Fly or drive 2700 miles for company training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to go out of town for some company training and I'll be there for a week. It's 2700 miles away and I'm thinking about not flying and making it a road trip. I've never driven across the country from Florida to California.

Does this sound crazy?
Would you take this opportunity to drive and see the various states and stop off along the way ?

I'm tempted to do this drive for the heck of it.

You'd have to drive back, too. That's a drag. Unless you buy a $400 car and leave it behind.

I've driven all over this Country. It's interesting and worthwhile (IMO) if you haven't done it before.

Both. Florida has a lot of good rental car specials, especially one-ways when the summer season is getting on.

One-way car rental, one way plane ticket back. Best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Depends. If you don’t burn vacation time and the job is cool with taking 4-5 days, drive!

I'm on company time and driving my company vehicle.
No vacation time used.

If they pay you mileage, then drive. You'll come out on top.

I offered to drive from NC to California and they said "no way." Flights and a rental were much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Where in kalifornia? I've did a similar drive back in 2001 - Orlando to Hollister.

Los Angeles

I drive a lot for work, ~36k/yr. I make the trip from MSN to STL pretty easy.

If you are used to the drive I think you should do it. If you drive the typical 12k/yr, you will find yourself fatigued.

I would go for it and make it an experience. Take a break every 2 hours to walk around(or look for clearance oil!) and you’ll be fine.

I've watched one too many 'Indiana Jack' long haul trucking videos on YouTube.

http://www.indianajack.com

LOL
smile.gif

I'm very seriously considering it.

Every American should drive across the USA at least once in their life. If you can get your employer to pay for the miles, so much the better. It will be more expensive than flying, though.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Fly. Then the days you would have spent driving there and back get a rental and explore California .
+1

I would drive,lots of different ways you could go,I did Virginia to Utah,definitely would do it again,not one issue the whole way, expect when I filled the truck with low octane gas in Colorado was like 85 rating or something,no power and engine was acting funny in the mountains

Then filled up with better gas in Utah and did 90mph,
the whole way in,80mph speed limit,but it's something you will never forget if you drive

I would find the drive there fun, but then the drive back, ugggh.

Being it is the company dime, that would make it more tolerable.

If they would pay for a rental, see what the one way rate is. Lately there has been a lot of one way out of California, but little one way there. Driving there and flying back would be the ideal way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back