Going several hours to buy a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad used to go all over the place for vehicles, so it sounds totally normal to me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I plan on doing a few things. Decent brakes window tint maybe wheels if I find a deal but all of that would hail in comparison to a car payment. But I won't be doing any crazy mods.

What does Dave Ramsey say about the wheels? I'd skip all mods, they don't add any resale and it's a waste of money for looks. He's telling you to eat rice and beans and you're spending it on mods?

Originally Posted By: CKN
You clearly do not understand. Dave Ramsey deals in absolutes-as do his followers. It's no credit cards PERIOD. There is not any financing of automobiles, etc.

It's absolutely forbidden-and you end up as a "GHOST". That's the term banks and other financing institutions use for those without a FICO score.

Yeah, he has some advice for people that need it, but for others that can control their credit card spending, it's the way to go. 2% cash back on Fidelity, credit cards are cheaper than paying cash. The cash payers are subsidizing the credit card payers. Just be disciplined enough to pay it off every month and never carry a balance. It's always fun at the end of the year to get a statement that says you paid $0.00 in interest for the year.

As for going of state, I did that a couple years ago. It was for a Mercedes though, had all the options I wanted and was priced low. The local ones were either much higher or didn't have the options I wanted. Not sure why NY is always cheaper, maybe more volume. Anyway my state didn't recognize temp plates so I had to drive out there, buy it and then go back home, get plates from the RMV and then go back to get it. Going there myself took a lot longer. I wouldn't do that for a 2k car. As others said, lots of times, the car is misrepresented.

Yea I'm sure modding a car isn't worth the money but as long as you have money in the bank and that how you enjoy spending a small amount of money I see no issue with it. I'm sure Ramsey would say the same thing. I've seen him say stuff similar to that. I don't have to drive a cheap car I can afford my car payment I'm just tired of doing it. I want to live simple. I want a car I can work on and enjoy.

Pride in owning Saturn -- to each there own BUT -- they were ugly/known oil burners then and there still ugly as sin now to me. I can understand what your saying about car payments though. Good luck with the Saturn if that is what your mind is made up on then.

For $2,000 if the car is in good shape I'd say go for it.

Dump the car payments and higher insurance. Depending on how much your collision is, having just liability on a Saturn may actually pay for itself.

I've been lucky enough to never need a car payment, I do have credit cards though in order to build credit, and always just pay them off in full. It actually makes sense to have it, since many places don't accept cash anymore (online stores for one) and I get points to buy things at Cabela's since I have a Cabela's Visa card.

Hopefully your health improves, best of luck.

Does college require reliable transport? Is the alternative readily available to get you about not if but when your Saturn is broken down. Fact of life owning a really old vehicle.

Dumping the Dart makes lots of sense to me not based off Dave Ramsey but attending college. Buying an old (at least 16year old) Saturn S series to me is a hobby car and really limiting decent cash paid cars out there.

good luck

When I'm ready to purchase my C5, I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the country to get it. Considering that these cars are now anywhere from 14 to 21 years old now, and that I want one in a specific configuration, I realize that I'm probably not going to find what I'm looking for in my local area...

Sell the Dart first so you aren't stuck with a white elephant you overpriced when you failed to judge the market. Then rent a car for a week and go get your saturn.

Buying the Saturn first reinforces the approach that your life's problems can be solved by spending money in your pocket, exactly the situation that got you into the mess you're currently in.

Agreed, a 2010 Cobalt XFE Coupe 5mt for example COSTS LESS than a Saturn
Is more reliable
Rarely burns oil even over 200k
Get better fuel economy (mine gets 50+ mpg on slow country roads)
And under the hood is made with all Saturn parts.
Has plentiful cheap parts
Minimal maintenance (except the blasted timing chain)

Not sure why Saturns have a cult following but they do.

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703

It was more like being part of family. Dealership treated me like family. Easy to work on. Great forum and plenty of YouTube videos. People that shared knowledge for the less knowledgeable people like me. It was the people behind the car that made the difference for me.

Sometimes life happens ram_man. Take car of yourself. My Saturn was poorly maintained but still was pretty good until 200k. That is when I needed to do more major repairs.

Since you came to this forum you have grown in many ways. I came here due to my oil burning Saturn. I do find this forum is a good sounding board and a way to get different perspectives and benefit from the experience of others. I would take what people say here with a grain a salt. My teacher said repeatedly "take what you like and leave the rest". In many ways you are doing better than me when I was your age.

