My advance auto gold battery life (story)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just FYI, autocraft gold battery was made in 12/15. I bought in 1/16, died 7,16,18 so about 2 years and 6 months of use, not a lot of miles about 8000 a year, lot of starts and lot of summer air con. 99 maxima.
still thought it would last longer, most of my batteries go over 4 years. new car toyota batteries typically go 6 years, wish you could by those in aftermarket.

advance charged it, and then tested it, it failed. they gave me new battery, on the replace free for 3 years warranty. johnson controll battery I think.
could have left wife stranded. warranty left on the new battery is 7 months.

Standard Operating Procedures for Johnson Control batteries. If they make it past the 3 year warranty date, it’s an amazing feat. The last one I installed (Walmart Everstart Maxx) made it 16 months. Walmart made it good but, it will be my last Johnson Control battery. I had a AZ Duralast in a Hyundai Tucson That didn’t make it 3 years.

All American made JC batteries I had lasted 6 years. Did you check the water level ?

Someone said now JC batteries were not being made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
All American made JC batteries I had lasted 6 years. Did you check the water level ?

Some are made in Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Arabia government is wanting to diversify it's economy more and not rely so heavy on oil. A good thing.

maybe some of the batteries say "distributed by JC "
which could be different from made by

I have a hunch about the long running and increasing occurrences of ridiculously short battery life.

It's a hunch and I'm sharing it with you. If you disagree, say so. If you have anything to add, add it.

No points given for saying I have no proof because I already said that.

Here goes: We all know flooded lead acid batteries are a holdover from the 19th Century. I believe the big money is all behind the new battery technologies and would love to see FLA's simply go away. Besides furthering the sale of newly discovered science, the industry can greatly reduce the necessary handling of lead and acid. Removing these components from the retail streams alone would be a benefit.

As a subsequence, we're enduring the industry "sabotage" the old tech batteries in order to induce us into embracing the new.

It's not that far fetched an idea.

edit: Where on a battery does one look to see who made it?

The Walmart Everstart Maxx (JCI) in my KIA and the one prior (16 months) made in Mexico.
From now on, I will buy only East Penn made batteries.

Last edited:
Not terrific, however looking at display location in a hot-ish clime. Toughest on batteries. Not many miles not helpful either. No excuse, just giving some mitigating circumstances. I put a low amp battery maintainer on my batteries occasionally, ones also seeing less miles a year and similar clime. Have old Autocraft Silver 35 group from 6/2012 in an Accord still cranking, but not expecting much longer. ACr Gold from 2013 on vehicle stored outside replaced last June with $50 WM ValuePower battery.

Doubtful more AutoCraft batteries for me though. WM Everstart Maxx, now lowest priced 3 year full/5year pro rated battery. They are also JCI batteries here. That likely next up in that tier.

On the plus side, at least it didn't die the day after the warranty expired.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I have a hunch about the long running and increasing occurrences of ridiculously short battery life.

It's a hunch and I'm sharing it with you. If you disagree, say so. If you have anything to add, add it.

Here goes: We all know flooded lead acid batteries are a holdover from the 19th Century. I believe the big money is all behind the new battery technologies and would love to see FLA's simply go away. Besides furthering the sale of newly discovered science, the industry can greatly reduce the necessary handling of lead and acid. Removing these components from the retail streams alone would be a benefit.

As a subsequence, we're enduring the industry "sabotage" the old tech batteries in order to induce us into embracing the new.

What's the new battery tech being pushed on us? AGM is still lead acid. Seriously curious about your theory.

Max profit mentality means they are built so that the higher percentage will likely last the warranty period.

Nowadays higher parasitic loads on vehicles can deep cycle a starter battery, which they do not enjoy as all lead acid batteries always want to be kept cool, and fully charged.

One cant charge an 80% charged battery to 100% in less than 3.5 hours and that is when it is held at at ideal voltages.

Your vehicle does not come close to holding it at ideal voltages, even if you were to drive it 3.5 hours.

You want a battery to last? Charge it regularly to full or nearly so by plugging it into a 'smart' charger, even though these too do not hold the ideal voltage for long enough.

The Worst constructed battery kept fully charged will last longer than the best battery chronically undercharged.

