ArmorAll wax wipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else use AA wax wipes? Is there any scientific data that says those wipes are any good at protecting from UV damage?

I saw them for like $4 a pack at walmart and picked one up. I applied it about 2 weeks ago and it still beaded nice last night. Just don’t trust it to protect from UV damage(been full sun, 100 degrees+ for the last 2 weeks, and up coming 2 months). I wanted to apply 845 but then it started raining after I dried the car so I decided the wipes were gonna be the move. Did the whole car in 5 minutes. If there is any proof that this stuff is good in the long run I may start bulking up on it as a topper wax.

I'm thinking it's a great way to get swirls and scratches with little to no protection. I would check detailing forums too and see what they think.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm thinking it's a great way to get swirls and scratches with little to no protection. I would check detailing forums too and see what they think.

That's pretty much how I feel too.

Don't waste your time with those wipes, avocado. Use a proper wax - even a basic one, but ideally a good one like Finish Kare, Meguiars Ultimate, etc.. - and a good applicator and MF towel combo. Might cost a bit more up front, but the results will be far superior, and the per-use cost will actually a ton lower.

A good tub or bottle of wax, applicator, and MF towel set will give you many applications, whereas the Armor-All wipes will not last long.

A easy way to wax your car is to use spray wax as you dry. While the car is wet after rinsing, spray the wax one panel at a time. Dry and buff using good microfiber towels, one for drying, another for the final buff. Saves time and you will have a better looking job compared to those wax wipes.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A easy way to wax your car is to use spray wax as you dry. While the car is wet after rinsing, spray the wax one panel at a time. Dry and buff using good microfiber towels, one for drying, another for the final buff. Saves time and you will have a better looking job compared to those wax wipes.

Any recommendations for a spray wax that I can find relatively easy/affordably Luke at walmart or target? Is turtle wax good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PlzRepond

Any recommendations for a spray wax that I can find relatively easy/affordably Luke at walmart or target? Is turtle wax good?

I haven't tried it just yet but I'm seeing really good reports about the Turtle Wax "wax as you dry" spray way. I use to like Eagle One WAYD but they recently changed their formulation and I'm still testing it. It is looking like it is not as good as the old version.

I have found Turtle Wax ICE to work well, but my procedure isnt quite a 'wax as you dry.' I start with a properly applied wax (currently have carnauba on both cars but will probably use synthetic next time). After washing, I dry the entire car with a leaf blower. I then apply spray wax to one panel at a time (including the trim/rubber and windows) and wipe it off. After entire car is finished, I follow with a final wipe with new MF cloth.

I have not tried TW ICE on a wet car, so I don't know how easy it is to use it for a typical wash as you dry.

There are so many brands out there. Turtlewax and Meguiars are the bigger names. I would check out Autogeek and Autopia for some info in their forums. Some other brands that are good are Griots, Optimum, Adams, to name a few.

There are so many brands out there. Turtlewax and Meguiars are the bigger names. I would check out Autogeek and Autopia for some info in their forums. Some other brands that are good are Griots, Optimum, Adams, to name a few.

...and of course Chemical Guys. Walmart carries 1-2 of their spray products.

Yeah...there are plenty of folks who offer products. Some are (of course) better than others.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
...and of course Chemical Guys. Walmart carries 1-2 of their spray products.

Yeah...there are plenty of folks who offer products. Some are (of course) better than others.

I've noticed not many professionals use their products. So the price/performance ratio must be off. You should try out some other brands. And no I don't need to see more pictures of the white Hyundai.

In terms of over-the-counter spray waxes, I've used both Turtle Wax and Eagle One spray waxes on my car, and I've found both to be very good. My go-to, however, is usually Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, although I buy it in the gallon form as D156.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I've noticed not many professionals use their products. So the price/performance ratio must be off. You should try out some other brands. And no I don't need to see more pictures of the white Hyundai.

Maybe not where you live...but sorry to say there are 2 professional detailing shops within 5 miles of my home alone that both use Chemical Guys products. They both favor their products for their full detailing services...down to using their hexlogic pads.

There is also an auto detailer supply distributor about 20 minutes away that has their products regularly in stock, as well as Carguys and other brands. Perhaps living in a city area of 6 million makes things more accessible in this neck of the country.

I've tried more than 15 brands in recent years, and explore others as I learn about them. The stuff from Chemical Guys frequently exceeds the results from other propagandized products that some other folks promote. Buying products when on sale normalizes the price playing field. There are literally a dozen or more proven products that meet the needs of the poster who asked the question about spray wax products. The differences often come in availability, price, ease of application (and removal), versatility on various exterior surfaces including trim, as well as final results (typically the most important).

Plenty of ways to skin the cat...but using a bunch of these products in the real world helps narrow the cream at the top from the also-ran ones.

Many detail shops aren't that good which are likely the ones using C-guys. I'm talking about the top tier detailers that you would allow to touch your car. Not some hack that calls themselves a detailer. C-guys is average with a premium price.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Many detail shops aren't that good which are likely the ones using C-guys. I'm talking about the top tier detailers that you would allow to touch your car. Not some hack that calls themselves a detailer. C-guys is average with a premium price.

WOW....just WOW.

One of the 2 professional detailing shops I referenced using Chemical Guys products is 1/4 a mile from an exclusive Country Club golf course subdivision of some of the richest folks in the state with $10 Million and higher priced homes - and those "hack detailers" (as you describe them) seem to do just fine with their Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's, and other high-end cars (including 2 McLaren's) regularly. That subdivision's residents include pro sports athletes, movie production execs, and other high rollers who clearly trust that professional detailer with their highly-expensive "toys". That would seem to support the logic that if the products they use are "OK" for those vehicles...they're likely not too bad for less affluent folks.

Several of those car-owners recently participated in a nearby car show - gorgeous things to see. Two of them specifically shared their preferences for 2 of the Chemical Guys products, citing durability and shine results for one of their spray wax products. Eyes don't lie.

Your demeaning characterizations demonstrate a clear bias, but certainly not the facts.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Lucas Slick Mist

X2, good stuff.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back