6L80 pan with drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of an OEM or aftermarket pan with drain plug? I don't want a fancy aluminum 'cooling' or extra capacity pan. I am just looking for a Dorman type pan with a plug. I have found a couple but the plug is on the high side of the pan leaving probably 2+ quarts still in the pan.

I am tempted to buy another OEM pan and just have a drain tig welded on.

Application is 2014 Silverado.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
Does anyone know of an OEM or aftermarket pan with drain plug? I don't want a fancy aluminum 'cooling' or extra capacity pan. I am just looking for a Dorman type pan with a plug. I have found a couple but the plug is on the high side of the pan leaving probably 2+ quarts still in the pan.

Thanks!

This is the way to go if you have someone that can Tig weld. That way you can have it done in such a way that all the fluid can be drained out of the pan and not have the nut that holds the drain bolt inside the pan keeping that much fluid inside.

I wouldn't mess with the kits. To many chances for leaks.

If I ever have to put a drain plug in my transmission this is the way I will do it. Currently my 2002 Silverado has a factory drain plug.

Several cheap pans from AC Delco that have drain plugs. Do they leave some fluid in...sure, put your dropping the pan anyways to do the filter so you can dump out the quart or so that may be left. Still better than no drain and the balancing act you need to do to keep from getting a bath.

As for the "fancy' pans.....they are worth it to get that extra fluid and they do run cooler. I don't have any 6L80's but do have some 4L85's....put B&M plain aluminum pans on and dropped 20F (we can keep the fluid generally under 160) and allowed us to safely extend the service interval out a bit.

Can you use the Camaro's pan? Because the Camaro also used the 6L80, and the Camaro 6L80 pan seems to come with a drain plug.

GM part number 24250062

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Can you use the Camaro's pan? Because the Camaro also used the 6L80, and the Camaro 6L80 pan seems to come with a drain plug.

GM part number 24250062

The F-body pan has a "Check-Plug" as it has no dip stick.

Thanks to eagle23 for linking to the Summit Racing part.

Too bad Summit didn't include a "blow-up" picture of the product showing its parts fully.

It seems "chunkier" than I expected.

If you go the welding route, try this:

Get a castle nut for front suspension, and weld it upside down over the hole. Don't weld all the way around it, so fluid can drain through the few open castle slots, letting the pan drain completely. Then use a suitable bolt and gasket/crush washer on the outside.

A friend of mine did this, but brazed the nut because he didn't have a tig welder. It was a lower profile solution than the drain plug kits like B&M's.

Originally Posted By: 04SE

Thanks!

This is what I did for the 6R80 in my 14 Mustang GT. I bought the pan at an online Ford dealer and then had a local shop weld in a drain plug that I bought off of Ebay. I have it ready for when I change the fluid which will be in the next 1,500 miles.

I was going to get the PML deep pan but I was afraid of clearance since the car sits so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back