Many modern vehicles will attempt to keep the battery at 80% charged or less, so that when one lifts their foot off the gas to coast or brake, the depleted battery can duck up 20 to 50 amps when the voltage regulator controlling alternator output seeks mid 14's. It is said each 25 amps that the alternator produces requires 1 engine HP.
This is an attempt to get those epa MPG numbers up a smidge, and this is a battery killer.

A fully charged battery cannot accept much amperage, so this minor regenerative braking scheme in the quest for a smidge more MPG, requires the battery be dischrged to the point it can accept higher amperage when the system voltage is increased

Automakers do not care about battery life. But that MPG number going up a tiny fraction means they are rewarded. Even though the energy required to recycle lead acid batteries is way way greater than any fuel efficiency gained.

Put a digital voltmeter in a ciggy port. When you lift your foot off the gas or hit the brakes and voltage climbs up into the 14s from some point well below that, your vehicle is sacrificing battery life for a miniscule amount of extra MPG.

Thank you again C.A.F.E.

Not much one can do when one's vehicle is trying to trade battery life for MPG, although the battery will still appreciate being brought back to full charge via a grid powered charger, even if the next time the car is driven its voltage regulator will allow it to discharge to the point it can accept higher amperage, in that sub 80% charged range.

A marine battery will have slightly lower CCA figures, weigh a bit more, and be slightly more tolerant of deeper cycling, but warranties on marine batteries are shorter or Non existent, and of course not available in all BCI group sizes.

Marine batteries also seem to require longer periods at higher voltages to reach a true full charge when they are regularly cycled, and it is hard to get a 'smart' charger to seek abd hold these higher voltages for the duration required to max out the specific gravity.

A hydrometer will prove that most smart chargers, are stopping the absorption stage(constant voltage held in the mid 14's) prematurely, and dropping to float voltage.

This has been coined 'premature efloatulation' in the marine world, and its occurrence is a battery murderer.

And modern vehicles do it on purpose as it seems the only times they allow 14+v is when coasting or braking.

Since I deeply cycle my batteries intentionally, I modified my voltage rgulation and can choose voltage by a dial on my dashboard, next to digital ammeter and voltmeter, but even my 30 year old vehicle would immuninate the check engine light if I did not trick it with a 10 Ohm 50 watt resistor, into thinking it is still connected to the externally regulated alternator.

and 30+ seconds of 14.8v when the engine computer is seeking only 13.7v still lights up that CEL and it goes open loop and MPG and power suffer until I reset engine computer.

It is a shame that automakers have sacrificed battery life for extremely slight possible improvements in mpgs, buut battery makeers also have done the math and statistics and cheapened their products to an acceptable number of warranty claims.

AGM is still lead acid but Lithiums aren't. I cannot keep track of all the compounds. Nickle-metal-hydride etc. They're working on carbon structures doped with stuff. I didn't say it would be overnight. FLA's work so well in most of Earth's climates.

I get mine from a place in town called Battery Systems https://www.batterysystems.net/ . I think it's a chain but they have Centennial brand made in Korea and they have been lasting 5 years. I just replaced the one in my 2.2 and they only charged me $59. The GXP is due this winter so I need to head over this fall. Autozone is over $130, what a rip off.

Looks like a trend has started. I just installed a free replacement of a JCI battery (Everstart Maxx) yesterday 1 month before the free replacement warranty expired yesterday. Tested at 327 ccas.

I have always used diehards,but the last time I walked into the local sears at Christmas time,they had batteries over a year old on the shelf,apparently they stopped ordering a lot of slow moving items.Store will Probably go out of business soon.

I remember when carquest was not owned by advance and they had a car quest line of batteries,those where pretty good batteries,the new autocraft is probably a different story

Originally Posted By: Kira

Do we really need one more conspiracy theory?
This one about lead acid battery obsolescence and the plan "they" are implementing?!?
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Do you also only purchase incandescent light bulbs?!?

In the past month I purchased a Walmart Ever Start Max that was made by East Penn. Some Walmart batterys are now being made by EP. You can look on the battery and if the serial number starts with EP it is made by EP, if it starts with JC it is Johnson Controls. My new battery comes sealed you cannot check the water??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back