How Is Perfect Rice Cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
2 parts water, 1 part rice.
Bring to boil, turn heat down, keep lid on for 20 minutes.

Use what you need tonight, then store what you don't need in ziplok bags (we cook 2lb of rice at a time)...refrigerate 24 hours, and freeze the service size sachets.

Nuke them when you need them.

Yes, retrograding starches.

It has improved my wife's bloating after eating rice tremendously.

That's my current method, yielding the not-so-great product.

My favorite is actually the Basmati. Actually, the yellow rice, like what they serve at Persian restaurants, is my favorite.

Second a lot of advice in this thread. If you eat lots of rice like we do a rice cooker is worth the investment. Quality rice is key, and I always rinse my rice before cooking. Aroma make a good cheap rice maker but I like my zojirushi as a bonus it plays twinkle twinkle little star when it is done
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I love rice; it's my preferred starch. But I've noticed that when I get rice from Chinese restaurants, etc, the rice is perfect, not sticky or gummy.

When I cook it in a pot at home, it gets all sticky and gummy (especially certain brands or varieties).

Do I need to get a rice cooker? If so, what's the best one to get?

1. Not all rice is the same, cooks the same or tastes the same.
2. Rinsing rice several times before cooking removes excess starch, minimizing sticky/gummy results.
3. I use a rice cooker I bought decades ago. Nothing fancy but it works great.

That's my current method, yielding the not-so-great product.
My favorite is actually the Basmati. Actually, the yellow rice, like what they serve at Persian restaurants, is my favorite.

Saffron rice?

I love rice; it's my preferred starch. But I've noticed that when I get rice from Chinese restaurants, etc, the rice is perfect, not sticky or gummy.

When I cook it in a pot at home, it gets all sticky and gummy (especially certain brands or varieties).

Best advice I read (but can't remember where I read it) is once boiled, you need minimal heat, even to the point of turning heat off before all water is absorbed to prevent the rice breaking down. Focus on cooking time, not complete water absorbtion, taste if, its soft and there excess water, you can always drain.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Wash the rice! thats what keeps it from getting sticky. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil to mine and let it sit for one day in the fridge before eating..it cuts the calories in half and makes the rice more digestible.

I use an Aroma rice cooker from walmart. Comes out perfect every time.

I have noticed that the yellow bag of jasmine rice lies about the amount of water..a misprint i think.

1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water for short grain white rice; 1.5 cups of water for long grain or medium grain white rice; and 2 cups of water per cup of brown rice.

That's the same one I have. It's not too hard to clean. I pretty much just use it for rice.

I'm on my 2nd Zojirushi bread machine. Nice unit. I just boiled my first pot of Basmati rice the other day. Used the 1 part rice / 2 water bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.

We have rice for breakfast, lunch, dinner everyday. I watch my Cambodian mother-in-law cook rice, and it is always perfectly fluffy and soft.

Now, do I get the same results by copying exactly what I see her do, No LOL. I never get the perfect results she gets, not even close. Stumps me.

She always uses Jasmine rice from Thailand. She puts the grains into a pot, adds water to just barely cover the surface, and then stirs the grains around to wash them. She pours out the water, then adds fresh water so it is about an inch above the surface of the grains. Then she boils it with the lid off. Once the water level evaporates and the grains are visible, she lowers the flame to low and puts the lid on for about 20 minutes. then it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back