2008 Volvo C30 2.4i (5244S4) oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Bought an older C30, with now 230 000 km (144 000 miles). Very clean car with still super responsive suspension, steering, brakes and engine. Only problem is a little too much oil consumption which happens when I fool around with it more often. Babied it when I brought it home after purchase, for hundreds of km, and oil level stayed the same.

Manual recommends :
5W-30 / 5W-40 or synthetic : 0W-30 / 0W-40
ILSAC specification GF-3, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1.

I did my first oil change on it and it's currently running dyno 5W-30. This is the oil that it drinks too much of, when pushed harder.

This all happened since the end of April so, summer in Quebec, Canada...a relatively hot one.

From a brief overview, I found these options I need to look into :

1. PCV
2. Ring cocking : Kreen, Valvoline HDEO
3. High mileage oil
4. Additives
5. Thicker grade (40 instead of 30)

If anybody has other solutions to propose, or any specific knowledge about this engine (2.4i, 5244S4, shared by the S40, V50, C70), please let me know.

In the mean time, I'll keep searching the forums.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to check the PCV valve for proper functioning and then take it from there.

It’s more than just a valve in the PCV system. Volvo’s don’t have a PCV Valve. All the pipes and passages need to be replaced or cleaned.

Nothing else will help your oil consumption- you need a PCV overhaul.

Ignore it, and it will get worse, until you blow an engine seal. That gets expensive.

Check out IPD for a complete parts kit for your model/year.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It’s more than just a valve in the PCV system. Volvo’s don’t have a PCV Valve. All the pipes and passages need to be replaced or cleaned.

Nothing else will help your oil consumption- you need a PCV overhaul.

Ignore it, and it will get worse, until you blow an engine seal. That gets expensive.

Check out IPD for a complete parts kit for your model/year.

Did not know that, looked it up and yeah it's a whole breather system. Interesting and not overly expensive.

I have owned many V70 I5 engines though none right now. After you replace the PVC system switch to a Full Syn 0w30 or 0W40. I ran Petro-Canada Duron 0W30 for years. Easy to get in your area. Never had an issue with the PVC system. These engines do poorly on conventional oil.

Sam

Thanks for the replies. I did stumble upon posts on Volvo Forums saying the PCV is a problem with these cars and affects fuel economy. Didn't yet associate it with oil consumption. Astro, how exactly does it blow engine seals? Sam, did anything else go bad on conventional oil?

Thanks

In Europe they are designed for A5/B5 oil, but are run by most people on A3/B4 oil, because it's generally cheaper and easier to get there. I haven't heard any people having problem with the PCV system in these engines, so maybe it is also related to the use of conventional oil ?

I know in Quebec oil can be expensive, good synthetic sometimes hard to get at a good price, etc...last winter I put Rotella T6 0W40 in my Quebec car (not a Volvo though), bought on special at Walmart, cause it was the cheapest 0W I found when I was in the market for oil. That and a Fram ultra (not Walmart, Rockauto), and the car run much smoother than with the 5W30 conventional it had before. It was my first oil buying experience in Canada, and I was quite surprised by the "difficulty" to find a real synthetic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
wink.gif

Conventional oil doesn't meet the specs and it fouls the PVC system faster. If you run any 0W30 or OW40 you'll be fine. Astro14 has posted excellent UOA running 0W40.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back