Scooped up a 2009 V Star 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
Less than 5K miles on it - belonged to a doctor.
Anyone have experience with putting an old school fuel petcock on one of these in place of the vacuum operated fuel pump & gas cock?
The bike has been sitting for a long time and needs the fuel system/carb etc cleaned & flushed.

Another unit for my stash of T4 15W-40
cool.gif

Oh man I remember how fiddly vacuum operated petcocks were on my old GS500.

I seem to recall the trick is to buy a similar sized petcock from an old school bike (like a Honda dirt bike) and figure out how to mount it up. You might have to scour the "new old stock" listings on eBay to find something of decent quality. Cheapo Chinese and modern petcocks don't seem to be built as well.

Just remember to shut it off after each ride unless you want to flood your carb bowls!

Go to the specific forum for that motorcycle, and the folks will recommend what the (non-vacuum) common pet cock replacement is for that motorcycle.

For my Suzuki motorcycle, the common petcock replacement is from a Yamaha 660 grizzly.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A v-twin 250 4 stroke?

That caught my attention. A 250cc is usually a single cylinder. Pretty interesting that they made it a two cylinder. Those must be tiny little pistons.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A v-twin 250 4 stroke?

That caught my attention. A 250cc is usually a single cylinder. Pretty interesting that they made it a two cylinder. Those must be tiny little pistons.

125cc each. Not all that uncommon
laugh.gif

Whatever petcock will bolt in. Often it'll turn out to be a "Quad Runner" petcock that bolts right in
smile.gif

Any bike acquisition is a good acquisition, congrats !! When you ride, you don't think of your problems or stress. It's therapeutic. I call it CCT for Cognitive Cylinder Therapy.
crackmeup2.gif

Go to the specific forum for that motorcycle, and the folks will recommend what the (non-vacuum) common pet cock replacement is for that motorcycle.

For my Suzuki motorcycle, the common petcock replacement is from a Yamaha 660 grizzly.

I joined Virago Tech ... posted there this morning
I'm a member at SuzukiSavage as well.
Just hoping for a little (positive) input here

A v-twin 250 4 stroke?

The venerable Honda Rebel 250 is an inline twin, and they've been around for many years.

I've never taken a close look at one. Not common, but you do see them here...I just like the look of them. We used to have a 250cc learner limit, so there were all sorts of 250's around. Now we have a power to weight ratio and the 250 market isn't as popular.

nice specimen! I grabbed a '14 with 25 miles last September...put nearly 3k on it; original owner bought a yamaha extended warranty...still covered thru October 2019; might do the rear turn signal relocation after that to allow saddlebags...bought a small cargo rack for a tailbag & I use a backpack when needed; worst part of maintaining my V Star 250 is the chain clean & lube...yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back