How many times do you dip your stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you usually pull it out and wipe it off and then dip and check it, or do you do it again just to make sure of the level?

Or maybe you let it sit all day or night and just pull it out and read it.

I usually pull, wipe, dip and read.

I typically check my oil on level ground first thing in the morning. I pull the dipstick out and read it, wipe it, put it back and call it done. I found that the easiest and most accurate way, for my vehicles. There is no special way of checking the oil for mine, like drive 'x' amount of minutes, then shut down for 'y' amount of time and check. If I'm on a trip I'll let the car sit about 10 minutes, then I'll use your method.

I also check it first thing in the morning on level ground. Pop the hood, pull the stick, wipe clean, reinsert -- pull and read.

As a former Subaru owner with flakey diptubes and EXTREME sensitivity to level, I appear to get the most consistent result by checking the Rogue's oil in the nearly LEVEL parking lot at work at the end of the workday maybe 2x a month - as It doesn't use oil.

So I: Pull it and read it;

The old: Pull/Wipe/Re-Insert/Read just muddies the subsequent readings with the oil dragged up the dip tube.

Tweech Hisone

If i'm going to check it, I check it before I go anywhere.
No wiping necessary,
just pull it out, check, and stick it back in.

If it needs oil then the process changes and involves a clean rag.

After sitting for at least 4 hours. Pull & read it. Only time I check it hot is if I’m on a long road trip, then I pull, wipe, dip, read

Another vote for first thing in the morning on level ground. This was the only way to get a proper reading on my old VQ35 (anyone who has one knows what a PITA the dipstick design is). That approach has carried over to all my cars now
smile.gif

Sometimes the first pull wont be accurate. for example my deere 316 the oil stays on the dipstick after being shutdown. you have to pull wipeoff then insert and check.

Some cars have flaky dipstick tubes that hold oil too.. always go with the lowest side of the dipstick.

I hate cars that have those thin, long and flimsy helix shaped dipsticks like my Peugeot.
My Capri on the other hand is a delight, it's not very long, it has two nice big triangular notches and it's flat, also in an easy to reach location.

Out wiped dip read.
Harley : out, wipe in squint curse in out in level out read, nope in walk away get a rag out read off the rag. What retard thought a chrome dipstick was idea? Take too long to read and it runs off.

My Focus will hold air in the tube so the level will read low on the first pull even after sitting for hours. When I first got it I was adding oil until it was about a litre over. My tractor do the same on the trans/hyd fluid sump. My riding mower will hold the oil up an inch on the first pull.
So now I always dip a couple times just to be sure!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I typically check my oil on level ground first thing in the morning. I pull the dipstick out and read it, wipe it, put it back and call it done. I found that the easiest and most accurate way, for my vehicles. There is no special way of checking the oil for mine, like drive 'x' amount of minutes, then shut down for 'y' amount of time and check. If I'm on a trip I'll let the car sit about 10 minutes, then I'll use your method.

+1

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
crackmeup2.gif

yup, you retirees and your jokes....

I like the OP, take-out, look, wipe, insert, take-out, read.

I hate Nissan dipsticks. They're very hard to read unless the engine has been off for a while. For the Frontier, I remove, wipe and repeat twice to get an accurate reading. For the Santa Fe and Sorento, I just remove, wipe, insert, and remove and read. Much easier and I don't have to deal with waiting long or inserting a long, weird dipstick like the Frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back