Out with the old in with the new. 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Thanks all, quite enjoying it so far. It's definitely a bit less spritely than my focus was in the turns (of course, it's also 7 inches longer, 1 inch longer wheelbase, and 1 inch wider) the suspension is a lot more soft sprung too. So it's comfortable riding but the handling isn't quite as good. But I knew that going in, and it's still fun to drive and it's not like I plan on ever tracking my car to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Nice ride!
Interesting plate, back story?

Not much to tell, I like anime and naval history/warships, and Akizuki was a WWII Japanese destroyer, and also one of my favorite characters from a Japanese game/anime/manga series that turned WWII ships into girls (because that's what Japan does). It combines my interest for those two things into one plate lol.

Got it! It's a "Girl"!

P.S. Congrats and many miles of use. My '16 GSW is still growing on me... :-(( I may have to move it to wife+ kiddos mover....

The Japanese did make attractive looking ships if nothing else.
2880px-Akizuki.jpg

AFPYkmG.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Nice indeed! hope you enjoy many years of trouble-free driving.

HM......it's a VW............

Originally Posted By: CKN

Should have bought a Crown Vic?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Hey it has a 6y/72k warranty so I don't have to worry about anything for at least that long lol

hope you're hanging onto it for awhile
shocked.gif
..... The Volkswagen Jetta loses 48.1 percent of its initial value after three years of ownership. That makes it the cheapest vehicle to buy on this list of the fastest-depreciating cars in America.

For $13,157, a three-year-old Jetta might make an attractive option for someone looking for a nice and comfortable used vehicle.
quoted from autoblog..

Originally Posted By: earthbound
shocked.gif
..... The Volkswagen Jetta loses 48.1 percent of its initial value after three years of ownership. That makes it the cheapest vehicle to buy on this list of the fastest-depreciating cars in America.

For $13,157, a three-year-old Jetta might make an attractive option for someone looking for a nice and comfortable used vehicle.
quoted from autoblog..

The resale value can't be any worse than my Focus was.

Pfft, why buy a 3 year old one for $13xxx when you can buy a brand-spanking-new one for $18xxx with the warranty? My '17 stickered for $24k as I recall and the "price" on the lease documents was $18395. So the nominal depreciation is from MSRP, not actual out-the-door price.

I've always thought that VW styling was a bit bland.
But this new Jetta is very nice to look at.
A big step forward in design.
Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
shocked.gif

quoted from autoblog..

The resale value can't be any worse than my Focus was.

Enjoying a new vehicle is more important that worrying about depreciation.

shocked.gif

quoted from autoblog..
I paid right around 15,000 for my 17.... Also Have an extended warranty till 140K miles. VW do have really bad resell, but if you keep them long enough it won't matter.

Very nice car. Many reviewers have raved over that sweet little 1.4T. If you pay attention, it is surprising how much better a VW looks at 10 to 15 years old than just about any domestic brand. This from a guy who has driven domestics almost exclusively for over 30 years. VeeDub is at the top of my list for checking out next time around, came extremely close to buying a Passat when I bought my Lincoln but didn't want to spend the money in the end (was looking at new).

Part of the Jetta depreciation thing IMO is the market gets flooded with Jetta rental sell offs every year.

shocked.gif

quoted from autoblog..

No idea on 2019 Jetta. However the massive depreciation is off MSRP. In VW case MSRP is not selling price. For example Passat is 50% at 3 years. However at same time locally they are selling $28k MSRP Passat brand new for $20.5k. So in 3 years a $6k depreciation is on par or better then many vehicles sold near MSRP.

Just bought one of these myself about 3 weeks ago. Already have 2,500 miles on it thanks to a road trip and some longer A to Bs in the time period. I have a Jetta S M/T. The manual is a really huge difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 which requires some clutch slippage to make a smooth gear shift. It's been taking some getting used to, but at this point it's no longer an annoyance. What remains an annoyance -- and is common on all M/Ts -- is the grind when going into reverse. You have to go to 1st, then Reverse to avoid it when starting from a stationary position. I guess they didn't put a synchro on the R gear or something. I plan to officially log my aggravation with a complaint at the dealer Service Department, but this lack of refinement element is avoidable. The engine is dead silent at idle and so quiet when driving, it actually took me a while to get used to shifting it (as my other car is a Mustang race car and that's very loud and, up until now, my own manual vehicle). The seats are comfortable enough, although I will likely have them re-done in leather. The radio is fine, although being a tweaker I'll probably put in some improved speakers. The highway power is more than sufficient. It has a wonderful turning radius. The stock Falken tires are so far great.

Overally, for $14K, I got a car with blind spot monitoring, a great paint color (white/silver), and the thing got 43 mpg on my trip from Atlanta to Chicago. I really feel like I got a great deal.

I will likely get some lowering springs and a wheel upgrade for mine in the future, but that's just to make it mine. It handles fine.

