Smoking Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 18 yr old hr214, 5.5hp ohv, push Honda. It is now smoking at start up. Any easy or inexpensive remedies to try before taking in to the dealer?

Thanks, Doug

katsdad, do you know the history of this mower? How much does it smoke?
confused.gif

If you know it wasn't well cared for, the obvious suggestion is worn rings and/or a scored cylinder. Not much short of a rebuild will fix this.

If you know this thing has been neglected over time, do a couple oil changes with a cheap oil (3-5 hour run intervals) and then try running a thicker, straight-weight motor oil like a straight 30 or 40 weight. Adding a little Marvel Mystery oil to the gas will also cut down on crankcase oil consumption.

You'll also want to check the sparkplug at least once per season for signs of fouling (a greasy film).

Not really much you can do 'cept baby the thing and keep it alive as long as possible.

--- Bror Jace

Was reading the "back issues" of this forum and ran across this topic.
Hey, it's ONLY 2 years old!

Anyway, I've discovered that the start up smoke on the Honda OHV's can pretty much be eliminated if you do this-
After shutting off the engine, loosen the dipstick and let the crankcase vent for 1/2 hour or so.
Apparently the crankcase doesn't vent well enough to allow the oil to quickly drain back to the sump, so it tends to puddle around the valve guides.
I ran across this "tip" over at the Garden Web and tried it on mine.
It worked!

It's 18 years old and that is oil enough for it to decide if it wants to smoke or not. Who cares? Run it till it won't run any more and get a new one. Take it to a dealer?
dunno.gif

I would not spend the money to take it to a dealer on a 18 year old mower with a little smoke coming out at start up. Keep an eye on oil level change the oil a couple times a year with HD 30wt. And run it till it drops. The rest of the mower usually wears out before the motor goes to lunch on Honda's unless there was abuse involved.

I also have an 18 yr old Honda HRA214, but it's self propelled. Some 2 years ago it began starting hard and smoking until it warmed up. Power also seemed lacking. Off to the dealer for an inspection and tuneup, actually was worse after it came home. Dealer had installed new plug, air filter, and changed oil. Took it back and they kept it for several days with no improvement noticed. Decided it was worn out so paid $700 for a new Honda.
Began tinkering with the old one as I had ran Mobil 1 for it's entire life and it didn't smoke after warmup. Finally began adjusting throttle cable at engine. After two adjustments and another new plug, the darn thing runs like new. One pull starts, absolutely no smoke, and power like a newborn. What I did I have no idea but suspect that between the choke, full throttle, and governor the cable position had been the cause as it effects all three at the same time.

There are 2 known items with those Honda engines. They do not like high oil levels, and this is the cause of many "smoking on startup" complaints. They also can end up with fuel in the oil. This will contribute to "smoking on startup" as it carries the super thin oil into the combustion chamber while sitting.

Try setting the oil level at the middle to lower end of the range.

Also make sure to get the mower fully up to speed, and (if you have a small lawn) do the entire lawn in one cutting. Don't do half today and half tomorrow.

Chris

I too use an old Honda HR-214. I have been using it for about the past 8 years, but I suspect that it is at least 15 to 20 years old. It has always smoked at startup.

This Spring, I used 10W-30 Mobil-1 when I changed the oil. At that time, I also changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. It ran as well as it always had, but it still smoked at startup.

Earlier this Summer, I read Bill Kapaun's note about loosening the oil cap after shutdown. That seemed to help some. I just loosened it and re-tightened it. I didn't leave it off for half an hour as his post in this thread recommends.

In the middle of August, I had some Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner leftover that I added to the two gallon gas can I use for the mower. I was a fairly strong dose, I think two to three times their recommendation for a maintenance dose. The smoking got worse for a time or two, but in the past two times I started it, it seemed to be getting better. The last time I started it, I had not started the mower for two weeks, and usually it is worse after a long rest. I have only used about half of the gas in the can, but I should have mostly finished it by the end of the season.

I guess the real test to see if this fixed the problem is how it runs next year.

Good luck to all.

I have a Honda mower in its first season. Running M1 10W-30 (changed the original fill after a month per the manual).

I noticed that it has also begun to shoot out some smoke on startup...coincidentally it seems to have started since I began using fuel stabilizer.

I noticed that if I engage the choke while it is running, it starts to smoke a bit. I will try starting without the choke next time to see if that has anything to do with the smoke at startup.

A better question - does it matter? No emissions components to worry about, right?

If the cylinder is horizontal, a little smoke on startup is to be expected, especially if the oil is slightly overfilled. If that's the case, try draining the oil down to the full mark on the dipstick, or possibly half way between full and add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back