Thin cleans better, allows longer OCI than thick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
The paper did not test or discuss cleaning of deposits.

Every base oil tested was of a significantly different chemical make-up. That strongly effects their performance in almost any performance test. Viscosities at 100C we’re either around 9.7 for two of them, 5.0 for three of them, 4.2 for one, and 5.9 for none. That is a poor set to make conclusions about the effect of viscosity at 100C in deposit formation due to both of those realities. That was not one of the main objectives of the paper, but because they were doing a lot of regression analyses, they apparently figured that they might as well do it also do it on viscosity. If it had been a main focus they would have chosen the base oil(s) of the same chemical make-up(s), and varied the viscosity over a sufficiently large range (ideally at least as large as 4 cST to 10 cSt).

The base oils did not contain additives. The oils that underwent less processing contain various sulfur and nitrogen compounds that came from the crude oil and survived the processing. These compounds act as antioxidants that improves their performance in oxidation tests. PAO has essentially none of these compounds. Additionally, different base oil types respond differently to antioxidants added by formulators. The heavily processed base oils tend to respond more strongly to adding antioxidant additives than do the lesser processed ones. Fully formulated oils we buy of course also contain a lot of other additive types besides antioxidants, which are chosen specifically for the type(s) of base oils they will be mixed with. Testing pure base oils informs scientists and their understanding for the sake of understanding, but the results should not be used by us to make big statements about fully formulated oils.

Deposit tests in which the oil thickness is thin and oil vapors are removed from the test will give a large advantage to the more volatile oils. If an oil molecule is not present on the heated surface, it cannot possibly leave a deposit on it. That is why the oil that 100% evaporated away had 0 deposits and largely why the oils that evaporated the least had the most deposits. One must think carefully of what parts in an engine are similar to a test like this. There is certainly no complete or largely complete analog to it.

Those hydrogenated aromatic base oils performed relatively well in those tests. They had low deposits and the highest temperature of onset of oxidation in the PDSC test. They have too many negative traits so they are typically purposely kept out of our lubricants to a large extent. PAO performed relatively poorly due to a combination of its low volatility, having no natural antioxidant, and the nature of its chemical make-up.

Spot on!

Especially "Testing pure base oils informs scientists and their understanding for the sake of understanding, but the results should not be used by us to make big statements about fully formulated oils."

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
No thanks. I’ll stick with a proper 3.5+ HTHS synthetic.

I think I wasn't clear in my original post. We are talking about the base oil, not the finished oil.

For example Mobil 1 0W-40 has a very thin base oil but it has KV100 = 13.5 cSt and HTHSV = 3.8 cP. Using its CCS @ -35 C = 5700 cP and NOACK = 9%, BOQI = 68, which is an extremely high base-oil-quality index, definitely in the Group III+/GTL/PAO range (data from an ExxonMobil presentation [PDF link]).

So, you cam still have a "thin" oil with a very high HTHSV. "Thin" actually refers to a thin base oil and a low CCS -- as in 0W-xx -- in this case, not to KV100 or HTHSV.

Is a "thin" oil (as in a thin base oil) always the best of all worlds? No, as I pointed out to a Nissan study recently (link to the post), thinner base oils such as in 0W-20 and 0W-16 may lead to increased chain wear or increased valvetrain wear.

Motor oil is always about compromise! Usually, the manufacturer's recommendations are good, as they try to optimize various variables.

Van der Waals FTW.

Three thoughts:
1. All these base oils are chemically distinct - viscosity may have nothing to do with deposits - could it not be that certain chemically distinct base oils leave fewer deposits and also just happen to have a lower viscosity?

2. With all the additives added to commercially available oil, even if there is a relationship between viscosity and deposits (and I’m not saying there is), does it make any practical difference after the add packs are introduced?

3. As for you’re BOQI - how are you defining “quality” - what are the units of your BOQI and do they make sense?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
My Mazda owners manual says to use Castrol. The Mazda Moly oil is only recommended for best fuel economy.

