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Your trailer has 5 lug wheels and all the option pics have 6 lug....but you knew that.

Option #1 looks cleaner and is, in my opinion, better suited to being on a trailer.
The others look busy to me.

What brand / model tire is considered "best" on rigs like that?

Yes i was aware, but that was the only pic of those wheels on the site. I am leaning toward the first wheel as it shows less of the brake drum and is easier to clean.

I run maxxis 8008 tires , not many options in st 13 inch. I change every 6 years. I keep mine at 48 psi cold. Some say its a waste of time, but i always have mine balanced. It just seems to tow smoother at highway speeds with the tires balanced.

Last edited:
So if i get the above wheels, is there anything to look for in a tire shop so they don't get scratched up being mounted?

Those are clear coated , so i don't want to have moisture get under the clear coat if its scratched through when mounting.

Should i ask for stick on weights?

Last edited:
unless the trailer has pronounced black trim, silver, silver and silver will probably be the classiest, to my eye.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
So if i get the above wheels, is there anything to look for in a tire shop so they don't get scratched up being mounted?

Those are clear coated , so i don't want to have moisture get under the clear coat if its scratched through when mounting.

Should i ask for stick on weights?

You tell them they are new and to be careful please and inspect after they are done.

I also think the first wheel is the easiest to clean and will look good on a a 2003 jayco trailer.

Last edited:
So a last question. My axles are dexter ez lube axles. they have a rubber cover over the end of the grease nipple. Even if i chose a center cap with a removable center, i'm not going to be able to get the rubber grease seal in or out. This means i either take the wheels off to grease them. Or i leave the center rubber seal out. I'd rather have the rubber seal there to keep water out.

So should i leave the rubber seal off? Or just remove the wheels to grease them?

20545IEU-dexter-ez-lube-endunit-01.jpg

Rubber seal

31rZ%2BzNnF7L._AC_UL320_SR318,320_.jpg

Center caps

[img:center]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxLHSiDU0UkYz3p5xGcKVQvdXcZ7023bgB1EHXLUZC2jQCB0-YSg[/img]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back