Cam Cover Pics...'96 Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 1996 Miata MX-5 1.8L with ~105,000 miles.

Apart for preemptive timing belt renewal (although it's a 'non-interference' engine), water pump, crank and cam seals.
Steady diet of annual OCIs with M1 0W-40 and Fram Ultra XG7317.
Virtually zero oil consumption between changes. Spins to 7000 rpm smoothly and uneventfully.

Purchased from niece four years ago when she shipped out to university.
Had covered almost 100,000 miles at that time, with unknown previous provenance.

Its thumping 133 horsepower is nonetheless a kick in the tail!

Very nice pictures and valve train looks great
smile.gif

Thank You for posting

Originally Posted By: Kira
Would we call that "no varnish"?
I am not sure what to call it, but I seem to recall more than a few times reading on here that M1 in the last "x" years causes aluminum to have a yellow tint. Whether "pre-varnish" or simply removing stains from previous oils, it has been mentioned. For the record, not an M1 hater or fanboy; I do use it, but use other oils as well.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Kira
Would we call that "no varnish"?
I am not sure what to call it, but I seem to recall more than a few times reading on here that M1 in the last "x" years causes aluminum to have a yellow tint. Whether "pre-varnish" or simply removing stains from previous oils, it has been mentioned. For the record, not an M1 hater or fanboy; I do use it, but use other oils as well.

Pass the Kool-Aid this way, buddy! Varnish is varnish is varnish even if it is a micron thick!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back