Ravenol vs. Redline / for M cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use Ravenol over Red Line in a heartbeat.

But I'd take the current incarnation of Castrol TWS over either of them. It was co-developed with your engine. The odds that another oil will have a more important advantage are basically nil.

I think that Redline occupies an interesting niche, as European companies seems to offer non-group three synthetics more readily than they do here. You can find a real PAO based synthetic that is not a boutique oil.

I hate to be cliche but there is no need for a boutique oil on a mostly stock car. TWS 10W60 or Edge Supercar!

By looking at the published information it seems to me that maybe Red Line uses more esters in its mix versus Ravenol which tends to favor the PAO's. I think either one could be used with success with the Ravenol enjoying certifications the Red Line doesn't have. That being said. I am seriously thinking about the Ravenol for future use over the Red Line I am using now.

There is nothing wrong with either. Another good 10w60 is from Liqui-Moly. It is available at Napa, or they can easily order it.

My local dealer just called me (manhattan BMW) and said they're having a sale on the 10/60 for 5$ a quart! I ordered 4 cases and cleaned them out. Call the dealers and see if they're offering the same. Might be only on sale there since its a corporate owned dealership.

Why folks are so upbeat on Ravenol's perceived superiority? Most likely a novelty factor. It's an average oil in Germany.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Why folks are so upbeat on Ravenol's perceived superiority? Most likely a novelty factor. It's an average oil in Germany.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's:

1. Good variety
2. Solid approvals
3. Several ambitious oils (e.g. xW-20s with ACEA A5 and tested against Honda HTO-06)
4. Generally very low Noack numbers, suggesting consistent use of high quality base stocks

I've always liked Redline's philosophy, but for PCMO's, I've never been much of a fan. I also question how much POE they really use, in the past and currently. They lack official approvals and claim to meet specs they clearly can't based on the chemistry they use.

I have heard nothing but good things about Ravenol but have never used it.

Originally Posted By: buster
I've always liked Redline's philosophy, but for PCMO's, I've never been much of a fan. I also question how much POE they really use, in the past and currently. They lack official approvals and claim to meet specs they clearly can't based on the chemistry they use.

I think that's why you rarely see their PCMOs mentioned even on this board. Lots of AMSOIL and RP users here, but the only PCMO they offer that gets mentioned on here is their 10W30 because it can be used as a SAE30.

RL PCMO's best attribute, IMO, is it's shear stability. They use little to no VII's and their oils are extremely shear stable, even in fuel diluting engines. The downside has always been their poor TBN retention, although my current understanding of that has changed and I'm not so sure it ever was an issue.

I think RL stands out with their racing oils. They seem to have a great reputation in racing circles.

i consider Redline one of the best in its class + prolly cheaper + better than Ravenol!!! i replaced all my driveline fluids in my 11 Nissan Frontier with Redline products + picked up 2 mpg as well as more protection. their differential lubes are great as are their oils that are better than needed unless its a hot air cooled motorcycle where Esters perform best for the $$$$

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Its a mid tier oil, nothing special at all or something I would order or go across the street to another store for it. For that matter LM is is on the same level for me, I could have had it cheap any time I want (still can) it but rarely ever used it.
Shell Helix Ultra in the form of PP Euro LX 0w30, Mobil 1 0w30/0w40 ESP and new Castrol Edge 0w30/10w60 is something really worthwhile going out of your way a little for.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Shell Helix Ultra in the form of PP Euro LX 0w30, Mobil 1 0w30/0w40 ESP and new Castrol Edge 0w30/10w60 is something really worthwhile going out of your way a little for.

Why those in particular?

All are A3/B4, meet a lot of high end specs, are year round oils, the 10w60 does not shear much, it keeps high output engines together with minimal wear under extreme conditions. ESP 0w40 is the new Corvette spec oil so GM feels it can do the job in those high output engines.
All are available off the shelf over there and most are available (Castrol 0w30 might be a bit of a problem) in the US at reasonable prices.

These big companies are well respected and not likely to fiddle with the data and really get the spec approvals.
Check the certs on this one for example and its a true synthetic.

https://www.castrol.com/de_de/germany/ca...ge-motorol.html

Its a mid tier oil, nothing special at all or something I would order or go across the street to another store for it. For that matter LM is is on the same level for me, I could have had it cheap any time I want (still can) it but rarely ever used it.

It seems Ravenol is getting a bit ambitious though, trying to go a little upscale. They're taking an exceedingly large gamble, but it may work out for them.

That may be true but I figure why bother with second stringers when you can have top shelf in the same store.

What about Rowe? Are they considered a bottom or mid tier oil as well ?

Who is considered a top tier brand in Germany ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back