Fuel Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some fuel line for my chainsaw at the hardware store that is made by Oregon. On the box it says it's for equipment made before 2009. Anyone know why?

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Yup. What he said.
Today's fuels eat the older fuel lines. Don't ask me how I know...

That must be why I had to redo all the fuel lines on my old old old Homelite weed whacker. I never even thought of that!

Originally Posted By: neil57
Probably not rated for fuel with ethanol.

That makes no sense. Nobody would sell OPE fuel line these days that was not tolerant of ethanol. All of the fuel line on the Oregon site is listed for ethanol use.

Oregon does have fuel line that is EPA/Carb compliant and fuel line that is not. Maybe it has to do with that.

Or, maybe it just means that it is designed to replace fuel line on OPE built before 2009 that did not come originally with ethanol tolerant line. I don't know what the answer is and why the box has that goofy statement. If pre 2009 OPE did not come with ethanol resistant fuel line, no one would replace it with that same product.

Is that the stuff that turns to mush? You would think there would be a spec to look for like there is for fuel injection hose. My spring refresh of old 2 strokes starts with new hoses lately.

Ok....but if it's replacement line why would it matter when the equipment was made? Ethanol in gas is used all over the country. So then it makes no sense to buy that fuel line. Right?

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Ok....but if it's replacement line why would it matter when the equipment was made? Ethanol in gas is used all over the country. So then it makes no sense to buy that fuel line. Right?

I hear you. Hard to say. Could be an ethanol thing or a CARB thing. E10 has been the primary fuel in my area for 30yrs now, so like you say, it's hard to believe all fuel line wouldn't be compatible even pre 2009.

Possibly but I would throw a small piece in E85 and see what happens anyway (the reaction will be much faster than E10). If it gets all soggy in a month or less you know its not compatible with ethanol at all.

Maybe it has to do with fuel evaporating through the line.

Fuel caps on mowers used to be vented, now the tank is vented back to the air box. They shoot for zero emissions.

I worked on a Polaris ranger recently and the fuel line was plastic with no return, pressure regulator is in the tank with the sending unit. It was done so rubber fuel lines dont “emit” fuel vapors. Anything relatively new should never smell like gas cooped up in a garage. If it hasn’t been run of course.

Originally Posted By: racinjason
Maybe it has to do with fuel evaporating through the line.

Fuel caps on mowers used to be vented, now the tank is vented back to the air box. They shoot for zero emissions.

Yeah, this. Like how the tank reads "In USA use unleaded fuel only". Or cats not for sale in California or the Northeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back