In context of this particular forum though, I'm very aggrevated VW requires 508 00 fancy pants 0W20 oil in the 2019 while the 2018 and earlier 1.4T requires a 5W40 oil with a different spec. What in earth is different between the two model year engines? Probably absolutely nothing and they are using 0W20 for economy. And what makes 508 spec so important? I have done Blackstone Labs tests on oil in all of my past cars with Penn Plat or Pen Ultra Plat from Walmart... always wonderful results. I really don't understand what justifies a 5Q jug of oil being $60-80 with the 508 certification vs. a Penn Plat 0W20 for a maximum of $28 for the same amount of oil. And why can't I use 0W40 Castrol that's also at Walmart for like $29? Just goofy what VW does with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wildcatgoal
Just bought one of these myself about 3 weeks ago. Already have 2,500 miles on it thanks to a road trip and some longer A to Bs in the time period. I have a Jetta S M/T. The manual is a really huge difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 which requires some clutch slippage to make a smooth gear shift. It's been taking some getting used to, but at this point it's no longer an annoyance. What remains an annoyance -- and is common on all M/Ts -- is the grind when going into reverse. You have to go to 1st, then Reverse to avoid it when starting from a stationary position. I guess they didn't put a synchro on the R gear or something. I plan to officially log my aggravation with a complaint at the dealer Service Department, but this lack of refinement element is avoidable. The engine is dead silent at idle and so quiet when driving, it actually took me a while to get used to shifting it (as my other car is a Mustang race car and that's very loud and, up until now, my own manual vehicle). The seats are comfortable enough, although I will likely have them re-done in leather. The radio is fine, although being a tweaker I'll probably put in some improved speakers. The highway power is more than sufficient. It has a wonderful turning radius. The stock Falken tires are so far great.

Overally, for $14K, I got a car with blind spot monitoring, a great paint color (white/silver), and the thing got 43 mpg on my trip from Atlanta to Chicago. I really feel like I got a great deal.

I will likely get some lowering springs and a wheel upgrade for mine in the future, but that's just to make it mine. It handles fine.

In context of this particular forum though, I'm very aggrevated VW requires 508 00 fancy pants 0W20 oil in the 2019 while the 2018 and earlier 1.4T requires a 5W40 oil with a different spec. What in earth is different between the two model year engines? Probably absolutely nothing and they are using 0W20 for economy. And what makes 508 spec so important? I have done Blackstone Labs tests on oil in all of my past cars with Penn Plat or Pen Ultra Plat from Walmart... always wonderful results. I really don't understand what justifies a 5Q jug of oil being $60-80 with the 508 certification vs. a Penn Plat 0W20 for a maximum of $28 for the same amount of oil. And why can't I use 0W40 Castrol that's also at Walmart for like $29? Just goofy what VW does with that.

I think in manual should say also VW504.00/507.00 and VW 502.00.
Just use Castrol 0W40. $24 for 5qt in Wal Mart.

The manual states you can use one of those - can't remember - if 508 is not available and if it's like a "that's all there is available in the middle of the desert" situation, and really only to add oil if it's low, not to be the full fill and OCI. It's really quite "stern". What concerns me is that I have this 6 year warranty I absolutely must maintain (it's one of the reasons I bought the car) and this isn't a brand with the world's finest reliability reputation and/or repair costs. I mean, my insurance went UP on a $14K car, replacing a $30K car (that was $46K new). Because... it's a VW and things cost more to replace. Blew my mind. Heh, for example, VW's oil filter is like $12. It's a Mann filter - a good filter but it better be made in a factory paying a living wage, not China, for that price.

I just want to know what fancy engine design requires magic sauce VW-approved oil at at least $40 more when my non-VW approved Penn synthetic products come back from Blackstone rosy even after 10K... even on other turbo DI engines.

Originally Posted by wildcatgoal
The manual states you can use one of those - can't remember - if 508 is not available and if it's like a "that's all there is available in the middle of the desert" situation, and really only to add oil if it's low, not to be the full fill and OCI. It's really quite "stern". What concerns me is that I have this 6 year warranty I absolutely must maintain (it's one of the reasons I bought the car) and this isn't a brand with the world's finest reliability reputation and/or repair costs. I mean, my insurance went UP on a $14K car, replacing a $30K car (that was $46K new). Because... it's a VW and things cost more to replace. Blew my mind. Heh, for example, VW's oil filter is like $12. It's a Mann filter - a good filter but it better be made in a factory paying a living wage, not China, for that price.

I just want to know what fancy engine design requires magic sauce VW-approved oil at at least $40 more when my non-VW approved Penn synthetic products come back from Blackstone rosy even after 10K... even on other turbo DI engines.

There is a lot of misconception in your post.
A. I owned numerous VW's, they been on average more reliable than Japanese cars I owned.
B. My insurance went down $14 once I went from BMW X5 35d to Toyota Sienna.
C. $12 filter is not expensive filter. Not sure what do you expect? MANN filters are made usually in Germany, Poland, Italy, Bosnia and Mexico. Air filter will probably be Made in Bosnia.
With German cars everything is about preventive maintenance. And simple one, use good oil, good filters and that is it. One thing about them is that you do not have to wonder wether your car is having a hole next to rear tires like I do with Toyota due to noise coming from tires. It turns out is is just car being Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back