It actually says Mazda and Castrol (for US and Mexico only). No particular brand recommendations for other locales. 0W20 for US and Canada and 5W30 elsewhere.

With 0W20 being so superior I wonder why they wouldn’t want to inflict it to the whole planet.

Originally Posted By: nap
With 0W20 being so superior I wonder why they wouldn’t want to inflict it to the whole planet.

The OEMs can deliver entire cars to every corner (sic) of the globe.

Unfortunately, they forget to fill the trunk with a lifetime supply of the oil of perfectitude, and rely on Oxen to deliver it 40 years ago.

One of the most interesting points in this thread: Honda wants you to jump to a 30 grade if you can't use their additive loaded 0w20. That is one telling statement, right from the owner's manual.

Hyundai/KIA do the CAFE recommendation too but sure don't hesitate to make a higher grade recommendation for "hot weather or towing".

Our CRV at work has had "whatever" 0w20 it's whole life, and now at 80k it is quite the oil drinker.

I remain convinced a good 30 grade is the best balance of protection and economy.

Quality. In the context of “API certified oils”, it can’t really be defined other than through how well the oil performs in the API certified tests. With a footnote on xW20 oils mentioning that they are subjected to less (stringent) performance criteria and thus cannot be directly compared to other API categories due to an incomplete comparison data set.

Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
Three thoughts:
1. All these base oils are chemically distinct - viscosity may have nothing to do with deposits - could it not be that certain chemically distinct base oils leave fewer deposits and also just happen to have a lower viscosity?

2. With all the additives added to commercially available oil, even if there is a relationship between viscosity and deposits (and I’m not saying there is), does it make any practical difference after the add packs are introduced?

3. As for you’re BOQI - how are you defining “quality” - what are the units of your BOQI and do they make sense?

1. Of course, we are talking about the same "base-stock slate" when talking about comparing different viscosities. You can't compare apples to oranges. See the official API definitions from their base-oil guide:

C4ASMd5aOnpcZeDoNX_gXMViru9c9NcArlO3C3fZP_x3PFZWnDiFJAw_EDbaAItgjHreF65-0YhoD183VErCWrbw7OlHArARaaTJbpz_anE4BJXlknM_emFQMuql-E7Il6GkDhv5G-3BBN3_7bd7evmS8zAIbWMrO1MFmR6fzTOtLbgMxmmHbZMulb4vUvoCAg4My9MOGteDHuFFz2dD6dpGwzlufbLvAJVaps5iuOBVhnQu-QGRaBztK6XNtC07gYMNiPX9wdqgZJ6VAxpNQ8m02eZ0q7HRuwqy1i8grl1kCJcwgS1cQ93JILNdNv2Ulrwv5huClVe4StwhAMLlgMScAbQveZDf_8viarw3o7KILgvcI-E1TS5HFQV_-QJzJo5avW8xNXUuyCMrgI-5HzqZEsWspSlka8QApFmUjLpK3ApTv-7Lk_EtLkZB_5kbFk0qq5q6J3AMqr0KHW2CssrYyMUrrY6eF15y7ZTT3iDNtNZk3zdNmF_lndmTbAVgV-M0d7daP8yYKOiJZ5m6JT5zsuB9gHlhTnF9vmPy1szguIswiFYRJxWytA1wyBjByjGc5_dKDARVVHFm_opTXQqWYOCwWszN14OCtfG8=w1369-h522-no

2. Of course, the base oil does make a difference. The base oil is what makes an oil cheap or expensive, conventional or synthetic. See the thin-film oxidation test for M1 0W-40 SM vs. SN (the former using PAO and the latter a mixture of Group III+ & PAO) in the presentation I just linked above. If only the base-oil viscosity but not the base-stock slate is varied, the difference is probably small unless the viscosity difference is big.

3. See the two BOQI threads for the answers to these questions. They are linked in the OP.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
Van der Waals FTW.

That was cruel, man. Thank you though

Ha! Organic was 20 years ago and somehow I ended up the teaching assistant. I loved the subject when most people hated iit but it wasn’t nearly as difficult as P-chem...to this day I’m still trying to figure that subject material out...

