FCP Euro Oil change...which oil for N62 BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide which oil to use to take advantage of FCP Euros lifetime replacement program which includes motor oil. I'm currently running the LiquiMoly Leichtlauf 5W40 but FCP also has a LiquiMoly SpecialTec LL in 5W30 for the same price. Looking at specs, it looks like they both have an HTHS of 3.5. Wondering if I should just stick to the 5W40 or try the 5W30. Both oils have the LL01 spec.

My N62tu is almost at 180k miles and I change the oil two times a year regardless of mileage. The only area currently leaking oil looks to be the oil pan. All the other common leak points on this engine have been remedied. My car doesn't really see short commutes so the oil generally has enough time to warm up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If there's nothing wrong with the 5W-40, stick with it.

I'm mostly curious if the 5W30 has any characteristics that make it worth trying. If there's not, I'll stick with the 5W40.

Other than the viscosity, I don't see anything worth mentioning. Spec-wise, the 5W-40 seems to do everything the 5W-30 does, and more.

All else equal, I'd be inclined toward the 5W-30 because I like to err on the thin side for various reasons. But if I lived in Texas, had an engine known for running very hot, had been running 5W-40 for a while with no identifiable issues, and had an oil leak on top of that, I don't think I'd stray.

Thanks for the feedback
11.gif

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
I'm trying to decide which oil to use to take advantage of FCP Euros lifetime replacement program which includes motor oil. I'm currently running the LiquiMoly Leichtlauf 5W40 but FCP also has a LiquiMoly SpecialTec LL in 5W30 for the same price. Looking at specs, it looks like they both have an HTHS of 3.5. Wondering if I should just stick to the 5W40 or try the 5W30. Both oils have the LL01 spec.

My N62tu is almost at 180k miles and I change the oil two times a year regardless of mileage. The only area currently leaking oil looks to be the oil pan. All the other common leak points on this engine have been remedied. My car doesn't really see short commutes so the oil generally has enough time to warm up.

they warranty oil? do you need to send it back to them?

Originally Posted By: WhyMe

Yes. You buy oil from them, then put the old oil and filter in the containers they came in and send them back for refund.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

Yes, they do. Just gotta pay for the shipping back to them. Pretty much anything that can be sent back to them can be replaced. They won't replace stuff like aerosol cans and whatnot that you can't return the used product.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Yes. You buy oil from them, then put the old oil and filter in the containers they came in and send them back for refund.

I get the filter, but the oil seems like a real mess waiting to happen...

I do buy a decent amount of stuff from them on the notion that I may use this someday, and the fact that their prices are decent...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I get the filter, but the oil seems like a real mess waiting to happen...

I do buy a decent amount of stuff from them on the notion that I may use this someday, and the fact that their prices are decent...

Yeah a friend with an e46 BMW does it and says it is great, but for me it just seems easier to buy Castrol Euro 0W40 at Walmart after work. I do buy a lot of other stuff from them, my neighbor has a 2004 e46 that I maintain and my GF has a 2006 E90. Always great service.
thumbsup2.gif

I didn't know they did this with oil. Brakes and suspension yes.

By the time you foot the bill for shipping, you could have bought some with less hassle.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I didn't know they did this with oil. Brakes and suspension yes.

By the time you foot the bill for shipping, you could have bought some with less hassle.

If your car consumes little or no oil between changes, AND if shipping (plus the time you spend doing it) is worth less than your oil costs, it pays off. But that's rare with OTS synthetics. Otherwise, there's no point.

I'd still recommend buying from FCP Euro if they have what you want, just because they're a good shop. But there's little argument for their lifetime oil changes if an OTS synthetic will do for you.

I got my diff fluid from them (Motul Gear 300), and someone I'm advising will likely buy Motul 300V from them soon. Those products are expensive, and our shipping costs to FCP Euro aren't outrageous, so their lifetime exchanges can make a big difference there.

Im not sure if it was a thread on here or another forum but people have had luck using the 10/60 in these motors to slow consumption and smoke. I also cant believe they'll warranty oil. How could that make any sense financially? Maybe most people wont do it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
Im not sure if it was a thread on here or another forum but people have had luck using the 10/60 in these motors to slow consumption and smoke. I also cant believe they'll warranty oil. How could that make any sense financially? Maybe most people wont do it?

Yeah it's a hassle and expensive. I think you gotta ship oil in that quantity by UPS or Fedex ground. Probably around $20 or more to ship it back so most people don't bother.

I guess it's a gimmick. They write it off and people buy more extra stuff on the order that they make money off of.

FCP (Groton, CT) is a great shop. Offering their "lifetime warranty" is also great.

That they extend that offer to engine oil and filters is newsworthy and, in my humble opinion, downright stupid.

I'm all for a gimmick or marketing hook but inducing John Q. Public to wrap and ship quarts of oil is just plain unacceptable in my book.

I know it's paternalistic to guarantee mishaps on the part of others but common errors greatly imperil everyone else's packages.

I could so go on about this but I'd get banned for "caustic acidity" and meanness.

I recently replaced OE upper strut mounts on the 245 that I had purchased from FCP. The mounts started to sag. They credited my account for the original purchase price. I will not return a part worn out in normal wear. Just me.

Sam

Last edited:
180k on an N62, does it consume much oil? I've heard the internet horror stories with that motor.. I really want a 545 or 550 but tearing down the top end for valves seals. ehhhhh.

lifetime warranty exchange on used motor oil? who the fruitcake came up with that?? gotta be the dumbest thing i've heard all day and i've been watching cops all morning

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
lifetime warranty exchange on used motor oil? who the fruitcake came up with that?? gotta be the dumbest thing i've heard all day and i've been watching cops all morning

Yeah, I am beyond puzzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back