I remember that I had to drive like 300mls to inspect my car (a hint by a good friend), it had been standing in the yard for like 2 years, owned by a 97 year old lady that was getting too old to drive.
In the whole last 10 years it was moved like 800 miles, yet... We threw a battery in her, gave her some fresh oil and she started right up and ran on that old gas, not even the carb was that gummed up...
That same day I drove it back home 300 mls on 21 year old tires.
Except a stuck open thermostat and a faulty oil-pressure-sensor she was completely fine!

I guess its kinda a gamble, you never know what youre gonna get, but I am definetely glad how it turned out! And at least you have some cool stories to tell, no matter what happens!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Sell the Dart first so you aren't stuck with a white elephant you overpriced when you failed to judge the market. Then rent a car for a week and go get your saturn.

Buying the Saturn first reinforces the approach that your life's problems can be solved by spending money in your pocket, exactly the situation that got you into the mess you're currently in.

I'm not in a mess..... I just paid cash for a house and you think I'm in a mess. I manage money better than most the dart will get sold AFTER. I have something to replace it with and have gone through and made whatever car decent and tip top. The payment isnt constraining me or anything like that.

Traveling out of state for a car is starting to become the norm for me. For whatever reason, once I've decided exactly what I want, it's a unicorn in Dallas. Dallas dealerships are in love with fully loaded white, silver, gray & black cars. Judging from what I see around me on the road, I guess that's what sells at the moment.

I nearly had to leave Texas to buy my '18 Mustang, but decided I could live with Kona Blue. There was not a single '18 Ecoboost 101A Automatic in Royal Crimson within 500 miles of here, but there were 10-12 gray ones. I had just made a trip to Nashville to rescue a '82 Mustang from Craigslist, so I wasn't in the mood for another long drive.

Don't let distance talk you out of having exactly what you want. Sometimes it's the only way.

Originally Posted By: paulri
My sienna was 4-5 hours away, I forget. It was the only one in my region that had a cheaper option package that still had ABS. So I figured I would pay money in gas, to save several hundred if not over a thousand, that the next higher options package would cost. Price out the expenses of the trip, and add it to the car. Would you pay that much for it if it were down the street?

Wait....there were minivans made in 2005, by Toyota no less, that didn't have ABS?

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Agreed, a 2010 Cobalt XFE Coupe 5mt for example COSTS LESS than a Saturn
Is more reliable
Rarely burns oil even over 200k
Get better fuel economy (mine gets 50+ mpg on slow country roads)
And under the hood is made with all Saturn parts.
Has plentiful cheap parts
Minimal maintenance (except the blasted timing chain)

Agree. Cobalts are very good cars and a step above Cavaliers and Saturns. I would also look at a Cavalier as that they are easy to work on, parts are still widely available and they are cheap. Very trouble free cars. Timing chain issues were fixed in 2006 or so.

Last edited:
Yea I'm sure modding a car isn't worth the money but as long as you have money in the bank and that how you enjoy spending a small amount of money I see no issue with it. I'm sure Ramsey would say the same thing. I've seen him say stuff similar to that. I don't have to drive a cheap car I can afford my car payment I'm just tired of doing it. I want to live simple. I want a car I can work on and enjoy.

Totally agree. I'm older (57), have a paid for house for almost 10 years and when I was younger enjoyed working on my fleet of junk. You have to have something fun that keeps you going through life. Everyone needs a hobby (I play the saxophone and work on all things mechanical for a sense of accomplishment). I can't stress this enough. Don't go through life like a machine that only does things practical and totally sensible. Enjoy yourself.

Wow, ChevyBoy/Dakota/Ram_Man,

My, how have you grown!!!

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Wow, ChevyBoy/Dakota/Ram_Man,

My, how have you grown!!!

Uhmmm errr I mean we all grow up eventually. I'm almost 27 I've almost died from cancer so it changed my view on life and alot of things.
I still enjoy playing with cars but only when there's plenty of money to spare.
.btw whoever said cobalts we're a step up from saturns I disagree it's just my opinion but the interior on them was horrendous. And the ecotec is stupid. Thermostat behind the exhaust manifold ECT. It's not a bad engine overall but the interior is just not my thing and the wiring. I can't tell you how many I've fixed with wiring on it's garbage .

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: paulri
My sienna was 4-5 hours away, I forget. It was the only one in my region that had a cheaper option package that still had ABS. So I figured I would pay money in gas, to save several hundred if not over a thousand, that the next higher options package would cost. Price out the expenses of the trip, and add it to the car. Would you pay that much for it if it were down the street?

Wait....there were minivans made in 2005, by Toyota no less, that didn't have ABS?

ABS on Corolla was optional through like 2009, as were curtain/side airbags. When Toyota wants to do cheap, they do cheap. But to be fair, there are always luddites who are ok with that.

142v69i.jpg

Here is the new car
smile.gif
made the 4 hour drive home from Evansville Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back