Thunderbird to Outlook Converters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the more appropriate search title should be "mbox to pst converter software". My workplace IT administration just updated us to a newer Outlook system that no longer supports Thunderbird. I've read that there are some work arounds using IMAP, but that it doesn't support all the functions (calendars, etc.).

After a brief internet search, it seems that it is possible to do a manual download/conversion of Thunderbird data to Outlook, but it seems to be very cumbersome, time consuming, and maybe not complete.

Does anyone have practical advice about completing this conversion? There are numerous programs available for purchase to accomplish this but I cannot find any good review sites to assess them.

Thanks for any advice.

I did this one time, many years ago, and found it to be clunky. Hopefully the software has advanced in that time.

I ultimately just switched the account over to IMAP and did it that way.

Outlook clients usually connect to an Exchange back-end and these are often set up as IMAP. That means your mail is always stored on the Exchange server and your email client, no matter what you use, just "displays" your messages. Have you tried Outlook to see what mail shows up ?

I've had two workplaces switch from something to Outlook.
Both times, the pain was so severe they will never switch to anything else.

This is one application where I suggest just bite the bullet and use pure MS product.
If it isn't horked up now, in about a year it will be as they add all sorts of security and 3rd party scan and loss prevention software that only works with Outlook.
Best to get in now and go through the learning curve with everyone else.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Outlook clients usually connect to an Exchange back-end and these are often set up as IMAP. That means your mail is always stored on the Exchange server and your email client, no matter what you use, just "displays" your messages. Have you tried Outlook to see what mail shows up ?

Yes, I can access my email through Outlook now. [u]What I need to do is transfer all of my dead Thunderbird files (saved emails) to Outlook.[/u] It seems there is a clunky manual method to do this and supposed slick aftermarket programs that do the task painlessly. I.E., https://www.stellarinfo.com/index.php?route=product/buy&buynow_id=152

My coworker* thinks that we need to upgrade first to Microsoft Office 365 (free through workplace), and work from there.

* My coworker got me started on Thunderbird years ago due to its simplicity and very clean, easy to navigate presentation. From the looks of things, I have no choice now but to go with Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back