HF Tool Cabinets and Chests - Take another look

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-red-roller-cabinet-64133.html

Bought this + the top cabinet + the end locker. Best $1000 I ever spent. Not the $6500 for Snap On. Incredible build quality and finish. Gave my still very adequate 34 year old Craftsman to my son. Just wasn't big enough. Read the reviews.

All you doubters need to open up your minds and take a look. HF is on a mission - lots of other new lines of quality tools also.

Last edited:
a guy at work bought a US General Tool cart and its one of the nicest tool carts I've seen, the paint quality is great. and for 170 bucks you can't go wrong.

It doesn't cost enough for the snap on guys. They figure it's a badge of honor to make payments.
If they would take the time to look, All the Harbor Freight boxes are fantastic deals. Check the reviews

Originally Posted By: 928
They figure it's a badge of honor to make payments.
I hope not, badge of honor? It's just debt, plain and simple and debt is stupid if you can avoid it.

HF is no longer junk, especially in recent years with their new brands. I find people think HF is junk because they bought some random [censored] like a garden hose attachment ten years ago that sucked, therefore everything HF sells is junk for all time. Only thing is they've come a long way. Kind of like the Hyundai of tools.

Their quality usually goes by segments, for their "serious" stuff like hand tools, floor jacks, impacts, jack stands, toolbags, chests, power tools, the quality is excellent. It's also not a case of the quality matching the price (AKA "you get what you pay for"). In these cases, their quality is as good or better than other companies, the low price is just icing and isn't indicative of bad quality.

I'm thrilled with my black wrinkle finish, 3-cabinet ~$150 HFT special. I bought it 6yrs ago or so.

They make a nice tool chest. If I were in the market for one I'd buy it from HF without hesitation. They are really stepping up their game.

You guys who are calling the HF boxes “incredible” and “excellent” are laying it on a bit thick.

I have the 56” box. I use it at work as an aircraft mechanic. I’d describe it as very good for the money (I paid $689, plus tax, with a coupon, a couple of years ago).

No, the quality is not as good as a box from one of the professional tool companies like Snap-On, Mac, Matco, or Cornwell. But the price reflects that.

They are more than adequate for the money - a very good deal. They’re one of the more popular choices in my line of work.

I’ve noticed they’re now offering them in blue. I wish the blue had been available when I bought mine.

I have the 4 drawer tool cart with flip lid purchased it a few years ago, was on sale for $99 and they accepted the 25% coupon couldn't let that deal slip by for $75.

I had a US General a couple years back. Great tool chest but the drawer stops are cheap and failed within weeks. Cheap rubber. Had to lock the drawers to roll it. Couldn't find a source for new ones and it was a real pain.

My latest box is a Craftsman. Soft-close ball-bearing drawers with real latches and cheaper on sale than the HF box. Thinner cheaper steel, but it stays at home and doesn't have to move around much.

I don't get the whole Snap-On thing. They make nice tools but are rarely the best in any category.

The reviews are always glowing if product works surprisingly well enough at a fraction of price point of the reaaltively expensive best in class item.

Glad you are happy!

The Series 2 is new, they only have the 44 so far at my store and it does seem nicer, particularly for the price.

I have a non series 2 56” I got really cheap. I’d do it again... It is a good box.

But incredible? Umm no.

HF has some gems and tool boxes are one of them. But If I wasn’t paying I’d pick Snap On or Mac (or even Matco or Cornwell) every time.

Nice looking tool chest! Probably perfect for the home owner or budding mechanic.

Watch sears as well. They have had some decent sales. Sears used to be made by waterloo in the usa. If thats not the case, then you might as well buy whichever tool chest is priced better. I have an older 41 inch craftsman griplatch top and bottom chest, made by waterloo.

If you need a cheap tool box watch HD and Lowes after Xmas and Father's day (or random slow times in the year). Cheaper than HF. You judge the quality.

HF doesn't want to be cheap, they want to be known to be cheap. They want to make money like everyone else. Like any business, they're great to patronize during the growth period when they're trying to impress you and build your loyalty. If I buy a tool from them and it breaks I'm confident the replacement will be as good or potentially better, if they switch suppliers. A tool from Sears will be replaced with something cheezier or from a worse COO.

The HF boxes are nice and definitely a fair deal. The only things that are missing are the lock and roll feature and the one that doesn't allow more than one drawer at a time to be open. MOST guys are smart enough not to open five drawers at a time while looking for something. What if someone else is looking to borrow something?

I have a big Snap On box. I started the process back when I was 18 or 19, bought a small Mac top chest, paid for it and then the Snap On man made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I upped boxes three or four times over the years as my storage needs increased. Now, my box is long paid for and I use it at home. It's nice to have. If I was starting from zero and needed a big box for home use, I'd certainly buy a HF.

Last edited:
Thats the one I have, well a older version but looks the same.

Is worth every penny and some. One of the best buys I have ever made in my tool collection.

Theyre great deals for the consumer or homeowner, but there is no way they compare to a quality box from the big names. With 200 lbs in the top drawer, that thing is flimsy and shakes side to side. It wiggles empty with just the drawer out! The snap on is much stronger, higher quality bearings and drawer slides etc. I would never trust one of these long term in a professional environment, i would guess it would last 5-8 years in a shop. Of course, it kills snap on in cost vs return, but it would drive me nuts to see that wiggle from the drawers.

Last edited:
30289086993_9c69fef8d1_b.jpg

In the early days when Al Gore invented the internet HF used to
run around anon on forums shilling their wares. It was so amateurish that
it was disgusting. That ran me off. I have many tool boxes and don't use
any of them. The tools end up on my work benches.

In those days the HF workforce didn't know what an IP address was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back