Royal Purple oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
Was looking online at RP 20-500 when I noticed the 99/25 + 80/10 claim …
Could not find PRV psi setting of the 20-500? Anybody know it?

Interesting! Exterior are robust and very well made. At least we have some numbers from company. Thanks for posting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I am a big fan of royal purple and used RP filters for a while on my wife’s escape. Great filter, built like a tank, just a bit pricey and may not be locally available everywhere. iIRC the only place that carried them was pep boys.

Have one ready to go for next change bought on amazon. Excellent numbers, very solid, wire backed, there is plenty to like about them.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
There's nothing special about them

Compared to what?

They are a mesh backed fully synthetic media with a silicone ADV, and have a pretty thing can from what I remember. As said, a clone of the Amsoil filter (except has a purple ADV, but is still silicone).
Compared to the other "top tier" filters (Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator Boss, etc) then yeah, nothing special, but comparied to "regular" filters, they are "special"

Not worth the cost IMO, but if somebody wants to spend more, then that is on them.

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” ... The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

They appear to be the same as TRD, Amsoil, and there was a Mercury posted recently too. The Mercury didn't look so good. Maybe they are all the same except for colors. Made by Champ Labs. The purple color rubber valve is one reason they are more expensive. Special part.
I wonder if people are seeing these efficiency ratings and thinking 80% and so on of particles are taken out, leaving 20% in.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wonder if people are seeing these efficiency ratings and thinking 80% and so on of particles are taken out, leaving 20% in.

20% of only the particles less than 10 microns, per the efficiency spec.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Interesting! Exterior are robust and very well made. At least we have some numbers from company. Thanks for posting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

The efficiency looks better than Wix XP and are built like a tank … but I’m looking for a 20+ bypass psi and they don’t seem to post it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

20% of only the particles less than 10 microns, per the efficiency spec.

What happens when the 4 hour test is extended to 8 hours till bypass opens, 16 hours, 32 hours, 64 hours, 128 hours, and 256 hours? Will there be 20% of the particles still remaining with 60 times the number of circulations through the filter?

Wild tangenetial mind spins - that's what happens.
eek.gif

Run any filter to bypass and your efficiency goes down the tube.

Wild tangenetial mind spins - that's what happens.
eek.gif

You said the oil contains 20% particles of a given size at 80% efficiency filter rating. The multi pass efficiency test runs to loaded filter, a certain selected DP, in 4 hours. As you well know. You can bring out your graph showing efficiency spiking just before, or to, bypass. Now can you answer the question, or not, without personal insults, but with discussion?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
There's nothing special about them

Compared to what?

They are a mesh backed fully synthetic media with a silicone ADV, and have a pretty thing can from what I remember. As said, a clone of the Amsoil filter (except has a purple ADV, but is still silicone).
Compared to the other "top tier" filters (Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator Boss, etc) then yeah, nothing special, but comparied to "regular" filters, they are "special"

Not worth the cost IMO, but if somebody wants to spend more, then that is on them.

So if this goes into bipass it does not wash media debris into engine?

Last edited:
What part of "catches 80% at 10 microns and larger" don't you understand? - serious question.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Only if it was mounted vertical with base down.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Only if it was mounted vertical with base down.

Does it have a solid end cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back