Could it be that, in the case of 0W20 oils, these manufacturers feel that just a plain jane API spec would be insufficient for their engines? And that they should instead encourage the use of their specially formulated house brand oils?

CATERHAM has been implying that for ages. It may certainly be true, but there's no evidence for that, and, besides, several other OEMs have shown there are ways to specify oils above a minimum API specification.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Could it be that, in the case of 0W20 oils, these manufacturers feel that just a plain jane API spec would be insufficient for their engines? And that they should instead encourage the use of their specially formulated house brand oils?

CATERHAM has been implying that for ages. It may certainly be true, but there's no evidence for that, and, besides, several other OEMs have shown there are ways to specify oils above a minimum API specification.

It's a fact, and there are many many papers on the fact that as you move down the Stribeck curve, the oil film thickness diminishes and you get into mixed/boundary conditions in the bearings (which cams and lifters have been living in forever), and especially in stop start applications.

When people posit that the ideal engine oil is one that stays at exactly the same viscosity at all temperatures...well, yes, but it would also need additives that were completely functional at all temperatures...and we don't got them.

We know from the Sequence IVA wear test that they are exploiting the fact that there's a "perfect storm" of lessening viscosity and not yet functional additives. BobbyDavro states that he's performed the tests colder (thicker oil), and hotter (more additive activation) and both cases less wear arises.

So thinner...more additives are needed.

The Japanese OEMs were stuck with 0W20, and wanted lower, so they created those unicorns with stratospheric VIs...trying to both keep the warmup viscosity down (their words), and increasing the chances of it dropping out of grade HTHS wise in use (CATERHAM had one of the Idemitsu ??? 0W20s drop to an indicated 2.4HTHS in 400 miles).

SO they need more additives

I only found BITOG less than a week ago but come to realize that Shannow is the only one that knows anything real
smile.gif

Americans now have Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 (Dexos2 specific). Just use that oil and go find something else to waste your time on
smile.gif

Quality. In the context of “API certified oils”, it can’t really be defined other than through how well the oil performs in the API certified tests. With a footnote on xW20 oils mentioning that they are subjected to less (stringent) performance criteria and thus cannot be directly compared to other API categories due to an incomplete comparison data set.

Why are there any exceptions in API tests for 0Wx20 oil?

Are there some "performance" tests that are not applicable to 0Wx20 or why are (some?) tests "relaxed" for 0Wx20?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I was assuming for example that any api sx cert/test to be exactly the same for 0Wx20 vs. 5Wx30 ... no?

Originally Posted By: ChemLabNL
I only found BITOG less than a week ago but come to realize that Shannow is the only one that knows anything real
smile.gif

Americans now have Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 (Dexos2 specific). Just use that oil and go find something else to waste your time on
smile.gif

If Europe doesn't have M1 ESP Formula 0W40, America can ship some to you so you don't have to waste your time either!
grin.gif

But wait, we will send you 2 for price of 1 ... just pay extra shipping & handling fees
wink.gif

Anyone here using Zepro advanced moly 0W20? It is made by Idemitsu in Indiana and you can buy it on Amazon. They supply Mazda, maybe other Japanese/Asian OEM’s. I’m looking into it because I might be in a Mazda CX-5 by the end of the week. I could avoid dealer pricing on Mazda oil and get the same thing.

How do you know that it's the same thing.

Mobil made (one of the 6 or more) varietals of TGMO...and it's not the same as M1 0W20 AFE...or the Idemitsu or others.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Toyota Genuine Motor Oil...was the darling of the board, and has spawned many flights of fancy

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The article clearly states that there is an inverse correlation between the evaporation and deposits.

Point me to that statement please...

Um...maybe I'm reading it wrong...don't the two numbers (corresponding to evaporation and deposits) in that table always add up to nearly 100%? (The residuals are all 10% or less)

In other words, in that test, you essentially only get evaporation and deposits?

If that's true, the inverse relationship seems to be implicit, but it seems unclear whether or to what extent this applies to real oils in real engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back