Satisfied with your oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foe me, the synthetics have gotten so cheap, I just use them.
I have used the Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend for years.
All good.

That's what I have been hearing that pricing is competitive between conventional, syn blend and synthetic that people are just going synthetic.

Pretty generic question but I think most that run conventional and syn bled would say yes.

The only reason I'm running synthetic is that I can get often it for less than $12/5 qt jug. I stock up for the next 3-4 oil changes and Im good for a couple of years.
Idumitsu, Qauker State synthetic, Pennzoil, M1 are all available if you watch for clearance sales and rebates.

I have used PYB, Castrol GTX and Valvoline Max Life for the last few cars and it has performed great for 5K mile OCI.

Oil is easy nowadays. Just grab one with the proper certifications and your golden.

The PQIA website has lifted the veil on this oil is garbage compared to that oil. The few oils that find that are bad oil have no API rating or deceptive markings. If its not a complete scam oil its usually pretty good.

What's the secret to getting oil so cheap? I hear fellow BITOG members talk about rebate/coupons.

Run MaxLife 5w30 synblend in both cars and am 100% satisfied. Resist burning in both cars. At $16 per 5 quarts with no coupon it cannot be beat for my use.

I have never gotten a super clearance aisle deal at Walmart. I see members get them all the time. My WM is an old miser. The coupons can be found on oil company websites and sometimes linked from auto parts store sites.

I have always used conventional until my scion and wife's corolla requiring 0w20. Conventional never ever let me down.

You can see the Promotions or Rebates section of this BITOG forum for alerts for the rebates & sales. Or, you can bookmark a few oil company promotions pages (like this: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions) and check every so often. Most rebates from oil companies run a few months, so you do have time. Last year, Pennzoil's rebate was an all year affair, this year they are doing two separate ones. That's how I get my oil at $12 and under for 5 quarts (at least when I buy the oil at Walmart). Also, many car parts stores run oil + filter deals that also get you the oil at that price, with the rebate.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
What's the secret to getting oil so cheap? I hear fellow BITOG members talk about rebate/coupons.

Last edited:
I'm happy to run conventional or semi-synthetic for 5k to 6k miles.

But I run thicker oils with Euro specs, so conventional 15W40 that is A3/B3 or 10W40 semi-synthetic that is A3/B4. In theory they should be good to 9k miles, according to my owners manual, and probably 10k miles for the semi-synthetics, but why push it.

Here (Oz) there is a big price difference between conventional, semi-synthetic and full synthetic. It's about double the price going from conventional to full synthetic. But I do tend to go longer with a better oil.

Here they have just released Castrol GTX UltraClean 15W40 which is a semi-synthetic but sold as the Castrol conventional product, it's rated API SN and ACEA A3/B3, and they have it on sale at $15 for 5L. Which is the most oil for my $ that I can get right now.

Right now I'm 4k miles into my last oil change with Penrite Vantage 10W40 semi-synthetic (SN, A3/B4, VW 502/505 with 1220 ppm Zinc and a starting TBN of 11) and it's looking fine. Not even thinking of changing it yet.

What would it be that would make someone dissatisfied with their oil ? I've run all sorts of oils, and there has never been one that would me make go ''uh oh, that's bad, I'd better drain it and put something else in.''

I am seriously considering going back to regular Dino oil once my current stash is depleted? (2 yrs likely?)
I normally do 2 OC's per vehicle per year, which are normally way under 10,000 kms each so running synthetic really isn't beneficial to me $$$ wise.

I rarely tow anything heavy with my truck but I like synthetic in there for the cold winters we sometimes receive up here, but I believe regular Dino's also flow pretty good nowadays in the cold?

I never pay full pop for synthetics anyway, but seeing these current prices even cheaper, based on my driving style/numbers, I think it just makes more sense? Thoughts?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-conventionalengine-oil-5-l-0289304p.html

In the old days when a conventional oil could have been just Group I or maybe a Group I & II blend, while a synthetic was most likely a Group IV & V blend, then they were miles apart in quality.

Now days a conventional oil is pure Group II or maybe a Group II & III blend, while many synthetics are pure Gtoup III, the gap has closed a lot.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Following a 5,000 OCI, how many are still satisfied with conventional or a syn blend?

For a little less than $3/quart after rebate for PU, I wouldn't even consider conventional oil or a blend.

Originally Posted By: irv
I never pay full pop for synthetics anyway, but seeing these current prices even cheaper, based on my driving style/numbers, I think it just makes more sense? Thoughts?

PYB would do very well for your vehicles, OCI, and driving. Good choice.

For a non - turbo PFI engine , the use of conventional or syn blend for 5K miles is valid ... Throw in a newer DFI or DFI + Turbo engine and your likely moving to synthetic and a 4K to 5K OCI .

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Foe me, the synthetics have gotten so cheap, I just use them.
I have used the Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend for years.
All good.

That’s about the size of it and nowadays Wallymart always has one of them on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back