Avg times you wash your vehicle per month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an owner-operator (trucker) driving 2400-3300 miles per week; my Freightliner gets real dirty, really quick. Even if the weather is nice, I get hundreds (probably thousands) of bugs splattered onto the front and sides of the truck. Then there's the dust in the air. I can wash/wax the truck in El Paso and by the time I get to Dallas, it's heavily covered in dust.

I use Blue Beacon truck washes 6-8 times per month. Besides the regular wash, I get the engine washed and then get the Rain-X sprayed on the entire truck. Depending on what state I'm in, it costs $58-70 each wash.

Unless it's actually raining or snowing, I spend close to an hour each day detailing the truck; that's on top of the time I spend cleaning the windows and mirrors. That alone takes 10 minutes each time (at least a few times per day). I keep the entire truck (including the frame, axles and suspension) clean and shiny the best I can. It's best to stay on top of it and not get too lazy about the maintenance because of the enormity of the vehicle.

I do all of that work (and spend the money) for myself, but it's a good feeling when I pull into a customer looking good. Some customers never see my truck, but for those that do, I want to instill confidence in them. I hope that the public notices, too.

Nothing at all wrong with that you make your living with it and spend a lot of time in there almost like a second home.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
For every hour I spend on that nonsense I am loosing money doing something that pays. This AM I made money without leaving the house in 90 min, why would I use that time washing a car, 4x a month is a new car payment if that's what I wanted to do with it.

For some folks...enjoying the fruits of some nominal time exceeds the almighty dollar’s value.

I have not washed my silver 2007 tundra in 10.5 years. It went through a car wash by mistake once (thanks toyota) about 5 years ago. I no longer have time for it and it looks very good for 11.25 years old.

The Rav4 is almost 4 years old, white, has been washed by toyota twice by mistake. Looks fine.

No longer play that game.

When I was working my cars generally got washed 3-4 times a year, especially before and after winter. Now that I am retired it gets washed monthly or if it’s really dirty.

Everyone’s situation and circumstances are different. Like so many things, we cannot put a general timeline on doing anything.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
For every hour I spend on that nonsense I am loosing money doing something that pays. This AM I made money without leaving the house in 90 min, why would I use that time washing a car, 4x a month is a new car payment if that's what I wanted to do with it.

For some folks...enjoying the fruits of some nominal time exceeds the almighty dollar’s value.

I aint washin no cars.
lol.gif
That has to be the most mind numbing waste of good time there is.

The Grand Marquis, Envoy, Explorer and Pajero gets washed once a week including the undercarriage, engine compartment and inside the wheels. No longer do it myself, so I pay a detailer. Full detail every 3 months.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
When I was working my cars generally got washed 3-4 times a year, especially before and after winter. Now that I am retired it gets washed monthly or if it’s really dirty.

Everyone’s situation and circumstances are different. Like so many things, we cannot put a general timeline on doing anything.

Indeed. Makes sense.

Spending many tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle only to let it roach out from neglect is - - - - .
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The Grand Marquis, Envoy, Explorer and Pajero gets washed once a week including the undercarriage, engine compartment and inside the wheels. No longer do it myself, so I pay a detailer. Full detail every 3 months.

Nice!
I aint washin no cars.
lol.gif
That has to be the most mind numbing waste of good time there is.

Second most. Posting about not washing cars is #1.
15.gif

Go wash some cars and get some joy joy feelings.
lol.gif

Heeeeee Haaaaaa !
thumbsup2.gif

But of course...right now everything is washed, cleaned, detailed here - or as we often call it - boring time.
thankyou2.gif

4-5 times a month, plus 1 wash after any long road trip. During pollen season i might end up washing it 8-10 times a month. Most of the time it’s by hand, but if i’m busy i run it thru the touchless machine.

I heard somewhere that it’s bad for pollen to sit on cars or something, said it aids to etching/uv damage. That’s why I wash it so much.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
4-5 times a month, plus 1 wash after any long road trip. During pollen season i might end up washing it 8-10 times a month. Most of the time it’s by hand, but if i’m busy i run it thru the touchless machine.

I heard somewhere that it’s bad for pollen to sit on cars or something, said it aids to etching/uv damage. That’s why I wash it so much.

Nice. Looks like you wash more often than I do (but a few make fun of me for it
cool.gif
)

Yeah - pollen on a car is a bad thing. Even a few random particles with the car sitting in the sun will melt that stuff onto the finish, leaving a bad/sticky material on the exterior surfaces. Clay-barring will get that gunk off though...car washing alone won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back