Upcoming OCI, Stay w/ Quaker State Dexos1 or ?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil change coming due on the Forester. Have had the car on various 5W30 Synthetic Blend oils for majority of the 63,500 miles (102,000 km) currently on the odometer, the last several OCI's it's been Quaker State DEXOS1 synthetic blend and before that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and before that Kendall GT1 synthetic blend (essentially Motorcraft w/ Ti in the add pack).

I was going to just pickup another jug of the Quaker State dexos stuff since the motor (EJ253 non-turbo) runs very quiet on that oil, but being a bitog'er clearly I felt the need to discuss potential "better" options.

It doesn’t really matter. You could go with the Motorcraft oil if you’re that concerned. Ford knows what they are doing with their oils.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
the last several OCI's it's been Quaker State DEXOS1 synthetic blend and before that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and before that Kendall GT1 synthetic blend (essentially Motorcraft w/ Ti in the add pack).

All of those oils are synthetic blend oils at full synthetic prices. Basically, I don't know who buys them, and what their motivation is for doing so, when you can get a synthetic for the same price or a dollar more.

Walmart almost always has a full synthetic Dexos oil for around $20. SuperTech or Quaker State full synthetic, good stuff, good price. And Subaru doesn't need DEXOS oil?

Upgrade to some PP 5w30 its the latest dexos 1 gen 2, hto-6, magic elixir..
and 22.xx at walmart with EASY 10$ rebate you do all online within 5min.

Oil change coming due on the Forester. Have had the car on various 5W30 Synthetic Blend oils for majority of the 63,500 miles (102,000 km) currently on the odometer, the last several OCI's it's been Quaker State DEXOS1 synthetic blend and before that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and before that Kendall GT1 synthetic blend (essentially Motorcraft w/ Ti in the add pack).

I was going to just pickup another jug of the Quaker State dexos stuff since the motor (EJ253 non-turbo) runs very quiet on that oil, but being a bitog'er clearly I felt the need to discuss potential "better" options.

My advice is to stay with ONE oil for the next 200K and one OCI and then make a judgement as to the quality of the product and evaluate the OCI you chose. Skipping from oil to oil doesn't help at all in judging the quality of the oil you use.

Originally Posted By: tig1

My advice is to stay with ONE oil for the next 200K and one OCI and then make a judgement as to the quality of the product and evaluate the OCI you chose. Skipping from oil to oil doesn't help at all in judging the quality of the oil you use.

And after 200K he would realize PCMO is a commodity and compairable results are obtained no matter the brand. The specification matters.

Originally Posted By: tig1

My advice is to stay with ONE oil

I have the cheapest one because the bottom line is they are so close it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
the last several OCI's it's been Quaker State DEXOS1 synthetic blend and before that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and before that Kendall GT1 synthetic blend (essentially Motorcraft w/ Ti in the add pack).

All of those oils are synthetic blend oils at full synthetic prices. Basically, I don't know who buys them, and what their motivation is for doing so, when you can get a synthetic for the same price or a dollar more.

Walmart almost always has a full synthetic Dexos oil for around $20. SuperTech or Quaker State full synthetic, good stuff, good price. And Subaru doesn't need DEXOS oil?

I agree in part with your assessment, but avoidance of full syn for me has more to do with the finicky Head Gaskets of the Subaru boxer engine. They improved the HG design in model yr 2008 but they can can still be problematic. I've not kept my head into Subaru stuff as much as I used to but I think the FA and FB series engines beginning in 2011 no longer have HG issues like the previous gens. But mine is the previous gen. Subaru tech once told me best not to go full syn on my model yr.

OK, sounds good. Some engines are problematic with synthetic oil. I put it in a low mileage, newer Toyota once and it leaked like crazy from the valve cover gaskets, on a like new engine that NEVER leaked any oil. Went back to conventional oil and the leaks stopped, and went away.

Since your car doesn’t “require” “synthetic”, I’d just go with conventional oil unless you’re exceeding Subaru’s recommended OCI.

If the semi-syns are working for you, I'd stay with that. As for brand, there are many great choices--I prefer QS/Pennzoil stuff as they've always worked well for me (with UOA's to back up my choice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back