AMSOIL Euro Classic 5W-40 (EFM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the interest of consolidating inventory to one brand, I am considering AMSOIL Euro Classic 5W-40 for the few Euro vehicles I service. Warranty compliance is a concern since most of these vehicles are MB's that are still under factory or CPO warranty. I have a few out of warranty BMW's that require LL-01 and one Porsche requiring A40 (but is well out of warranty), so formal OEM approval is not a concern on these vehicles.

How does AMSOIL's Classic 5W-40 compare to other options on the market? The other oils I am considering are Motul Xcess 5W-40, Liqui Moly Leichlauf HT 5W-40 and Pentosin HP 5W-30. The three Euro options are widely available from my normal parts supplier and are priced similarly to the AMSOIL (about $6/qt).

Thanks.

Most will think this is crazy but if the price is basically the same for all of the choices, why not use AMSOIL and support an American company.

I will note that I'm not familiar with the others and do not know if they are American or not.

I'd go with Amsoil, especially because you want to consolidate down to one brand. It's a solid choice.

I purchased aforementioned from Pablo. Haven't used it yet. It's on my list. I read great reviews prior to purchase. But, I don't have first hand knowledge.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Pennzoil Euro In 0W-40...

The 5w-40 has LL-01 cert, and the same add pack as the 0W-40...

Runs really well for me..

Motul Xcess would be my choice. You get the added benefit of actually having an approved oil, and the Motul name carries a lot more weight than Amsoil IMHO.

What MB spec are you needing to meet? 229.5, 229.51, 229.3 etc. The Amsoil you listed is not approved for MB 229.51/229.52. Valvoline has approved on spec oils for all of those plus the LL-01 spec. One oil mat do it all depending on the MB spec you need.

living in Cal do you really need an O-W or even 5-W, oils with lower cold flow specs thin + wear out quicker + you pay more for them.

If people are expecting a specified oil, despite being out of warranty, there's a very good chance in these applications that it's going to be a 0w-XX or a 5w-XX, irrespective of any "concerns" over wear or cost. Even outside of warranty, it's sensible for a shop to use a specified oil unless the customer specifically requests or supplies something else.

I would go with Liqui Moly , its a good solid Euro oil. If it is availablelocally like you say , might be easier to keep for your service needs. I have a small Euro fleet I maintain outside of work also , Liqui Moly has worked well. I usually get it on amazon , and if I need a qt or two I can run up the street to NAPA. Amsoil and Motul are awesome but for me its far easier to use the Liqui Moly.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Motul Xcess would be my choice. You get the added benefit of actually having an approved oil, and the Motul name carries a lot more weight than Amsoil IMHO.

Another vote for Motul.
Here is a quote from my Worldpac source:

Individually they are $36 for a 5L If you buy $250 worth at a time I can get them for $29 each.
I can get the 20L kegs for $115 each or $96 each if you buy $250 worth or more at a time.
===============

There is no way AMSOIL can match this and it has no EU certification

Whatever cheapest out of the brand names that have some approvals. WorldPac also has the Pentosin 5/30 on sale now for about 850 for a 55 drum, and the Redline Euro 5/40 is a pretty good deal at just over 925. Buy in bulk and make more money!

Good point. Many of the euro specs are tough, so I'd probably suggest going with whatever is less expensive that meets the actual spec. For your consolidation needs however, Amsoil may just make it easier for you.

Originally Posted By: benjy
living in Cal do you really need an O-W or even 5-W, oils with lower cold flow specs thin + wear out quicker + you pay more for them.
The beauty of the 0w and 5W is you can use it from Death Valley to Lake Tahoe ski trips in the winter. When I lived in San Bruno Calif. We would be going water Skiing at Lake Berryessa and we would see cars with snow skis on roof racks going snow skiing. Most of California isn't the Bay Area or the Los Angles valley. I have seen tempextremes from 0*f in the high desert to 110* in Palm springs.

Is there an oil that carries European approvals that isn't a 0W/5W - 30/40?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Is there an oil that carries European approvals that isn't a 0W/5W - 30/40?

Castrol tws 10w60 there is also Castrol 5w50

vw508.00 0w20 for thinner

Last edited:
I have used the LM you mentioned, and Amsoil EFM. I have also used M1 and Castrol.
I really like the Amsoil in my old MB car.
The EFM has factory approvals for MB gas engines (229.5) and the Porsche A40, VW 502/500, and they say they "recommend" it for BMW LL-01.
I would have no reservations using it for any of those euro applications.
In my case, the LM and the current Redline I have in it both had a slow leak. When the Amsoil was in it for 6k miles, not a drop. Maybe coincidence, but the Amsoil was between both oil runs, so I didn't fix anything in between.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
The EFM has factory approvals for MB gas engines (229.5) and the Porsche A40, VW 502/500, and they say they "recommend" it for BMW LL-01.

It has 502 00 approval?

The motul you're speaking of 8100 is available on Amazon and if you're a Prime member get it in 2 days is relatively inexpensive. It's the xcess 5/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back