2000 satur n l series ok? 108,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw an add,Saturn l series, $800..108,000 miles,listed fair. A c works. These known too have major problems,like 98 lesabr e and cooling gaskets,or Ford taurus n transmissions? Thinking of buyingit!

If it drives okay, doesn't have bald tires and a cracked windshield, buy it. A drivable car for $800.00 wont last long unless the seller is hiding under a rock.

Yeah!I know! Wondering,how it compares,too. 98 lesabre,2002 Ford taurus..

Last edited:
Other than oil useage, I have found them to be great little economy cars. Easy to work on and not expensive for parts. I've been looking for one like that myself for a friend. Her 97 Accord with 289k is starting to have issues especially with her transmission.

Had a 2003 until 2016. Ran great and sold it with 113,000 miles on it. Needed an exhaust system but that was it . Ran well and never had a major problem except the original AC battery which shorted out internally somehow and ruined the computer. That was covered by warranty. Blame the battery, not the car.

If it drives well, has reasonable service records and looks OK, I say go for it.

Buy it, especially if it is a manual. Seen them mentioned a lot here on BITOG as the cheapest car ever. Apparently they are known to burn oil but that is not a big deal in my book.

Need to page eljefino here.

Oil burners, but they seem to happily burn oil forver. IIRC eljefino will say to get the DOHC as they don't pull timing as bad, but, at this price, beggars can't be choosy. Do your rust inspection well. Very well. Plastic panels notwithstanding they will rust. Lower control arms in particular, although I think the engine cradle(?) does too. Down pipe on the exhaust is no longer available? There is a forum dedicated to these cars, that would be a good place to go.

Good luck. I had a 2000 SL that I liked.

Edit: I know my 2000 had to have the head replaced under warranty, they had some porous castings. Gonna guess yours was fixed long ago or not an issue.

Also: I don't know if synthetic oil would help prevent oil burning or not. IIRC the problem on these motors wasn't oil drain holes but rather oil rings that gave up.

Last edited:
I had a Saturn stationwagen 1999 and sold it at 200 000 + milles on the clock. Great car, only thing I would do is replace the waterpump. Mine went at 344 000kms.

Never had any tranny problems but the engine used some oil....PCV problem with the Saturns.

I think rust kills them in the subframes or maybe cradle. That has been the demise of a few friends who owned this car.

Please note too a case of oil in trunk was an ownership requirement for 4 of my friends who had them.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I think rust kills them in the subframes or maybe cradle. That has been the demise of a few friends who owned this car.

Please note too a case of oil in trunk was an ownership requirement for 4 of my friends who had them.

Did any of them frequent the back of any parts store after the weekend?

Ziggy, are you talking about the L series, the bigger car introduced in 2000? I don't know much about them, except that they're pretty much a different car from the famously oil-burning S series. They had an Ecotec 2.2 or a V6.

You probably already know it's an interference engine. Timing chain tensioners were a specific component that could cause the chain to fail, bent valves, etc.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72096

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2010/09/...-2l-l61-ecotec/

Also, the original head bolt torque specs in the factory service manual were wrong. AERA's Engine Builder had the correct specs but I can't find the PDF I kept of it any more...anyway just for your back pocket if you ever get this far with it.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Ziggy, are you talking about the L series, the bigger car introduced in 2000? I don't know much about them, except that they're pretty much a different car from the famously oil-burning S series. They had an Ecotec 2.2 or a V6.

Yeah this. The V6 is a buggy trip. The 4 cyl is not bad. Their subframes go to heck too along with the S-series. A clean L-series with 4 cyl would be a boring and acceptable ride.

They also attract geezers which can be easy on cars.

There is great confusion among sellers on if a SL is an S series or L series. Noone cares!

Well,I'm going tomorrow afternoon,too check it out! Look at the oil ,transmission scion fluid,coolant level,condition.ask if theirs any leaks,see if check engine light is on,ect. 98 lesabre,needs new upper,lower intake gaskets, $600..shop I called.radiator is leaking g after shutdown,right below upper hose, steel putty didn't work,still looks like factory radiator...$143 napa. All 4 struts going...needs new tires...much rather out money into the saturn.hopefully,rings are ok as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back