Should I run 5w30 in my ram hemi for towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, wanted some opinions.

I just picked up a 2019 ram limited with the hemi, probably about 90% of the miles are towing a 5000 lb travel trailer around Oklahoma and Arkansas. I noticed that the oil temp runs about 212-220 without the trailer but about 230-245 with the trailer. Should I run a 5w20 oil for all temps like the owners manual calls for or go with a 5w30 to deal with hotter temps?

I’ll probably use penzoil ultra in whatever weight at my first oil change with a fram ultra filter. For oci I plan to go by the computer and change it whenever convenient when I get to 10% or so.

Any opinions about the oil weight I should use would be appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Jaymie
Interesting, is that because it won’t flow as quickly?

Yes, but that is not a significant criteria in this application.

On the 2500 with 5.7 they recommend 5w30 when towing with a combined weight over 14000#. So I don't see why you shouldn't run 5w30.

The new ram with the air suspension is great, it levels out nicely with a load on it, and the ride is amazing, much better than my 2500 with the Cummins that I traded in, it has plenty of power to tow my 5000 lb travel trailer but obviously not near the torque the 6.7 had. It downshifts to rev up a lot but it’s so quiet that if I wasn’t looking at the dash I’d barely notice.

Sounds like running a 5w30 for the summer is a good idea, then I’ll switch back to a 5w20 for winter.

Log oil temps with each grade. Be interesting and perhaps informative to see whether there’s a difference in oil temp when you’re towing.

FWIW, I ran a thick straight-grade SAE20 in my heavy-towing fleet that had several of the Dodge hemi pickups in it. Also Fords and Chevys.

Go ahead and run a 30wt Ive been using 5w30 in my silverado spec 'd for 0W20 for awhile and dont notice any difference in anything. The synthetic 20s and 30s are soooooo close in viscosity at operating temp.
Whebever its 105* out like today, whenever my truck is idling im just a little bit happier with a 30wt in there. Nice truck thos new rams look pretty sweet!

Where are the high vis guys today?
35.gif
36.gif

Great truck, drive it in good health! I'd run a 5W30. I run 5W30 in both my Chrysler products calling for 5W20. I run a 5W30 that meets the MS6395 spec, PP and PU do.

w20? w30? trying to save a buck a month on fuel? the w40's offer much more so your hemi won;t wheeze out 100k down the road pull'n like that.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Where are the high vis guys today?

An ILSAC 5W30 ain't high vis in my books.
The 16, 20 and 30 grades are thin
With 40 grades being a good middle weight.
At 50, 60 and 70 grades you are in thick oil country.

OP, I'm sure a 5W30 will be fine. Due to higher viscous drag and heating in the bearings, the 30 grade will run a little hotter that the 20 grade, but it will still be thicker than the 20 grade even with this minor temp increase. Member Shannow has done these experiments in his car with a thermocouple in his sump measuring oil temp.

Any of the good name brand full synthetics would be fine in 5W30, PP, M1, Edge, etc

The Hemi requires 5W-20 for proper operation of the MDS. Go by what the book says. These forum members that don't own or drive a Hemi will not be there when your engine warranty work is denied because you are using the wrong weight oil. It would be a good idea to change out the factory fill and go with the Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum ASAP. I have owned many Hemi's and have done so for each one. For your application I would change out the oil every 6 months or 5K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
The Hemi requires 5W-20 for proper operation of the MDS. Go by what the book says. These forum members that don't own or drive a Hemi will not be there when your engine warranty work is denied because you are using the wrong weight oil. It would be a good idea to change out the factory fill and go with the Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum ASAP. I have owned many Hemi's and have done so for each one. For your application I would change out the oil every 6 months or 5K miles.

..................^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

If the MDS has problems with moving from a 20 grade to a 30 grade oil, then how does it work when it's cold ?

M1 0W20 KV100 = 8.7 cSt
M1 5W30 KV100 = 11.0 cSt

But

M1 0W20 KV40 = 44.8 cSt

There is a bigger change in viscosity in going from a temp of 40C to 100C with the same oil than in going from a 20 grade to a 30 grade oil at the same temp.

And these oils get a lot thicker again as they approach freezing and below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back